-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
38 & Over JUST starting MD/DMD
Started by sumozmom
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
sumozmom said:Hello....38 started prerec inJan towards a DMD. Applying in 1 yr.
BS Accounting.....currently working as a Network enginneer.
AM I CRAZY?
Whats your story...PLEASE share...>😉
Started med school at 36. Two previous careers, most recent as software engineer. Nope, not crazy. I'm glad I did it.
May want to also check out this thread...http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=278319
Wook
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sumozmom said:Hello....38 started prerec inJan towards a DMD. Applying in 1 yr.
BS Accounting.....currently working as a Network enginneer.
AM I CRAZY?
Whats your story...PLEASE share...>😉
36 yr old... SSG in US Army... zero college before leaving the army... just graduated w/ by B.S. in Biology. I went from the infantry to pre-med. I must be crazy! 😱
wow ,so now how many classes do you have to take before u applypmtdenna said:36 yr old... SSG in US Army... zero college before leaving the army... just graduated w/ by B.S. in Biology. I went from the infantry to pre-med. I must be crazy! 😱
sumozmom said:wow ,so now how many classes do you have to take before u apply
I have already applied. Looking at going to a carrib school since I didn't get in this round. 3.2 GPA 28 MCAT... since you were bound to ask that question. Don't stress though, I applied really late (long story).
sumozmom said:wow 99 people looked but only 1 shared....
comon -ya'll please share ur story....they are all so inspiering 🙂
I'm a younger, curious reader...nothing much to share this side of town.
Accountants Rule! Seriously, I'm a CPA and had worked in healthcare and hospitals for 20 years... had also completed most of a second masters degree in computer science. I had been strongly encouraged to go to medical school when I worked for an academic medical clinic for a while ten years ago - I wanted to but I decided that medicine was impractical at the old age of 35. When my father died when I was 41, I realized that I had buried my dream of medicine and that, if I were ever going to do anything different with my life, the time was getting short. I start medical school in August and I'll turn 45 a few weeks later.
To be honest with you, doing medical school prerequisites at night while working full-time was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. Also, there is some age discrimination when you get into our "older" non-trad status. You have to want this very badly and be willing to make considerable sacrifices to get it. But, it CAN BE DONE. A lot of support is here in the non-trad forum. The best is yet to be! Good luck.
The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Class of 2010
To be honest with you, doing medical school prerequisites at night while working full-time was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. Also, there is some age discrimination when you get into our "older" non-trad status. You have to want this very badly and be willing to make considerable sacrifices to get it. But, it CAN BE DONE. A lot of support is here in the non-trad forum. The best is yet to be! Good luck.
The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Class of 2010
Professional musician since undergrad. If I get in, the kids in class will look at me as their 'token over-35 year old' in the class...! Still trying to get past the MCAT, but if I do, I'll give you the full-out inspiring story! 😀
Non-TradTulsa said:To be honest with you, doing medical school prerequisites at night while working full-time was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. Also, there is some age discrimination when you get into our "older" non-trad status.
Agreed - 100%!
ur awesome...what kinda medicin do u want to do?Non-TradTulsa said:Accountants Rule! Seriously, I'm a CPA and had worked in healthcare and hospitals for 20 years... had also completed most of a second masters degree in computer science. I had been strongly encouraged to go to medical school when I worked for an academic medical clinic for a while ten years ago - I wanted to but I decided that medicine was impractical at the old age of 35. When my father died when I was 41, I realized that I had buried my dream of medicine and that, if I were ever going to do anything different with my life, the time was getting short. I start medical school in August and I'll turn 45 a few weeks later.
To be honest with you, doing medical school prerequisites at night while working full-time was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. Also, there is some age discrimination when you get into our "older" non-trad status. You have to want this very badly and be willing to make considerable sacrifices to get it. But, it CAN BE DONE. A lot of support is here in the non-trad forum. The best is yet to be! Good luck.
The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Class of 2010
so how do you study , do pre-recs and work at the same time?Orthodoc40 said:Agreed - 100%!
