a straight answer please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueflowers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting a straight answer here. I'm a 4th year now (today!) at a US allopathic school, and I've thought about PRS for a while, but my grades are right about 50th percentile and my Step 1 is 113. (And yes, I've studied my butt off). Knowing this, I've always assumed that the only way for me to get into PRS is to do GS first. I've read the charting outcomes in the match document, and I know I'm not even close to competitive for PRS. I have one article almost done, but no guarantees that it will get published. I met with a couple of people in the plastic surgery department and asked them what I should do. I was told "if you are interested in plastics you should definitely apply to integrated programs and do Sub-I's in plastics". I told them my grades and scores and they persisted. I really didn't feel like I was getting a straight answer at all. What gives? I know I'm not competitive for this by any stretch of the imagination. Of course I would love to get into an integrated residency, but I highly doubt I would get a second glance. Is there really any truth to what they told me? Should someone my position waste my time with PRS sub-Is or should I just concentrate on getting into a good GS program with an attached plastics fellowship?

Am I just being pessimistic? Or realistic?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably retake Step 1 with a score of 113. They don't really let you become a doctor with that total. At least not in America.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having trouble getting a straight answer here. I'm a 4th year now (today!) at a US allopathic school, and I've thought about PRS for a while, but my grades are right about 50th percentile and my Step 1 is 113. (And yes, I've studied my butt off). Knowing this, I've always assumed that the only way for me to get into PRS is to do GS first. I've read the charting outcomes in the match document, and I know I'm not even close to competitive for PRS. I have one article almost done, but no guarantees that it will get published. I met with a couple of people in the plastic surgery department and asked them what I should do. I was told "if you are interested in plastics you should definitely apply to integrated programs and do Sub-I's in plastics". I told them my grades and scores and they persisted. I really didn't feel like I was getting a straight answer at all. What gives? I know I'm not competitive for this by any stretch of the imagination. Of course I would love to get into an integrated residency, but I highly doubt I would get a second glance. Is there really any truth to what they told me? Should someone my position waste my time with PRS sub-Is or should I just concentrate on getting into a good GS program with an attached plastics fellowship?

Am I just being pessimistic? Or realistic?

do you mean 213?

Oh yes you're right I meant 213!!! It's been so long all I remember is the last two digits...

I think you have to be more realistic then the advice you're being given. A 213 on step I is about 2 standard deviations below the average score for successful applicants I think.

If you go all out to try and secure a plastic surgery position, you're likely going to be weakening your chances at matching at top surgical program by doing surgery sub-I's there instead where your score is more competative and there are more positions. A mediocre class rank and step I are by no means a lock for the better surgery programs at this pont in time either.

It is difficult to become a plastic surgeon.

dre i noticed u like three 6,

you should check out

"lets plan a robbery"

and

"***** got yak hooked"

cllllassssiiccsss

dre i noticed u like three 6,

you should check out

"lets plan a robbery"

and

"***** got yak hooked"

cllllassssiiccsss

I love most of the Memphis rap scene, especially Three Six. Most of their **** is classic. Will buy the new album at first opportunity.