Aiming to high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jinglemybells

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

First time trying this... BUT long story short, when I was in high school and began applying for undergraduate schools, I got shot down from a lot of my dream schools. I saw undergraduate as a second chance and improved my grades and activities; but I'm still hesitant about applying for certain pharmacy schools. 🙁

About myself:
  • Senior at San Jose State University
  • 3.6 cum gpa (Dean's list 2014)
  • President of Pre-pharm club at my school
  • Event coordinator of Pre-pharm club at my school
  • Working at a compounding pharmacy (503b) as a quality assurance technician
  • Pharmacy Tech license
  • Working in 2 research labs (publication in progress, but may not be approved in time)
  • Volunteered at several events as part of the club (Relay for Life, Rock n Roll, etc)
  • PCAT Comp = 88% (Biol 97%; Chem 88%)
  • Letter of Recs from 2 professors and 1 from the owner of the compounding facility.
  • Participating in the UCSF PhAMLI mentoring
Schools I'm aiming for (in order):
  1. UCSF
  2. UCSD
  3. University of Washington Seattle
  4. University of Colorado
  5. University of Buffalo
  6. University of Minnesota
What are my chances?
Am I dreaming too big again?
What schools do you guys suggest?
Any other volunteering or activities I should take up?

Any information, suggestions, and/or constructive criticism would help! Thanks!
 
Hi guys,

First time trying this... BUT long story short, when I was in high school and began applying for undergraduate schools, I got shot down from a lot of my dream schools. I saw undergraduate as a second chance and improved my grades and activities; but I'm still hesitant about applying for certain pharmacy schools. 🙁

About myself:
  • Senior at San Jose State University
  • 3.6 cum gpa (Dean's list 2014)
  • President of Pre-pharm club at my school
  • Event coordinator of Pre-pharm club at my school
  • Working at a compounding pharmacy (503b) as a quality assurance technician
  • Pharmacy Tech license
  • Working in 2 research labs (publication in progress, but may not be approved in time)
  • Volunteered at several events as part of the club (Relay for Life, Rock n Roll, etc)
  • PCAT Comp = 88% (Biol 97%; Chem 88%)
  • Letter of Recs from 2 professors and 1 from the owner of the compounding facility.
  • Participating in the UCSF PhAMLI mentoring
Schools I'm aiming for (in order):
  1. UCSF
  2. UCSD
  3. University of Washington Seattle
  4. University of Colorado
  5. University of Buffalo
  6. University of Minnesota
What are my chances?
Am I dreaming too big again?
What schools do you guys suggest?
Any other volunteering or activities I should take up?

Any information, suggestions, and/or constructive criticism would help! Thanks!

You can never aim to high. Just apply see what happens. My first choice, I thought I had absolutely no chance and was even thinking about not filling out the supplemental. I finally broke down and submitted it. Guess what? I'm going into my 5th week at my first choice school and love it.

Good luck to you !