about PCAT chemistry

Started by Seminole
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Seminole

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I have a general question.. Does anyone who already has taken the PCAT know how much Chem I vs ChemII is on it? I'm studying this summer and considered retaking Chem II as a summer class as a review/supplement. I got a C when I took it =/ so it probably couldn't hurt to replace that grade with an A? or should just reviewing be sufficient?

Thanks!
 
Um, what do you mean about Chem I and Chem II? Inorganic and organic?

I meant General Chem 1 and 2. I know organic is only about 40% of the chemistry portion and I'm pretty confident with that. I just didnt know how the remaining 60% was split for General Chem 1 and Gen chem 2. Because Gen Chem II is my problem area
 
I meant General Chem 1 and 2. I know organic is only about 40% of the chemistry portion and I'm pretty confident with that. I just didnt know how the remaining 60% was split for General Chem 1 and Gen chem 2. Because Gen Chem II is my problem area
It sounds like you're referring to certain courses at your university called General Chem 1 and 2. At my school the general chemistry course was essentially one long course, but too long to fit into one semester so they split it up into two parts. If that's the case, it's a bit hard to answer your question because it's all just "general chemistry" so...it depends what the specific content of your Gen Chem II course was.

Or maybe I'm not understanding?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seminole,

I'd hazard to guestimate that it was about 50/50; However, there seemed to be more conceptual questions regarding Chem 2 and more mathematical questions regarding Chem 1. You really have to understand conceptually what's going on with the exam since you don't get a calculator, so the math problems that they give you can't be too difficult. Bottom line, I'd make sure that I knew all of the concepts from Chem 1 and 2.
 
Hey guys,

I have a general question.. Does anyone who already has taken the PCAT know how much Chem I vs ChemII is on it? I'm studying this summer and considered retaking Chem II as a summer class as a review/supplement. I got a C when I took it =/ so it probably couldn't hurt to replace that grade with an A? or should just reviewing be sufficient?

Thanks!

We have gen chem I and II also. I honestly don't remember which semester was covered more heavily on the PCAT. but I'd say chem II would be the better of the two if there are no other factors. by taking chem II you would have to revisit at least a little of what you learned in chem I... but chem I obviously won't review anything from chem II.