I'll be 30 in August and am an attorney. In my med school class, we have 2 40 year olds (one financial consultant and one political lobbyist in their previous lives), a 37 year old (PhD in immunology), 33 (former engineer) and a whole host of students in their late 20s with various careers from CPAs, nurses, paramedics
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sumozmom said:so how do you study , do pre-recs and work at the same time?
and rehearse and practice enough to keep in good shape for the orchestra, and volunteer and teach? Actually, I don't know how I did it! Except that I know that the more I do, the more I can do. Have you ever noticed that? Seems to me that busy people can always take on more to do, but the people who aren't very active have a hard time adding just one thing to their schedule? Or maybe it's just me. Anyway, it just seems to work out okay somehow...
I had a yong family and was a paramedic for over 10 years when I had an on-the-job career-ending injury. So here I was, 35 and going to undergrad with people who weren't even born when I graduated high school. I did have two years worth of really awful grades to overcome from 20 years before (yes, I was accepted to college at the tender age of 16 when I was too young and stupid to know anything), so I started over. Took 21 credits a semester and 9-12 in the summers, finished a dual major in 3 years. Applied late the first time, didn't get in. Applied the second time to DO and MD programs and have an acceptance to a DO school I love and am on the waitlist at an MD school I love as well. I start as an MSI in August at the age of 39 (I say it's the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday - I certainly don't feel that old).
It's completely doable. Good luck.
It's completely doable. Good luck.
so what final grade got you into school?
and what was your MCAT?
whats the diffeance in the DO program vs md program?
thnx
and what was your MCAT?
whats the diffeance in the DO program vs md program?
thnx
ShyRem said:I had a yong family and was a paramedic for over 10 years when I had an on-the-job career-ending injury. So here I was, 35 and going to undergrad with people who weren't even born when I graduated high school. I did have two years worth of really awful grades to overcome from 20 years before (yes, I was accepted to college at the tender age of 16 when I was too young and stupid to know anything), so I started over. Took 21 credits a semester and 9-12 in the summers, finished a dual major in 3 years. Applied late the first time, didn't get in. Applied the second time to DO and MD programs and have an acceptance to a DO school I love and am on the waitlist at an MD school I love as well. I start as an MSI in August at the age of 39 (I say it's the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday - I certainly don't feel that old).
It's completely doable. Good luck.
I graduated with a 3.53 GPA. Overall, however, my amcas gpa was a paltry 3.1 or 3.2. Truly rather pathetic. Interestingly, my aacomas was a 2.9 (my old transcript didn't have credit hours for the failing grades - amcas allowed the field to be 0 credits for those classes, aacomas forced me to put 4 credits for the same classes, even though that did *not* match my official transcripts).
My MCAT was nothing stellar - a 29. I did have some extenuating circumstances, which I absolutely did NOT write about nor offer any excuses (I was getting over mono, and I found out a few days before the exam that my son was being chased, shot repeatedly with a bb gun, and basically terrorized by a neighborhood teenaged bully. We had him charged with felonies, including intimidating a witness. He told my son he would "hunt him down and kill him" if he told anyone what was happening. Needless to say, I was PISSED and a bit... distracted. My son was absolutely terrified.)
There is a whole discussion on difference of DO vs. MD in the pre-osteo forum. I have found DO schools to be more forgiving of past transgressions. But that's my experience. Other non-trads have had stellar luck with MD schools looking past their old mistakes.
My MCAT was nothing stellar - a 29. I did have some extenuating circumstances, which I absolutely did NOT write about nor offer any excuses (I was getting over mono, and I found out a few days before the exam that my son was being chased, shot repeatedly with a bb gun, and basically terrorized by a neighborhood teenaged bully. We had him charged with felonies, including intimidating a witness. He told my son he would "hunt him down and kill him" if he told anyone what was happening. Needless to say, I was PISSED and a bit... distracted. My son was absolutely terrified.)
There is a whole discussion on difference of DO vs. MD in the pre-osteo forum. I have found DO schools to be more forgiving of past transgressions. But that's my experience. Other non-trads have had stellar luck with MD schools looking past their old mistakes.
sumozmom said:I LOVE THE NON-TRAD's
Yay! go the non-trad's!
you guys are so great. such a good examplel! 🙂 i want to be in my 30's too. 😳
No, you're not crazy! I'll be 27 in a few days, and still fighting my way through the admissions process. (I know, I'm not over 38, but I just love seeing people go for this goal when it's what they really want... and I just wanted to say good luck!)
Aside from my day-job at an orthopedic clinic, I spend my nights and weekends volunteering at the ER at the local university hospital. So, I've met a LOT of residents. I've met plenty of people who didn't start this journey until after they were 40. One guy was almost 50.
