Advice

Started by kcgregor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kcgregor

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm applying to schools next fall and I have a slight dilemma. The school I'm going to right now, CSULB, has the first year classes as upper division undergraduate classes instead of graduate classes. I spoke to the department coordinator and she said that as long as I keep my GPA up (minimum 3.0) and I should have a pretty good shot of getting into the program. This would mean that I would start PT school in my second year.

So here's my dilemma: do I apply to the other two schools (Chapman and Western) where if I do get in tuition will be much more expensive and it will take me three years to finish the program instead of two? Or do I risk it and only apply to the one program? I need to make a decision soon because there is one prerequisite left I need to take for those schools (abnormal psych) and I would need to take it this summer because my schedule for next year is really busy since I'll be taking some PT classes.

Thoughts?
 
I go to CSUN and they have a year of pre-reqs first too but they kinda sneak it up on you. It's basically the same classes. At CSUN you are admitted, but take those classes as part of the program.

If there is a chance you won't be accepted into the program, it wouldn't hurt to apply to other schools. The CSU system is going broke, I know at CSUN, many classes and part-time faculty have been cut and they are allowing fewer people in the first year class next year. If CSULB is the same, then I would find out if everybody who was accepted to take pre-reqs is still acepted to the program.