A Decent Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CuriousDrifter

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My College journey has ..less then stellar....actually.. pretty disgraceful---so I know if I were to apply now I would either flat out be rejected or barely accepted into an extremely sub par program....I keep hearing how competitive PA school is so I feel like I have a long uphill battle to even shot at a decent program.

Brief break down...

Currently I have a B.Sc in Psychology (3.4GPA) and a minor in Sociology (via a mesh of community college courses/distant learning program-from a brick and mortar University). I haven't calculated my SciGPA but I'm sure it's about ~3.2-3.0. I have a 3 Ds....smattering of Cs on my transcript and 1 W.

-Active in volunteering during high school and a year or so post high school (hospital volunteer, tutor, campaign office helper, etc). Had a major lull in the volunteering department until recently...with the exception of a short stint volunteering at a horse rescue facility about 1.5 years ago.
-I have a CNA certificate
-Working as a tech at a medical clinic (Post/Pre-OP, Teching, Accreditation, Front desk, etc) for a little more than 2 years.
-Currently pursuing an EMT-B course.
-I have taken most of my pre-reqs along with other courses like Cell/Micro-biology, etc.


I wanted to do a few things to improve my chances--will it be enough?


From Sept-Dec of this year
-Finish my EMT-Basic program
-Continue working at my clinic-getting more into the area of accreditation and possibly writing a QI study.
-Volunteer for an abused women crisis hotline
-Will find another volunteer opportunity (any ideas?)
-Lots of pre-studying for the classes I will (ideally) take in January

I want to take VCU's heath science certificate program in January (For 3 semesters).
-It will allow me to tailor my schedule to the courses I need, and to take a nice mix of undergrad/grad courses to strengthen my GPA and show that I can excel in more rigorous subject matters.
-It will give me the opportunity to shadow and volunteer at their medical center (They require volunteer hours)
-I'll have a chance to pursue more research opportunities.
-Will take my GRE within that time


During that year I will also
-Join a local rescue squad
-(Hopefully) find part-time medical work
-Join a relevant club or two.


Next Oct-December will be applying broadly to PA programs.

Am I screwed or do I have a chance?

I'm 26 years old...