If it's what you really want in life, go out and grab it! Don't let anyone put down your dreams. I know I'm young, but I speak from experience. I almost let someone's negative talk and put-downs discourage me. But that person is no longer in my life, and I haven't looked back. I'm pursuing what I feel like I'm meant to do. Go for it!
Aside from my day-job at an orthopedic clinic, I spend my nights and weekends volunteering at the ER at the local university hospital. So, I've met a LOT of residents. I've met plenty of people who didn't start this journey until after they were 40. One guy was almost 50.
If it's what you really want in life, go out and grab it! Don't let anyone put down your dreams. I know I'm young, but I speak from experience. I almost let someone's negative talk and put-downs discourage me. But that person is no longer in my life, and I haven't looked back. I'm pursuing what I feel like I'm meant to do. Go for it!

If you're crazy, then I am too. So we'll raise a glass together in a few years and wonder how they let a couple old buzzards like us into med school.
I'm 35 (in 9 days!), taking my postbacc at night at Northwestern and volunteering/doing research during the day. I hope we both get to fulfill our dreams. Ultimately, we have to follow them.
Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace.
I'm 35 (in 9 days!), taking my postbacc at night at Northwestern and volunteering/doing research during the day. I hope we both get to fulfill our dreams. Ultimately, we have to follow them.
Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace.
I will matriculate at 34 if all goes as planned, but my uncle started med-school at 39 and went on to be a very sucessful neurologist with a huge multi-specialty clinic and imaging center.
what kinda doc did u become?
and why?
and why?
ekydrd said:Stated med school at 37... graduated at 41... will finish residency at 45. I am very glad I did it!
sumozmom said:what kinda doc did u become?
and why?
Med-peds all the way baby!!! I have a very strong interest in rural medicine and emergency medicine. And I like hospitalist work. My dream job would be one where I could work a few shifts a week in the ER, act as a hospitalist at times, and if need be do clinic. I like small community hospital type settings, because they usually have small patient populations, and high aqcuity pts get transferred to tertiary care centers. Plus you get to know all your patients very well. Kinda like one big happy dysfunctional family.
sumozmom said:Hello....38 started prerec inJan towards a DMD. Applying in 1 yr.
BS Accounting.....currently working as a Network enginneer.
AM I CRAZY?
Whats your story...PLEASE share...>😉
You're only as CRAZY as I am.
I'll be 37 in July & I'll be a first year OD (optometry) student starting on August 17th. I'm married & we have 2 kids ages 3 and 5.
I currently am "winding down" a career in IT. My motivation started 3 years ago when my job writing custom software was sent to a team in India. Nothing like the threat of having your career "dry-up" before retirement to motivate you to "dig in" and do something else.
Ultimately, it will be good for me to escape the "cubicle hell" I'm in now, and use my skills to help other people in a meaningful way. That, and I'm tired of being stuck in an endless "Dilbert" cartoon strip.
It is comforting to know that I'm not the only person in their mid 30's who has decided to pursue such an ambitious goal!
Best wishes to all us non-trads!
I was a B2B sales dude for 9 years. I'm starting this August, and will turn 32 in Sept.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when did u take ur pre-recs?rkl_OD2be said:You're only as CRAZY as I am.
I'll be 37 in July & I'll be a first year OD (optometry) student starting on August 17th. I'm married & we have 2 kids ages 3 and 5.
I currently am "winding down" a career in IT. My motivation started 3 years ago when my job writing custom software was sent to a team in India. Nothing like the threat of having your career "dry-up" before retirement to motivate you to "dig in" and do something else.
Ultimately, it will be good for me to escape the "cubicle hell" I'm in now, and use my skills to help other people in a meaningful way. That, and I'm tired of being stuck in an endless "Dilbert" cartoon strip.
It is comforting to know that I'm not the only person in their mid 30's who has decided to pursue such an ambitious goal!
Best wishes to all us non-trads!
how long did it take?
how did u do?
i;m working and taking my pre-recs and hate that work is taking time away from my studies....BUT i HAVE to work 🙁
how did u doit?
whats ur story?seacatch said:Just successfully completed my first year of med school and I'm 43. Also a single mom of a 7yr old. I'm definitely crazy... but wouldn't have it any other way.
how long did it take for u to get in?
did u have to take pre-recs?
whos watching ur 7 yr old?
