Step I Another USMLE experience (long also)

Started by smellycat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smellycat

Lactose Intolerant
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well...

Studied: 4 weeks (~3wks of studying 1 wk of tests and review)
I basically would study from morning till evening and do questions almost everyday.

Books used:
First Aid (seriously a MUST)
High Yield Neuroanatomy
HY Anatomy w/ Netters
HY Micro
HY Behavioral Science
HY Immunology
Medical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
BRS Path (another must)
Qbank (MUST also)

Progress: I would score about 65% on Qbank and eventually took in the inhouse Kaplan test (65%), Kaplan CD (58%) and the Released (73%).
Overall I would say that the material that I went over was enough. I liked the high yield series b/c it was quick to get through and they had most of the important items covered. I would make notes in my first aid as I was going through the material. I LOVED BRS path and I feel that my foundation came from that alone. I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention with the first aid path section but just glanced through it twice.
Pharm section in FA was enough for the exam (got a few strange looking drugs that aren't even listed in my Pharamacopeia.)
I think I spent too much time w/ my bugs but I probably would have studied it like that again.

A week b/f the Exam: I was doing full length exams and going over them. I would just study FA and ocassionally look up other stuff in the more indepth books.

Day b/f Exam: I did not take the opinions that most said. I think I actually learn a lot the day b/f. I just couldn't "relax." So I went over the weak subjects in FA and my notes list. (a list of anything that for some reason I would always forget...helped)

Day of the Exam:
Overall I would say that the test that I got was more geared towards the Actual released exam. The questions were similar but not as easy. I even had one question that was the exact same. Figure that will be an experimental or something...
I had a good amount of mixture. I really think that Path was stressed on my exam. I didn't really have a specific subject other than Path and Pharm which was to be expected.
There were only 2-3 questions that were the (WTF) type questions. I immediately skipped and got back to it at the end. I don't know about most of you, but I was having like 15-20mins left on the Qbank and released qs but on the actual I had like 1 minute or finished on the dot. I think it was b/c I was going at a slower pace b/c I was being more careful. Weird that I did it unconsciously or maybe the questions were a little longer. I didn't have anything OFF the page which was good b/c I didn't have to scroll down.

Day After the Exam: Man...this is the worst. I came out of the test thinking...that wasn't too bad...and then a day or two later I started to think of all the questions that I wasn't sure of...and then realizing I probably go them wrong. Thus converting my feeling of PASS--> FAIL. 😱 Now I am trying not to think about it and going on w/ my life. Started reading books and hanging out with people I love.
good luck to you all that haven't taken it..hope this helped. :clap: