A question about deferment

Started by daru1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

daru1

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just called and they said that you can't apply for deferment until after your grace period is up (or just a couple of weeks before your first payment is due). Is this true? Obviously the grace period extends into when I start residency, but I don't want to get into a situation where I owe a bill while they process the paperwork. This is the government we're talking about here. I've already graduated, and have my taxes filed/return for this year if that helps...
 
OP, i don't have an answer to your question, but rather a similar question.

How does one go about deferring undergraduate stafford subsidized loans if going straight into medical school post-grad? Does this just automatically happen?
 
Sallie Mae won't let me consolidate my loans until they're out of the grace period and in repayment.. I don't know about deferment. It wouldn't seem to me like it would make any difference though, either way you don't have to make a payment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just called and they said that you can't apply for deferment until after your grace period is up (or just a couple of weeks before your first payment is due). Is this true? Obviously the grace period extends into when I start residency, but I don't want to get into a situation where I owe a bill while they process the paperwork. This is the government we're talking about here. I've already graduated, and have my taxes filed/return for this year if that helps...

It depends on the loan. For some loans, you can cancel your grace period, and defer as soon as you graduate. I am doing this for all of my loans (Perkins, Stafford, Grad PLUS.)

It shouldn't be a problem to wait either, since you have a month between the end of the grace period and the first payment due date. As soon as you get a bill, you can fax them an economic hardship deferment request.
 
The regulations are you complaining about are lender specific, not general rules. I work for a lender that will approve deferments 6 months before the loan enters repayment. Ask your lender when to submit your deferment form - it may just be how their processing system handles that paperwork.

Consolidation can only be done after you are out of an in-school status, that is federally mandated. You should be able to consolidate your loans while in a grace period - though it usually isn't recommended, because once it is consolidated the loan goes into repayment. Grace periods are usually honored first to give you the longest subsidized benefit.