2008 Waitlist Movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SketchLazy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an email from Sandra Davis today for UMMS. Had little chance of getting off the middle tier waitlist so it didn't matter much, but this is what it said:

'As we have now passed the May 15 national commitment date we are providing this general update. As of the writing of this message we currently have confirmed 171 students for our 2008 entering class. (Our target size for each entering class is 170) It appears that we will have minimal, if any, activity from our wait list. '

With a letter like this, and what seems like little or no waitlist movement from other schools, is anyone else wondering what happened this year? Even though it's well past May 15th, some schools still seem overbooked. Was it really that crazy and competitive this year?
 
I'm glad I'm not alone... I was promised massive waitlist movement post-May 15th... and I've seen very little (and none at the schools I'm waiting on).

What's up?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In fairness, it seems like there definitely was massive movement immediately before and after May 15. However, it doesn't seem like there's been any at all since.

I completely agree with this- there was tons of movement at many schools right around May 15, but since then there has been nada. Maybe people are taking the full time to deliberate between two offers they have (a lot of schools give 10 days to 2 weeks from the date of the offer to return a deposit at this stage of the game)...maybe schools over accepted again this year like they did last year, which will utimately result in another low waitlist season. Who knows. It's still way to early to tell.

It's still early, still only May, so there is definitely at least still June and July for movement. There is definitely still hope to be had!