Are you motivated?

Started by NewRx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NewRx

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most medical students are excited about their future careers and even consider early on their field of practice.

Engineers, too, must choose a branch and like doctors, this will define their level of expertise.

As pharmacy students, are you fired up about your future place in the healthcare field? Post graduation, you either work immediately or do a residency. Your residency will not be limited to your chosen field. At any given time, you can rotate retail or being a clinical pharmacist. The choice is yours. You are not limited to one sub-branch of pharmacy. How cool is that!

Folks, I'm excited about my future as a Pharmacy Doctor. I aspire to be a clinical pharmacist and will do either a diabetes, infectious disease or primary care residency. I'll always have the option to do retail or even teach pharmacy courses. Pharmacy is so versatile; I can't wait to start trying my new tablet PC and rotating in the hospital actually helping patients get better! Are you motivated?

Clinical Pharmacist (IE explorer)

Pfizer career guide

Exciting career
 
I am certainly excited not about the idea or the possibility, but about the REALITY that four years from now, I will be a health care professional, specifically a pharmacist.

I feel particularly motivated and excited because I worked VERY HARD to get to this stage and I believe it is a privilege not everyone has. As upcoming or current pharmacy students, I believe we should be thankful and grateful of our position because the vast majority of people do not have such great jobs at all.

I am really considering working at a hospital pharmacy post-graduation because I feel it fits my personality more. Retail is too hectic and I like to take my time on things, I don't like to rush. That is the good thing about pharmacy. You can choose retail, hospital, or some other branch of pharmacy.

On the downside, now that I'm about to get started for my first professional year in about five weeks, I am more nervous and apprehensive than ever about the next four years. Like I said above, I worked arduously in my college coursework to even get to this stage and now my fear is actually making it throughout the next four years. There is so much up ahead, so many new experiences, so many people to meet, so much debt to incur, etc... that it appears to be overwhelming and I am afraid of changes. This is especially true because I am moving out-of-state to go to school and I be separated from my parents and the comfort of my home for the first time in my life I just turned 22. So, as much as I am excited, I also have the type of personality that consists of excessive worry and anxiety. Perhaps, I am type A. I am also extremely pessimistic, so I imagine the WORST possible things that can happen.

For example, when I graduated high school and was about to go to college, I had so many worries about thriving in my coursework and imagined the worst things that could possibly happen such as dropping out because of failure and ending up like a complete loser. In the end, I made it with a 3.93 gpa, but now I'm afraid of the next level and even though I am slightly excited, I am fearful of the coursework, meeting new people, etc... Lol. At this rate, I see myself dying of MI before I'm even 50.

So, let's just hope I survive the next 4 years. I'd like to be even more excited, but I can't deny my anxious state. :scared:
 
I am excited too! Excited about everything that is to come. Right now though, I'm kind of stressing out about applications and whether or not I will get into the pharmacy school of my choice, so that excitement is being replaced temporarily by stress and worry. Hopefully, I'll make it like you guys! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah this is why I'm not a doctor, because I can rotate fields as I wish with minimal extra schooling (well, if compared to a doctor). I love the options that a PharmD offers. Just kinda sucks that I have 4 more years before I get my degree (finished prepharm, now officially a professional pharmacy student starting this fall).
 
Yeah this is why I'm not a doctor, because I can rotate fields as I wish with minimal extra schooling (well, if compared to a doctor). I love the options that a PharmD offers. Just kinda sucks that I have 4 more years before I get my degree (finished prepharm, now officially a professional pharmacy student starting this fall).


Actually, you WILL be a doctor as a Pharm.D. graduate just as much as an M.D., D.O, or O.D. graduate. What you WILL NOT be is a physician 😉. Biig difference. And from what I've heard, those four years are going to pass in the blink of an eye.
 
Actually, you WILL be a doctor as a Pharm.D. graduate just as much as an M.D., D.O, or O.D. graduate. What you WILL NOT be is a physician 😉. Biig difference.

Haha, I have to get used to making the doctor/physician distinction 🙂
 
Not to further hijack, but this reminds me of a story from my favorite math professor (named changed to protect the innocent).

One time while at a hospital, a student walked by and said, "Hi, Dr. Smith." One of the nurses heard the word "doctor," so she came over to him and was talking about speeding up the process for him.

Eventually, she came back and said that she could not find his name on the list of doctors. When she learned that he was a PhD and not a MD working there she said, "oh, so you aren't a real doctor."

Dr. Smith doesn't have an ego about the title, but she really made him mad, so he told her off.
 
I feel particularly motivated and excited because I worked VERY HARD to get to this stage and I believe it is a privilege not everyone has. As upcoming or current pharmacy students, I believe we should be thankful and grateful of our position because the vast majority of people do not have such great jobs at all.

On the downside, now that I'm about to get started for my first professional year in about five weeks, I am more nervous and apprehensive than ever about the next four years.

So, let's just hope I survive the next 4 years. I'd like to be even more excited, but I can't deny my anxious state.

