A solid research training

Started by roinom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

roinom

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting med school in January, European school.

In short:
I want a solid research training. I've seen some portrait of researchers and many of them have said "I started on in a basic research lab, when I then moved on to the more applied medical research, I felt I had a strong background and it was easier due to my years in the basic research lab". The track look like: basic research -> clinical research (-> epidemiology).

My experience so far, we've kind of different in Europe, no pre-med or so, so I am only 20 years old and have one article under review right now in epidemiology. I don't know yet if epidemiology is the thing I would like to continue in, but it was a great experience.

Future goal is to match the MD/PhD-program (it starts the 3rd year of med school).

So I would just like to have some input if this basic research experience is essential to a succesful career in research? Did you go for this track, ie aiming for clinical research but starting out in a basic research lab?