3rd LOR.... 2nd Pharmacist OK?

Started by rocky987
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rocky987

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if the 3rd LOR can be from another pharmacist. I already have 1 sci prof, and 1 pharmacist, but for the 3rd does anyone know of it is ok to get another from a pharmacist?? thanks!!
 
I was wondering if the 3rd LOR can be from another pharmacist. I already have 1 sci prof, and 1 pharmacist, but for the 3rd does anyone know of it is ok to get another from a pharmacist?? thanks!!

I would check with the schools you're applying to.
 
I was wondering if the 3rd LOR can be from another pharmacist. I already have 1 sci prof, and 1 pharmacist, but for the 3rd does anyone know of it is ok to get another from a pharmacist?? thanks!!

That is what I'm doing. I'm considering trying for a 4th (second prof). 2 of the schools I'm applying to, for example, require 3 total, but that atleast 1 be an RPh and 1 be a prof
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had two senior pharmacists I worked under with at least 40 years of experience apiece, my research prof and another non-sci prof

Oh cool, that's kind of what I'm doing also. I have a my research prof and 2 pharmacists that I work with.

Thanks for the responses, I wasn't sure if you could do that since there's no "2nd pharmacist" category under the types of LOR listed like they have "2nd sci professor."
 
I don't think it won't be allowed, but I don't think two pharmacists will really help you at all, except to confirm what the first one said about you. LORs are a nice chance to see another perspective of you from a third-party - I'd want to give as wide a view as possible. So it's nice to have a research professor to talk about your capabilities as a researcher, your professor to talk about your skills as a student, your pharmacist to talk about your potential as a pharmacist. Unless you worked at 2 different pharmacies or performed different tasks under each pharmacist, each pharmacist will say the same about you. It's like, having two different essays, but copying and pasting your first essay for your second essay - it doesn't tell the admissions committee anything new!

My professor strongly discouraged us to do that. I was in a bio-lab class where we have 3 professors teaching us - and the professor told us, it's great to ask one of us for a LOR. However, it's silly to ask two of us for a LOR. We will say approximately the same things about you - you're wasting a LOR.