GREAT NEW
N
njbmd
seacatch said:Just successfully completed my first year of med school and I'm 43. Also a single mom of a 7yr old. I'm definitely crazy... but wouldn't have it any other way.
Hey there,
I would not say you were crazy at all. Women are just hitting their strides at age 45 so you are still heading towards your peak! I can definitely say that after four years of General Surgery residency, my energy level is higher and higher. I suspect that you will find the same as you move toward your goal.
njbmd 🙂
njbmd said:Hey there,
I would not say you were crazy at all. Women are just hitting their strides at age 45 so you are still heading towards your peak! I can definitely say that after four years of General Surgery residency, my energy level is higher and higher. I suspect that you will find the same as you move toward your goal.
njbmd 🙂
Thanks Natalie. So far, I love medical school and all of the early clinicals we do in my program. I am in a new problem based learning track at NYCOM. My energy level seems about the same as everyone else. We all get exhausted at exam time and I probably handle it better than many. I've made great friends and love it.
As for the other questions - I spent 2.5 years doing postbac work and applying. I got into my D.O. school on the first try. My daughter goes to school and then gets cared for until 6pm. Occasionally friends help me out in the morning if I have an early exam. Magically, everything has worked very well this year and I expect the same schedule next year. MSIII and MSIV years will be more difficult and I plan to get an au pair for my daughter. It's not easy, it's not cheap. Going to medical and raising a child is like doing two very hard and very worthwhile things simultaneously. I suppose I like a good challenge - one day at a time.
seacatch said:Just successfully completed my first year of med school and I'm 43. Also a single mom of a 7yr old. I'm definitely crazy... but wouldn't have it any other way.
👍 I like that attitude.

Prior to starting my career in IT, I had completed my Bachelor of Science in mathematics, with a minor in computer science. I had taken (calculus based) physics I & II, but had taken very little Chemistry and no Biology. The optometry pre-reqs aren't much different from MD: 2 semesters math (calculus & statisitics) 1 yr biology w/ labs, 1 yr Chemistry with labs, Organic I w/lab, Biochemistry, Physics I & II, two semesters of english comp, 2 semesters of humanities, 2 semesters psych, etc. Most schools require the sciences to be within the last 5 years. In the case of my physics, the schools accepted re-taking Physics 2 as a "refresher" for both semesters...sumozmom said:when did u take ur pre-recs?
Before I began taking classes, I contacted the schools I had intended on applying to, told them my story, provided transcripts, and asked for help in coming up with a list of classes, and a "plan of action", which in my case included taking the OAT (Optometry's 'MCAT'), and getting some experience shadowing some OD's.
I've been at it for 3 years now. Mostly, I've taken one class each semster. Last semester was the exception when I took 2 classes.sumozmom said:how long did it take?
Summer 2003: Biology w/ Lab (5 hours, A)sumozmom said:how did u do?
Fall 2003: Chem I w/Lab (5 hours, A)
Spring 2004: Chem II w/ Lab (5 hours, A)
Summer 2004: Microbiology (3 hours, B) w/Lab (2 hours, A)
Fall 2004: Organic I (5 hours, A)
Fall 2004: Took the OAT (340 AA, 330 TS)
Spring 2005: Biochemistry (4 hours, B **hardest class I've ever had**)
Fall 2005: Anatomy & Physiology (5 hours, A)
Spring 2006: Physics II (5 hours, A **refresher course required by SCO**)
Spring 2006: Human Development (3 hours, A)
I've been there, done that. I did all the above while working full-time at Sprint.sumozmom said:i;m working and taking my pre-recs and hate that work is taking time away from my studies....BUT i HAVE to work 🙁
sumozmom said:how did u doit?
- Supportive wife and family. There is no way I could have done this but for the support of my wife, kids and extended family.
- Discipline. It wasn't always easy to sacrifice time with family/friends to study.
- Sleepless nights. Many, many nights studying until 1 or 2 after the family was asleep, only to get up at 5 and repeat again.
- Failure is NOT an option (a good mantra helps)...
