Advice for undergrad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WizardHowl

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'm an undergrad and I really want to go into opthalmology. I was just wondering what I could do now to optimize my situation. How is opth. going to be in 6 years in terms of competitiveness? I currently do cancer research and will have a paper out by the time I graduate, but will they not care about what I did during undergrad, even though I am working extensively in this lab? Or should I just look for opthalmology research even though I love the lab I'm working in now. Also I'm not going to lie to myself, I'm not the brightest person in the world and I really don't forsee myself doing stellar on step1, what can I do to help make up for a lower score that I will most likely get? Any advice at all would be appreciated. Having 20/10 vision I've always been intersted in this field. thanks guys!
 
wow, hmmm...where to start? i have to admire your eagerness. concentrate on the MCAT and getting into medical school. any published research will only help you and NOT hurt you re: o-p-h-t-h-a-l-m-o-l-o-g-y residency note the spelling 😉 do well in medical school. do ophthalmology research IF it interests you and i agree, have an open mind, ophthalmology is one of many fantastic to fields of medicine. remember to be a good specialist, you have to first know how to be a good generalist. Good luck, i'm sure we will see you on this forum in the future.