This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038378

\

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be any and all of the above. They might be MDs, MD/PhDs, PhDs, and other people affiliated with the school (including students). As the wise gyngyn said,
LCME requires that the majority of members be faculty of the school of medicine (Standard 10.2).

So almost everyone on the adcom is going to be members of faculty

Reactions: 2 users
The people who read your application and the members of the admissions committee are not necessarily the same people. Your application may be read by admissions office administrative staff (which I assume is what you meant by education majors?) as a sort of screen. Med students may participate in the interview process and read your app, and at some schools I believe there are seats for current students on the admissions committee.

The admissions committee itself, i.e. the group who decides on admission for any given candidate who is interviewed, is mostly MD faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious what the background is of the people who read your personal statement and app. Are they usually practicing physicians? Or are they education majors, phDs, or med students for example?
At my school we have equal number of DO/MD to PhDs. Of the former all but maybe 1-2 are in practice. We have one med student on committee as well. This is very common.

I noticed a lot of med schools have an admissions associate dean or assistant director or admissions coordinator. These are usually the people that answer your emails and meet you interview day. They have BS or education degrees. Are they part of the group that reads your application?
Some associate deans of admissions are physicians!

The people making decisions about your application can include any faculty members of the medical school which might include a medical anthropologist, anatomist, biostatistican, clinical psychologist, medical ethicist, as well as people in any of the medical specialties. Write for an educated audience but do not assume a broad base of medical knowledge. (Many people are deep in a super-sub-specialty and have a very foggy notion of what they learned about things outside their area of expertise. -- Don't use an acronym for a rare genetic disorder and expect the geriatrician to know what you are talking about.)

Many practicing physicians are far removed from their own application cycle. They also may not know what the adcom was looking for when they were admitted never mind what we are looking for 10-40 years later.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Goro, do you think the feedback on your application from practicing physicians a good idea? I see a lot of people on these forums say that don't take personal statement feedback from practicing physicians because they are out of touch with the process. But I am not so sure since as you mentioned a lot of the adcom is DO/MD.
I agree with the vibe that they are way out of touch with the process. The only people you should get feedback from are people with experience with med school admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
At my school we have equal number of DO/MD to PhDs. Of the former all but maybe 1-2 are in practice. We have one med student on committee as well. This is very common.

is that med school student a voting member?

is that med school student a voting member?

depends on the school and what you consider "a voting member." I was involved in admission in med school and I was treated almost identically to the other people. I didn't see grades and scores but I saw everything else and scored them in the same way. students weren't involved in anything after that.

I noticed a lot of med schools have an admissions associate dean or assistant director or admissions coordinator. These are usually the people that answer your emails and meet you interview day. They have BS or education degrees. Are they part of the group that reads your application?
At my school they were.

Don't tell them applying to 25+ schools is new norm, they may think you lack confidence :)