ABIM Research Pathway Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seattle.brittle

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could give me insight into some questions I had about the ABIM research pathway.
1.) is it wise to pursue this pathway if my primary interest is mostly translational research? i.e working with patient samples I collect, performing analyses such as single cell RNA seq, mass cytometry, etc to try and identify potential mechanistic explanations for treatment efficacy? I don't have much interest in pursuing mouse work anymore, but would happily consider working with cells that are derived from patient samples.
2.) Is it possible to pursue the fellowship component of the ABIM research pathway at a different institution than the one I did the two years of IM in? If so how would one go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping someone could give me insight into some questions I had about the ABIM research pathway.
1.) is it wise to pursue this pathway if my primary interest is mostly translational research? i.e working with patient samples I collect, performing analyses such as single cell RNA seq, mass cytometry, etc to try and identify potential mechanistic explanations for treatment efficacy? I don't have much interest in pursuing mouse work anymore, but would happily consider working with cells that are derived from patient samples.
Yes. You don't have to do mouse work, or yeast work, or E coli work. You need to do lab-based work, but that's a pretty broad definition.
2.) Is it possible to pursue the fellowship component of the ABIM research pathway at a different institution than the one I did the two years of IM in? If so how would one go about this?
Yes. You just apply like normal, only a year early and only to programs that support the research pathway. I did this and interviewed at 6 or 7 (it's been a few years, I forget) programs other than my own, including places that had passed me over for residency interviews and initial research pathway interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. You don't have to do mouse work, or yeast work, or E coli work. You need to do lab-based work, but that's a pretty broad definition.

Yes. You just apply like normal, only a year early and only to programs that support the research pathway. I did this and interviewed at 6 or 7 (it's been a few years, I forget) programs other than my own, including places that had passed me over for residency interviews and initial research pathway interviews.
Thank you this is super helpful! For the second question, if I had already been accepted to an ABIM research pathway at my home institution (with a direct track to med onc), would I still be able apply to the fellowship component of the research pathway in different cities upon completing my second year of IM? Or would I only be able to do this if I were accepted into a ABIM research pathway that does not guarantee a fellowship position?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the second question, if I had already been accepted to an ABIM research pathway at my home institution (with a direct track to med onc), would I still be able apply to the fellowship component of the research pathway in different cities upon completing my second year of IM? Or would I only be able to do this if I were accepted into a ABIM research pathway that does not guarantee a fellowship position?
No matter what, you will need to apply for fellowship during the start of your second year. Some programs will guarantee a spot in their fellowship program (by ranking you to match), but staying at your home institution is never binding for you.

No matter what, you will need to apply for fellowship during the start of your second year. Some programs will guarantee a spot in their fellowship program (by ranking you to match), but staying at your home institution is never binding for you.
Oh I see, that makes sense. Do you think it would burn bridges at my home institution if I chose to apply/attend fellowships at different institutions? I get that its not technically a binding agreement that I stay for fellowship but if they had already committed a spot for me would that screw the program over later for that specific fellowship?

Oh I see, that makes sense. Do you think it would burn bridges at my home institution if I chose to apply/attend fellowships at different institutions? I get that its not technically a binding agreement that I stay for fellowship but if they had already committed a spot for me would that screw the program over later for that specific fellowship?
No, they just get one more spot down in the rank list to fill your spot. Nobody will care in the end.