American FMG-friendly programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

helpfulstranger

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard, through the grapevine, of residency programs which might be, let's say, less averse to considering a non-Caribbean, US citizen FMG?

My stats:
263 step 1, 258 step 2ck
Honors in all core clerkships
2 solid LORs from American ophthalmologists
7 pubs -- 2 first author, only one ophtho (case series)
Master's degree with thesis
Interesting extracurriculars and non-traditional med student life story
 
FMGs, even US grads are certainly fighting an uphill battle.

Sf match doesn't list the # of FMG applicants so that you can calculate the rate at which they secure an ophtho spot. They only the # that match each year, which historically is about 20-30.

I know Henry Ford is a good clinical program that seems open to interviewing foreign grads.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Check out Indiana university. Every year they usually take one fmg. It is very nice residency program. I really enjoyed it when I was a resident there.
 
Have you tried to rotate in any US programs?

I think Loma Linda took one FMG recently. Try rotating at these programs that are mentioned above as well.