This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agent_purple

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take step 2, do >240 and you have a good shot. West coast is gonna be tough.

So, so glad the viqueens got embarrassed.

Reactions: 1 user
youre fine. I agree with above post. Try to improve both step 2 and comlex. I had a low step 1 and comlex 1, improved both, was brought up a lot on my improvement and people noticed. If you really have a certain program in mind try and do an away there but I dont think there is a magic number on aways, just how many programs do you want to see?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the negativity about doing away rotations is overblown. Anesthesiology is a field med students aren't expected to know much about, but have good opportunities to be useful in. That means that if you show up willing to help out and work hard you'll make a great impression and will really stand out from all the other 4th year students who are just there to fill an elective. I'm at the bottom of my class academically, but I got two LORs from one of my away rotations, and all the residents I worked with said I did a great job. They turned out to be my first interview invite, and there's absolutely no way I would have gotten an interview there otherwise. I'd recommend doing 1-3 away rotations at places you'd like to do residency at. I did two, and I wish I'd done one more. On the other hand, if the residents on your other rotations don't seem to find you all that helpful, you might be better off staying home.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the negativity about doing away rotations is overblown. Anesthesiology is a field med students aren't expected to know much about, but have good opportunities to be useful in. That means that if you show up willing to help out and work hard you'll make a great impression and will really stand out from all the other 4th year students who are just there to fill an elective. I'm at the bottom of my class academically, but I got two LORs from one of my away rotations, and all the residents I worked with said I did a great job. They turned out to be my first interview invite, and there's absolutely no way I would have gotten an interview there otherwise. I'd recommend doing 1-3 away rotations at places you'd like to do residency at. I did two, and I wish I'd done one more. On the other hand, if the residents on your other rotations don't seem to find you all that helpful, you might be better off staying home.

Cant agree more! I had the same experience. I did 4 aways, don't think I would of got 3 of them to invite me for an interview had I not rotated. That said dont think just by showing up they will like you. I saw other students I worked with who had great scores not get an interview invite back.