Advice needed

Started by drbsn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drbsn

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. I recently graduated in May with my BS and am in the process of finishing up medical school prerequisites. Last semester, my first postbac semester, I was full time taking some courses I needed and some courses to enhance my application. This semester however there just is not a lot for me to choose from that would actually benefit me. Thus, I'm only taking general chemistry 2 and lab. Is this okay? I've been full-time for the past 9 semesters and graduated magna cum laude. My GPA is fine, and I'm on track to finish my prereqs in 2 more semesters after this one, which will consist of physics and organic.

Also, I work in an ICU, tutor, do research, and volunteer. Will these extracurricular activities offset the fact that I'm taking a lighter course load? I honestly just feel guilty about only taking a single class.
 
It is my understanding that as long as you can show adcoms that you were not sitting idly by while trying to finish up your pre-reqs, and that you can show you were in fact busy, that it will absolutely not go against you.

If there are any other upper level physio/bio courses available that aren't necessarily pre-req fillers, it could benefit you to take those. Otherwise, I'd say get deeply entrenched in your research and other EC's. See if you can pull a paper out of your research. A publication never looks bad.