This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creativeusername2191

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can remove schools such as Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Wake Forest since they will yield protect. Remove Toronto. UC Irvine accepts very few non residents with no connection to the state. The 500 hours with hospitalized children is clinical volunteering. Do not worry about research publications.

Reactions: 1 user
You can remove schools such as Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Wake Forest since they will yield protect. Remove Toronto. UC Irvine accepts very few non residents with no connection to the state. The 500 hours with hospitalized children is clinical volunteering. Do not worry about research publications.
Thank you! I will remove those ones, and good to know about volunteering + pubs

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted a while ago but have updated my school list and edited this post to reflect that. Would greatly appreciate school list feedback— do I have enough OOS friendly mid tiers??

GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 526
State: MA
White female
Undergrad: T40
Clinical experience: 1000 hours as a medical assistant in a primary care clinic, 100 hours volunteering at local hospital, 200 hrs as a physical therapy intern, 500 hours volunteering with hospitalized children (i also held a leadership position within this organization)
Research experience and productivity: 300 hrs in a translational neuroscience lab, 1000 hours in cancer research lab (1 second author poster, no pubs)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented: projected 20 hrs internal medicine and gyn/onc, 40 hrs virtual shadowing, 8 hours in ER
Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours with organization that empowers young girls + encourages healthy eating and exercise, 30 hours with mentoring organization for youth with disabilities
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 200 hrs as tutor for student athletes, 300 hrs as EMT instructor (I have my EMT license but have never worked on a truck), 1000 hrs as a student representative for my school's financial aid office (work study job), member of a sorority
Relevant honors or awards: summa cum laude, dean's list, recipient of multiple scholarships for unpaid internships and working abroad

School list:

Reaches (top/high tier):

-Harvard
-JHU
-NYU
-Case
-Cornell
-Duke
-Vandy
-UPenn
-Kaiser
-Mayo
-Stanford
-UCLA
-UCSD
-UCSF
-UMich
-UChicago
-UVA
-WashU
-Yale

Target (mid/low tier, state):
-UMass
-BU
-Albert Einstein
-Hofstra
-Stony Brook
-Rochester
-UVermont
-UMaryland
-Tufts (low yield but IS)
-SLU
-UMiami
-Brown (low yield, OOS)
Quoting this in the hopes of getting some updated school list feedback

You forgot Columbia and Sinai. Emory, NW, Vandy also maybe?

I think you are wasting time and money on the following.
-BU
-Hofstra
-Stony Brook
-Rochester
-UVermont
-UMaryland
-SLU

I would also take out UCSD (they take around 25 OOS) and replace Case with Northwestern.

I think you are wasting time and money on the following.
-BU
-Hofstra
-Stony Brook
-Rochester
-UVermont
-UMaryland
-SLU

I would also take out UCSD (they take around 25 OOS) and replace Case with Northwestern.

While I get what you're saying, you really never know in this process. There are plenty of 519+ students who attend those schools.

But overall I'd say yeah, SLU and Maryland are likely overkill.

Reactions: 1 users
While I get what you're saying, you really never know in this process. There are plenty of 519+ students who attend those schools.

But overall I'd say yeah, SLU and Maryland are likely overkill.
Do they also have 3.9+ GPA? I also looked at OP's ECs. I don't have much experience other than looking at my kid's results and few other kids I know this cycle. I thought yield protection is less for Medical schools but interestingly my kid's MD cycle is similar to UG cycle.

Posted a while ago but have updated my school list and edited this post to reflect that. Would greatly appreciate school list feedback— do I have enough OOS friendly mid tiers??

GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 526
State: MA
White female
Undergrad: T40
Clinical experience: 1000 hours as a medical assistant in a primary care clinic, 100 hours volunteering at local hospital, 200 hrs as a physical therapy intern, 500 hours volunteering with hospitalized children (i also held a leadership position within this organization)
Research experience and productivity: 300 hrs in a translational neuroscience lab, 1000 hours in cancer research lab (1 second author poster, no pubs)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented: projected 20 hrs internal medicine and gyn/onc, 40 hrs virtual shadowing, 8 hours in ER
Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours with organization that empowers young girls + encourages healthy eating and exercise, 30 hours with mentoring organization for youth with disabilities
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 200 hrs as tutor for student athletes, 300 hrs as EMT instructor (I have my EMT license but have never worked on a truck), 1000 hrs as a student representative for my school's financial aid office (work study job), member of a sorority
Relevant honors or awards: summa cum laude, dean's list, recipient of multiple scholarships for unpaid internships and working abroad

School list:

Reaches (top/high tier):

-Harvard
-JHU
-NYU
-Case
-Cornell
-Duke
-Vandy
-UPenn
-Kaiser
-Mayo
-Stanford
-UCLA
-UCSD
-UCSF
-UMich
-UChicago
-UVA
-WashU
-Yale

Target (mid/low tier, state):
-UMass
-BU
-Albert Einstein
-Hofstra
-Stony Brook
-Rochester
-UVermont
-UMaryland
-Tufts (low yield but IS)
-SLU
-UMiami
-Brown (low yield, OOS)
It's a decent list. Rock stars should aim high, after all.

Suggest adding U WI, ALL NYC Titans, Keck, Pitt, Baylor, USF/Morsani and Emori

Good school list. Add in OSU. They give pretty solid financial aid and will be more receptive to MA applicants (I am an MA resident who had success there).

Do they also have 3.9+ GPA? I also looked at OP's ECs. I don't have much experience other than looking at my kid's results and few other kids I know this cycle. I thought yield protection is less for Medical schools but interestingly my kid's MD cycle is similar to UG cycle.

I can't answer anything specific, I only have my own anecdotal experience to go off. But it's not rare to see people post here or on reddit with monster stats and a cycle that doesn't go as well as expected, because often it is hard to predict where one will get interviews. I'm a fan of the shotgun approach if one is aiming for the research heavy schools. Here is a recent post I saw:

This applicant was well rounded and by all means had a great cycle, but that UCSF acceptance could have easily been a WL, and then the 2 acceptances would be Case and USF Morsani. So as long as one isn't hindered financially, I always err on the side of safety.

I can't answer anything specific, I only have my own anecdotal experience to go off. But it's not rare to see people post here or on reddit with monster stats and a cycle that doesn't go as well as expected, because often it is hard to predict where one will get interviews. I'm a fan of the shotgun approach if one is aiming for the research heavy schools. Here is a recent post I saw:

This applicant was well rounded and by all means had a great cycle, but that UCSF acceptance could have easily been a WL, and then the 2 acceptances would be Case and USF Morsani. So as long as one isn't hindered financially, I always err on the side of safety.

Surprised they chose to apply 40 schools. I am starting believe high stats scare middle and lower tier schools.

Surprised they chose to apply 40 schools. I am starting believe high stats scare middle and lower tier schools.
I think it's a combination of resource protection and being a CA non-URM. She was also complete very early on according to her SDN posts but even acknowledged that her app was not great, outside of her stats.

I feel like when you're batting at T20s, you can't afford to apply to just T20s. Obviously, there are people who do get away with it, like your kid who applied to only 23 schools and got almost half their IIs, but I think it's very difficult to pull that off unless you've been planning apps for 4+ years, which he was.

I personally just played it safe by applying to basically all the T20s and then some 'safety' schools (I don't think safeties really exist).

Thank you all for the suggestions! I don't have the second semester of orgo which limits my list somewhat, but I can add NW, USF for sure, and check with the other suggested schools about substituting orgo ii with biochemistry (i've found most schools are ok with this)