This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlecow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How is AOA being handled at your schools?
Our 2021 class has at least one rotation graded credit/fail due to virus.
Usually, AOA is purely based on clerkship grades, with higher weights given to longer rotations (e.g. IM) and tiebreakers settled by Step1 score.
There is talk of not having AOA this year vs. expanding AOA beyond 15% range vs. proceeding with current ruleset...

I think it's unfair to cancel AOA for people who were banking on AOA to make up for mediocre Step scores
Unfortunately any decision is going to be unfair or unpalatable to somebody. Such is the nature of decision-making in the time of covid. But I don't think it's unfair to people who need to "make up for mediocre Step scores." The school doesn't assign Step scores, the students earn them independently.

Abandoning AOA or moving elections to after the match was already a trend before covid. It sucks but it's happening and is consistent with the general trend towards equality of outcomes and non-meritocracy in education. (I'm not saying there aren't flaws in the election process or med student evaluation, but I think it's a bad decision.)

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like if they do away with AOA they will have to explain that on everyone’s deans letters.