One other thing I've found that is helpful is reading about others who have done what I'm attempting to do. It is comforting (to me, at least) to know that it is not impossible, and others have done it before me...
sumozmom,
This has definitely been a roller coaster for me as well....started out after I got my MBA..figuring out what to do, then questioning where I want to be...and thus went down the rabbit hole....ended up "thinking" about going back to school to get into med school..that was almost 3 yrs ago and now studying for the MCAT in August...re-took the pre-reqs at a comm college..with a FT job and 2 kids and a wife that has had 2 major surgeries in this time....didn't have the $$ for a formal program...so we try to apply for 2007 and see where it gets me...but as rkl_OD2be said...it is really comforting knowing there are many like me who have done this successfully...all this at 34...whoo hoo...at least my wife thinks I'm HOT in scrubs...what motivation!
Have any of you with families felt guilty about the hell that you have/will put your families thru?
This has definitely been a roller coaster for me as well....started out after I got my MBA..figuring out what to do, then questioning where I want to be...and thus went down the rabbit hole....ended up "thinking" about going back to school to get into med school..that was almost 3 yrs ago and now studying for the MCAT in August...re-took the pre-reqs at a comm college..with a FT job and 2 kids and a wife that has had 2 major surgeries in this time....didn't have the $$ for a formal program...so we try to apply for 2007 and see where it gets me...but as rkl_OD2be said...it is really comforting knowing there are many like me who have done this successfully...all this at 34...whoo hoo...at least my wife thinks I'm HOT in scrubs...what motivation!
Have any of you with families felt guilty about the hell that you have/will put your families thru?
Ok,I am new to this site and am already inspired. Thanks for the great stories.
I have been an OB nurse for 15 years, am married and have four kids. Two years ago I went back to school to complete a BS degree (I am currently an ADN, RN). I now have two years left to complete my degree and med school prereqs. By the time I matriculate (if all occurs on MY schedule....ha ha ha... we all know how crazy things can get when we count on our own schedules), I will be 39. I have to admit that taking classes, working and trying to maintain a relationship with my husband and children is challenging, but I have wanted this my entire life and know this is where I should be. Sometimes, it's just listening to another's story that keeps me focused. So, thanks again!!!!!!!
I have been an OB nurse for 15 years, am married and have four kids. Two years ago I went back to school to complete a BS degree (I am currently an ADN, RN). I now have two years left to complete my degree and med school prereqs. By the time I matriculate (if all occurs on MY schedule....ha ha ha... we all know how crazy things can get when we count on our own schedules), I will be 39. I have to admit that taking classes, working and trying to maintain a relationship with my husband and children is challenging, but I have wanted this my entire life and know this is where I should be. Sometimes, it's just listening to another's story that keeps me focused. So, thanks again!!!!!!!
sumozmom said:Hello....38 started prerec inJan towards a DMD. Applying in 1 yr.
BS Accounting.....currently working as a Network enginneer.
AM I CRAZY?
Whats your story...PLEASE share...>😉
Because I am! My advisor and friend decided to become a doc at 36, but not just any doc - an electrophysiologist. He is now in his third year of practice after 4 yrs med school, 3 years residency, and 2 x 2 years fellowships - at 51.
I am applying to med school this year and I am 40.
Apparently, many people are choosing this career field later in life.
🙂
vtucci said:I'll be 30 in August and am an attorney. In my med school class, we have 2 40 year olds (one financial consultant and one political lobbyist in their previous lives), a 37 year old (PhD in immunology), 33 (former engineer) and a whole host of students in their late 20s with various careers from CPAs, nurses, paramedics
Hi,
I saw your post. I am a recent law school graduate who will start studying for the MCATS soon. Where do you go to Med School and do you have any advice for me?
Sporky said:Because I am! My advisor and friend decided to become a doc at 36, but not just any doc - an electrophysiologist. He is now in his third year of practice after 4 yrs med school, 3 years residency, and 2 x 2 years fellowships - at 51.🙂
This is a great story. What are his general feelings about the process (going through it as a non-trad) and the overall outcome (practicing, etc.)? It would be awesome to have someone like this as an advisor/friend.
I am 40 and starting at PCOM this year. I had a lot of bad grades to get over, I was depressed until I was 30, but once I realized I had to pursue my dream, I just- *persisted*
Funny thing is, I met the love of my life a year ago and now we are engaged. Isn't it weird how life works?
I would love to hear from others in similar positions because my class seems to be heavy on the 23-year-olds...
Funny thing is, I met the love of my life a year ago and now we are engaged. Isn't it weird how life works?
