advice needed for getting recommendations

Started by stratom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stratom

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all that have gone through the process, please help me out. I just completed the past MCAT offerred in April and am now looking foward to writing the needed essays and obtaining letters of recommendation. I am planning to apply to a mix of both MD as well as MD/PhD programs.

In this situation, what subjects should I be asking my recommenders to focus in on? On one school's site, I read that letters specific for the MD/PhD programs are needed in addition to those submitted for the regular MD program. If so, is the same needed by most other programs? Also, would it look bad if I asked the same recommender to write both letters to be submitted to a single school? And letters of recommendation are asked for along with secondary application material? Your help is much appreciated.
 
I only applied to MD/PhD programs, so I don't know about all the specifics for MD, but I was under the impression that all MD letters are forwarded to the MD/PhD file as well (some schools establish an MD file for MD/PhD applicants regardless of one's interest in the straight MD program). I imagine it is acceptable to use MD/PhD letters for MD programs, but you should have specific MD letters in addition. I asked my references to speak about my academic capabilities and personal strengths, and I asked for letters from the following people:

-main PI/thesis advisor. I also took 2 classes from him.
-summer PI.
-another summer PI.
-bio professor/vice provost of undergrad studies. I also work for her indirectly in Freshmen programs.
-chemistry senior instructor. I took 6 chemistry classes from him and TAed for him for a term.
-poli sci professor. (some schools requireed a letter from a non-science professor)
-clinical experience letter: supervisor at volunteer clinic. This letter got to me very late, I only used it for two schools and I ended up declinding interviews at those schools (OHSU and Wisconsin). So for MD/PhD, it's fine to not have a clinical letter.

Letters are required if you get a secondary. They do not review your file until all letters have been received. A lot of schools also have "evaluation sheets" to be sent in with the letters. I applied to too many schools and felt it would be rude to ask my professors to fill out all these forms in addition to writing the letter, so I chose not to send in these forms. I'm not sure if that was detrimental to my application, but it doesn't matter to me now. Good luck.