ABPM 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podstar

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a little over a month out until the ABPM exam for this year. I registered since my hospital wanted me to be board certified ASAP out of residency even though I am BQ with ABFAS foot and RRA from the final year ITEs. Any recommendations for study material or advice? I still have access to the BoardsWizards ABPM multiple choice and cases from residency so I was planning to go through these some each night and then skim through pocket pod again. I know everyone says it is easy and it has a high pass rate, but don't want to take any chances on not passing with it being so expensive to sit for and my hospital paying for it. If you're taking it this go around let me know what you are using to prepare!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a little over a month out until the ABPM exam for this year. I registered since my hospital wanted me to be board certified ASAP out of residency even though I am BQ with ABFAS foot and RRA from the final year ITEs. Any recommendations for study material or advice? I still have access to the BoardsWizards ABPM multiple choice and cases from residency so I was planning to go through these some each night and then skim through pocket pod again. I know everyone says it is easy and it has a high pass rate, but don't want to take any chances on not passing with it being so expensive to sit for and my hospital paying for it. If you're taking it this go around let me know what you are using to prepare!

This has helped ppl taking the exam in the past. But with the mentioned resources you will pass. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
This post should be highlighted and read by all residents. As seen above, hospitals want and accept ABPM. I would also like to remind that Podstar has an excellent job.

The pass rate for ABPM is around 90%, on par with almost every single other medical and surgical specialty. https://www.abim.org/Media/yeqiumdc/certification-pass-rates.pdf

The only resource I will be using is board vitals. I take it in October with you. Hopefully that is sufficient. If you need access let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's crazy never heard wanting board certified right away. Abpm is for the birds

That's crazy never heard wanting board certified right away. Abpm is for the birds
Yeah I thought so too. I think they just want to be able to market and advertise me as board certified. They’re paying for the exam and all my dues (ACFAS, ABFAS, and ABPM) so I said fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I thought so too. I think they just want to be able to market and advertise me as board certified. They’re paying for the exam and all my dues (ACFAS, ABFAS, and ABPM) so I said fine.
It's mainly for signing you up for a few insurance plans. Some are easier or quicker with BC. (I did ABPM for same reason)

MD/DOs with ABMS boards don't really have 'board qualified' (and definitely not for long), so insurances - and some facilities - don't tend to understand it. They usually just have board cert... and occasionally 'board eligible.'