Applying for post bacc program

Started by Nimisha
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nimisha

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi -

I shall be completing a degree in B.Tech Chemical Engineering
at IIT Kharagpur in India by May 2009.

After many months of consideration, i want to pursue medicine,
and hope to go to the US by summer 2009 to start the progess.

Can anyone advice:
- about which institutions offer a good post-bac course.
- do they consider international students
- is financial aid awarded to international students
- I dont have any biological sciences background after my 10th grade. Is that going to be a problem?
Will schools give me a conditional offer, or should i wait until i have my
final degree grade to apply?

Thanks in advance,
 
Nimisha,

This semester I just began studies at Columbia's Postbacc Premed program. When I researched postbacc programs, this one came across as the oldest and best in the country. So far, I have been impressed with the faculty and the level of organization of the program.

As per your questions:

-Yes, there are several international students in the program.
-Financial aid is offered only in the form of student loans, which I believe you will find at any institution for a non-degree seeking postbacc premed program or if you already have one Bachelor's degree. But I believe if you work for the school at least half time, you can get tuition remission for up to 7 credit hours, which is more than you will probably take each semester anyhow.
-The school actually prefers that you have taken little or no science in your past. More info about who they accept is on their website (given below).
-I believe they will conditionally accept you.

More info about the program is located on their website:

http://www.gs.columbia.edu/index_postbacc.htm

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers!
Eric