Are AdComs familiar with ethnoracial representation stats for physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E0001234

Reaction score
Potentially stupid question here:

I’m working on my diversity essay and crafting it around my being a Black man. I want to include a line that goes something like “I want to reassure other young Black men who may doubt that 5% isn’t enough”, citing the stat that Black male physicians are less than 5% of the American physician workforce.

Would I be wasting characters by including this sentence/are adcoms familiar with this stat?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just helping.

AdComs will have an ex officio representative from the Diversity/Student Affairs team who can provide expertise but may not be given voting privileges (depending on the school). To answer your question, go for it. Alternatively, ask the SNMA contacts or their faculty advisors for advice too.

Reactions: 1 user
It can seem "cringey" when applicants state what is painfully obvious.
I once had an interviewee ask me if I was aware that there were "healthcare disparities!"
We accepted (and matriculated!) her, but I can never forget the earnest look she gave me while stating the obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While we know it's a number that's way too small, I don't think many would know the actual % off the top, no.

Reactions: 1 user
Potentially stupid question here:

I’m working on my diversity essay and crafting it around my being a Black man. I want to include a line that goes something like “I want to reassure other young Black men who may doubt that 5% isn’t enough”, citing the stat that Black male physicians are less than 5% of the American physician workforce.

Would I be wasting characters by including this sentence/are adcoms familiar with this stat?

Thanks!
We're very aware. You're mentioning it is still fine

Reactions: 1 users