Jul 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Please don't quote :)

Applying in 2021 to (hopefully) matriculate in 2022—I would greatly appreciate honest feedback on my ECs/where I could improve my app!

3.96 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA
MCAT: 526 (132/130/132/132)
MA resident, ties to CA and CO
White
T40 undergrad
Clinical experience: 900 hours as a medical assistant in a primary care clinic, 100 hours volunteering at local hospital, 200 hrs as a physical therapy intern in a Parkinsons clinic in Spain.
Research experience and productivity: 300 hrs in cancer immunotherapy lab, 300 hrs in a translational neuroscience lab, projected 2000 hours in lab researching ovarian cancer by the time I apply (no pubs yet, really hoping to get one during my gap year). Will it hurt my app if I don't have any pubs by the time I apply?
Shadowing experience and specialties represented: projected 20 hrs in family medicine, 8 hours in ER (is this enough?)
Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours with organization that empowers young girls + encourages healthy eating and exercise, 500 hours volunteering with hospitalized children, creating craft kits for them to play with, and cooking meals for their families (so I guess this would be clinical and non-clinical? it has aspects of both. i also held a leadership position within this organization)
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 200 hrs as tutor for student athletes, 300 hrs as EMT instructor (I have my EMT license but have never worked on a truck), 1600 hrs as a student representative for my school's financial aid office (work study job), member of a sorority
Relevant honors or awards: summa cum laude, dean's list, recipient of multiple scholarships for unpaid internships and working abroad

**I never took the second semester of orgo, so that has narrowed my school list a bit (only includes schools that don't require two semesters of orgo)

My list so far (would love suggestions—due to financial reasons I can't apply to much more than 30 so I'm looking to take a few schools off this list):

-UMass
-BU
-Tufts
-Harvard
-Brown
-NYU Grossman
-Cornell
-Yale
-UPenn
-Georgetown
-George Washington
-U Maryland
-Duke
-Vanderbilt
-UMiami
-UNC Chapel Hill
-UCSD
-UCLA
-UCSF
-USC
-UC Irvine
-Stanford
-UMichigan
-U Chicago
-Rosalind Franklin
-Wake Forest
-U Toronto
-Emory
-John Hopkins
-Kaiser Permanente
-Tulane
-WashU St. Louis

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You can remove schools such as Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Wake Forest since they will yield protect. Remove Toronto. UC Irvine accepts very few non residents with no connection to the state. The 500 hours with hospitalized children is clinical volunteering. Do not worry about research publications.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You can remove schools such as Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Wake Forest since they will yield protect. Remove Toronto. UC Irvine accepts very few non residents with no connection to the state. The 500 hours with hospitalized children is clinical volunteering. Do not worry about research publications.
Thank you! I will remove those ones, and good to know about volunteering + pubs

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads