This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dent28

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would look into a masters. I’ve gotten C’s in orgo and I was able to get accepted. It’s not always necessary to retake any science classes unless you fail them. Best thing I did was take more credits the following semester and ace my science classes. My GPA was 3.5+ though by the end of it

IMO you should always take your prereqs if you get under a B, because you can select the grade you want to go into your pre-req GPA or BCPM GPA. Definitely take new classes as well though, don't look like all you did was just retake classes. Aim for an A in all of them. I think if you retake the C, C+, B-, maybe even retake the easiest B's that you know you'll get an A in, and then take new classes and score A or A-, and you can possibly push your GPA to a 3.4-3.45 and your pre-req GPA will be a lot higher.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMO you should always take your prereqs if you get under a B, because you can select the grade you want to go into your pre-req GPA or BCPM GPA. Definitely take new classes as well though, don't look like all you did was just retake classes. Aim for an A in all of them. I think if you retake the C, C+, B-, maybe even retake the easiest B's that you know you'll get an A in, and then take new classes and score A or A-, and you can possibly push your GPA to a 3.4-3.45 and your pre-req GPA will be a lot higher.
I'm in a similar situation as OP, and I just wanted to know what you meant by saying "you can select the grade you want to go into your pre-req GPA or BCPM GPA."? Is it possible to not include the C's in our application if we retook the classes and aced them?

I'm in a similar situation as OP, and I just wanted to know what you meant by saying "you can select the grade you want to go into your pre-req GPA or BCPM GPA."? Is it possible to not include the C's in our application if we retook the classes and aced them?
No. Listen when you retake classes, it’s not like you’re sitting there retaking a year of classes you didn’t do that well in. A masters would be a better option at this point. I’ve gotten multiple B’s and C’s in science prereq’s and never retook any of them. Plus, most dental schools average out your grades if you retake them. Going from a B to an A- on a retake would average u at probably a B+. You can not choose what grades to show. They can see every college class you took from being in highschool taking duel-enrollment, to your last college semester.

I also didn’t do a master’s after getting those grades in science prereqs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would not retake classes you got a C or better in.

I would apply next cycle and also apply to a masters program if I was you.

So to clarify, both grades do go into your overall application. You must report all grades.

However, on the application, you get to select the grades you want to go into certain GPA calculations such as pre-reqs. I made an error and said BCPM, this is not true, it’ll calculate all of them. They can see all your grades but on the section it’ll show the one you put.

I don’t know what grades you got low grades in, but if it is a pre-req, you’ll be asked to select the class you took for the pre-req. If you took two, just select the one that you did better on. The lower one will still be included in your overall, but now your pre-req looks better.

That said, the choice of masters vs retaking classes depends on multiple things. Firstly, depends on what your current GPA is and how many classes you need to take to get a good GPA. IMO a 3.3 with 90 credits completed warrants just taking more and retaking bad classes. If you get a 3.8 by graduation (120 credits) you could get a 3.4+ and if you then retake your worst classes and take more science credits and get another 3.7-3.8, you’ll potentially get a overall 3.45+ which is enough to land you into dental school with a 21+ DAT. That’s not the greatest GPA, but it’s not bad. I would retake the bad pre-req classes and do really well so my prereq GPA looks better. Anything lower than a 3.3 GPA and I would consider a masters because it would take too many credits to get your GPA into a competitive range.

Secondly, if your GPA isnt under a 3.3, you should calculate how much it costs to up your GPA to a competitive range. 3.45+ is decently competitive. Compare the prices with a masters which is another 40k-50k+ living expenses to the retaking classes method could potentially be under 30k at a state school (no community colleges!) so it just really depends. Yes I admit that a masters is better in all situation but it’s unnecessary in certain cases. For example. If you had a 3.4, why would you waste 50k+ to do a masters when you can take two semesters of classes, get a 3.8, and then get a decently competitive GPA. Like I said before, the number to decide this IMO is a 3.3. Anything lower, do a masters. Between 3.3-3.4, consider undergrad courses depending on price. Anything above 3.4 just take some undergrad classes.

So TL;DR, take into the account those two things (your application GPA and how many classes to get to 3.4+, and the cost of a masters vs cost of non-degree classes).

Crush your DAT and if you do well enough you might not even need to retake any classes/take a masters.

I have the exact same GPAs as you (had 2 Fs, 2 Cs) and got 6 interviews this cycle with a 25AA/25TS.

Last edited:
Crush your DAT and if you do well enough you might not even need to retake any classes/take a masters.

I have the exact same GPAs as you (had 2 Fs, 2 Cs) and got 6 interviews this cycle with a 25AA/25TS.
Sure but OP is a 4th year student and about to graduate. They are currently preparing for it, and even if they take the DAT in the Summer and ace it, they'll still have a whole year to improve their app. Even with a 3.3 and 25AA it's still not a guarantee to get into dental school. I know several students and a close friend who thought a 24+ even with a 3.1-3.3 was a shoe in and didn't get in first cycle. It'd be pretty poor advice to not do anything to improve their app given a whole year of nothing. Also, getting 25 is easier said than done, and chances are, they'll score less, in which case, having signed up for extra classes or even a masters would be a good route.

Sure but OP is a 4th year student and about to graduate. They are currently preparing for it, and even if they take the DAT in the Summer and ace it, they'll still have a whole year to improve their app. Even with a 3.3 and 25AA it's still not a guarantee to get into dental school. I know several students and a close friend who thought a 24+ even with a 3.1-3.3 was a shoe in and didn't get in first cycle. It'd be pretty poor advice to not do anything to improve their app given a whole year of nothing. Also, getting 25 is easier said than done, and chances are, they'll score less, in which case, having signed up for extra classes or even a masters would be a good route.

Yeah you're totally right, taking more classes can only help (provided you ace them). Applying to master's/post-bacc/informal post-bacc would be smart, just to keep that option open.

However, I was in the exact same spot (3.3/3.0 GPA after final semester), took my DAT after graduation and then decided to just work full time during my gap year instead of putting more money towards education and taking out semi-unnecessary loans. This is totally anecdotal--and is definitely riskier than taking more classes--but financially it makes sense in certain situations.

If cost is no issue, OP should sign up for a masters.

Last edited:
I agree. I know someone that got a 26 AA and didn’t get in (This isn’t exaggerated).

Status
Not open for further replies.