I would love to hear from others in similar positions because my class seems to be heavy on the 23-year-olds...
Hello everyone,
This is my very first posting on the forums. Yeah to me!!! Anyway, I was an accountant (my last position as a VP for a very large financial services firm and I have a MBA) for 14 yrs when I entered medschool and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! I would not trade my life with anyone else. I began med school last year at the age of 35 (and an aside I look a lot younger than some of my 24/25 year old classmates!!).
Again I am so happy and feel very satisfied....I absolutely do not regret my decision to change careers. I think being an older "non-traditional" student gives you a very different prespective then some of the younger comrades. Med school is difficult (well at least the first year, so far), but you will make it and I have made really nice contacts and acquaintances during this year. 😍
Randi
This is my very first posting on the forums. Yeah to me!!! Anyway, I was an accountant (my last position as a VP for a very large financial services firm and I have a MBA) for 14 yrs when I entered medschool and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! I would not trade my life with anyone else. I began med school last year at the age of 35 (and an aside I look a lot younger than some of my 24/25 year old classmates!!).
Again I am so happy and feel very satisfied....I absolutely do not regret my decision to change careers. I think being an older "non-traditional" student gives you a very different prespective then some of the younger comrades. Med school is difficult (well at least the first year, so far), but you will make it and I have made really nice contacts and acquaintances during this year. 😍
Randi
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
great storyemidesu said:I am 40 and starting at PCOM this year. I had a lot of bad grades to get over, I was depressed until I was 30, but once I realized I had to pursue my dream, I just- *persisted*
Funny thing is, I met the love of my life a year ago and now we are engaged. Isn't it weird how life works?
I would love to hear from others in similar positions because my class seems to be heavy on the 23-year-olds...
sumozmom,
Hey.....I'm 31 right now - married + a little toddler. Thank God -I will graduate in a month. I won't apply until I'm 33 or 34.
I spent 7 years as enlisted in the Navy.
We are kinda in the same delima. I'm not sure if I should aspire for DDS/DMD or DO/MD.
My grades are not stellar either @ 3.2
I did have some health care experience.
God Bless!
Hey.....I'm 31 right now - married + a little toddler. Thank God -I will graduate in a month. I won't apply until I'm 33 or 34.
I spent 7 years as enlisted in the Navy.
We are kinda in the same delima. I'm not sure if I should aspire for DDS/DMD or DO/MD.
My grades are not stellar either @ 3.2
I did have some health care experience.
God Bless!
Hi:
I am 38 with a wife of 17 years and 2 boys, 10 and 11.
I am living proof that the path to personal and professional happiness does not have to be a straight shot.
BS Psych 1990
Forms Sales
Pharmaceutical Sales
Medical Device Sales
hard turn to the right
At this point I know I really want to be a doctor, but I deny myself the freedom to pursue it and distract myself with something new and different.
My own landscape and pool design and construction company ($1.5M sales)
another hard turn to the right
Conquered that, now bored and ready for some other distraction...still telling myself it is impossible / impractical for me to go to medical school.
Police Officer
another hard turn to the right
Although I was having a blast as a cop...I finally say enough is enough and decide to pursue medicine...much to the chagrin of my wife. I quit my job and go back to school full-time for the pre-reqs, and while doing that I supplement our income as a...
Substitute HS Science Teacher
slight bend to the left
I decided that I ought to prove to myself and adcoms that I can handle the rigorous academic work of med school by earning a Masters in Chemistry at Arizona State University (did I mention my BS was in Psych? Ha!). While doing that...
Organic Chemistry TA
Protein lab RA I could also say I worked as a writer too..after all 187 pages of my thesis...what a BEAST! Ouch!
After successfully defending my thesis and graduating, for the past 8 weeks this summer, I have taught General Organic Chemistry I at our local community college as an...
Adjunct College Faculty
I am starting medical school in 4 weeks. It is so awesome to be finally heading in the direction I want to be heading...
Medical School Student and Future Physician
This whole story reminds me of a quote.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hmm...words to live by, huh?
😀
I am 38 with a wife of 17 years and 2 boys, 10 and 11.
I am living proof that the path to personal and professional happiness does not have to be a straight shot.
BS Psych 1990
Forms Sales
Pharmaceutical Sales
Medical Device Sales
hard turn to the right
At this point I know I really want to be a doctor, but I deny myself the freedom to pursue it and distract myself with something new and different.
My own landscape and pool design and construction company ($1.5M sales)
another hard turn to the right
Conquered that, now bored and ready for some other distraction...still telling myself it is impossible / impractical for me to go to medical school.
Police Officer
another hard turn to the right
Although I was having a blast as a cop...I finally say enough is enough and decide to pursue medicine...much to the chagrin of my wife. I quit my job and go back to school full-time for the pre-reqs, and while doing that I supplement our income as a...
Substitute HS Science Teacher
slight bend to the left
I decided that I ought to prove to myself and adcoms that I can handle the rigorous academic work of med school by earning a Masters in Chemistry at Arizona State University (did I mention my BS was in Psych? Ha!). While doing that...
Organic Chemistry TA
Protein lab RA I could also say I worked as a writer too..after all 187 pages of my thesis...what a BEAST! Ouch!
After successfully defending my thesis and graduating, for the past 8 weeks this summer, I have taught General Organic Chemistry I at our local community college as an...
Adjunct College Faculty
I am starting medical school in 4 weeks. It is so awesome to be finally heading in the direction I want to be heading...
Medical School Student and Future Physician
This whole story reminds me of a quote.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hmm...words to live by, huh?
😀
great stories. this is my first post! it's so great to see so many people in the same boat.
i'm just turned 34 on 7/17. i'm married with four daughters. took a different route just like all of us non-trads. here's my story...
when i met my wife she had a two-year-old daughter with cerebral palsy whom i've since adopted. having gone through all of her surgeries and procedures has been my biggest influence to study medicine.
i worked in management and doing pretty well for not having a degree. my older brother had decided to go into med school. we all thought he was crazy. after all, he too was a non-trad! after seeing him succeed was inspiration to quit my job and try for med school. at which point i had three daughters 😱 .
while getting my prereqs my oldest daughter had gotten sick (to this day it was an unknown illness). with that scare, my wife and i decided to skip medical school. so i went to the next best thing (in my opinion)--nursing.
while in nursing school came baby #4!!! i got my bsn in july of 05. after i started working i knew i wanted to be a doc. not that i had a bad experience in nursing. i work in the surgical/trauma ICU at a level 1 trauma hospital. seeing the residents learn and interacting with the faculty had inspired me to increase my knowledge and responsibilites.
so i started back to getting prereqs for med school in january. taking calculus after not having any math in 4-eeevvvveeeerrrrr was a pain in the booty so i didn't have time to study for the april mcat.
now i'm in freak-out mode because i have the august mcat. i still have o-chem and second part of physics that i still need to take over fall and spring. my app has been verified but i know the schools won't even look at it until the mcat scores which decreases my chances. ugh!! 😡
but reading everyone's stories and being able to vent here is great 🙂 good luck to everyone.
i'm just turned 34 on 7/17. i'm married with four daughters. took a different route just like all of us non-trads. here's my story...
when i met my wife she had a two-year-old daughter with cerebral palsy whom i've since adopted. having gone through all of her surgeries and procedures has been my biggest influence to study medicine.
i worked in management and doing pretty well for not having a degree. my older brother had decided to go into med school. we all thought he was crazy. after all, he too was a non-trad! after seeing him succeed was inspiration to quit my job and try for med school. at which point i had three daughters 😱 .
while getting my prereqs my oldest daughter had gotten sick (to this day it was an unknown illness). with that scare, my wife and i decided to skip medical school. so i went to the next best thing (in my opinion)--nursing.
while in nursing school came baby #4!!! i got my bsn in july of 05. after i started working i knew i wanted to be a doc. not that i had a bad experience in nursing. i work in the surgical/trauma ICU at a level 1 trauma hospital. seeing the residents learn and interacting with the faculty had inspired me to increase my knowledge and responsibilites.
so i started back to getting prereqs for med school in january. taking calculus after not having any math in 4-eeevvvveeeerrrrr was a pain in the booty so i didn't have time to study for the april mcat.
now i'm in freak-out mode because i have the august mcat. i still have o-chem and second part of physics that i still need to take over fall and spring. my app has been verified but i know the schools won't even look at it until the mcat scores which decreases my chances. ugh!! 😡
but reading everyone's stories and being able to vent here is great 🙂 good luck to everyone.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 3K