I feel the same way... very excited, but very nervous/anxious/apprehensive about the next 4 years. I really am grateful that I've gotten so far though. I worked so hard and it all seems to be paying off now. I'm just worried about the next 4 years though. Everyone has said the first year is the hardest and I'm hoping that I will be able to make it through... I'm so used to the small class sizes at my cc (there was 4 people - including myself - in my ochem class), it's going to be so different having >100 people in my class!

I'm also excited about all the options available to pharmacists too... it was one of the reasons I choose to go into pharmacy as opposed to medicine, so much more flexibility 😀
 
I feel the same way... very excited, but very nervous/anxious/apprehensive about the next 4 years. I really am grateful that I've gotten so far though. I worked so hard and it all seems to be paying off now. I'm just worried about the next 4 years though. Everyone has said the first year is the hardest and I'm hoping that I will be able to make it through... I'm so used to the small class sizes at my cc (there was 4 people - including myself - in my ochem class), it's going to be so different having >100 people in my class!

I'm also excited about all the options available to pharmacists too... it was one of the reasons I choose to go into pharmacy as opposed to medicine, so much more flexibility 😀


Wow, 4 people in an ochem class? That's incredible. My ochem courses consisted of about 50 students each semester.
 
Wow, 4 people in an ochem class? That's incredible. My ochem courses consisted of about 50 students each semester.

I know, right! We started out with 7, I think... it was awesome. We had the professor's undivided attention. No doubt I will miss it 🙁
 
Wow, 4 people in an ochem class? That's incredible. My ochem courses consisted of about 50 students each semester.

Try 185 in ochem (but 50 in recitations and 30 in labs)
And 250-300 in biochem this year (again, about 50-60 in recitations). Same with pharm. calculations and physio (I believe there aren't even recitations in physio). I hear they actually immuno this year by cutting it down to 150 instead of 300...


This is what happens when a school increases its PharmD program from 15 to 300 and then cuts faculty.

I guess lecture doesn't matter much. You can always ask questions in recitation, since most of the classes have it.
 
I just take it one year at a time. Though it's advisable for students to align themselves with the right people to get a residency, that decision seems relatively far away for me. This strategy prevents me from getting overwhelmed about an uncertain future likely full of surprises, trials, and tribulations.
 
I just take it one year at a time. Though it's advisable for students to align themselves with the right people to get a residency, that decision seems relatively far away for me. This strategy prevents me from getting overwhelmed about an uncertain future likely full of surprises, trials, and tribulations.


Eh, I really wish I could have a similar "year-by-year and at ease" train of thought like you and other people. Unfortunately, I worry too much about things and think too much of the future. My biggest and ultimate fear in life is failure. Hell, I don't even feel safe considering I actually made it into pharmacy school. Until I don't see my doctorate degree in hand and my full-time job offers in 4 years, nothing is secure in my opinion and there's always room for failure. Eh, I'm such a pessimist. I can't wait till I complete my education and rest assured that my future is set professionally...won't have to worry about school anymore or any of that. Instead, I'll shift my focus to other matters that don't cause me as much anxiety such as bills, payments, etc...
 
I just take it one year at a time. Though it's advisable for students to align themselves with the right people to get a residency, that decision seems relatively far away for me. This strategy prevents me from getting overwhelmed about an uncertain future likely full of surprises, trials, and tribulations.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your candidness and I concur. However, I'll add a few comments. Our lives is full of planning, re-planning and seeing our goals blossom albeit with a few hiccups is our ultimate reward. Once achieved, we gleefully embrace them and move on to new set of goals.

Will I be happy as a clinical pharmacist, I think so. Herein is the holy grail of our own existence. We seek to reach the zenith of our potential (whatever it may be) or what we are able to achieve given our present situation. This extra feeds our insatiable curiosity without downplaying our prior achievements. For me personally, I'll be happier having a wife and kids and a successful career while hoping for the best. But I'll probably keep looking for new set of challenges with a loving family as my backbone.


Unfortunately, I worry too much about things and think too much of the future. My biggest and ultimate fear in life is failure. Hell, I don't even feel safe considering I actually made it into pharmacy school. I can't wait till I complete my education and rest assured that my future is set professionally...won't have to worry about school anymore or any of that. Instead, I'll shift my focus to other matters that don't cause me as much anxiety such as bills, payments, etc...

Do I Worry? You betcha I do! Most of us do.

All your life, you readied yourself for this moment. Your pessimism seems to fuel your motivations to strive and not be complacent. I think this time of your life (as is your entire education) is a time to take stock and see what really matters to you in life. The fact is, you worked hard for the GPA and you got accepted to pharmacy school. This obsessive worrying, in fact, will take away from your joy of learning. Consequently, you might become an irascible pharmacist. For example, I worked hard against difficult odds to be a pharmacy student. I'd like to say that I have good people skills and for the most part, I do. I have very little patience for someone whose mouth only spews nonsensical things all day long. Things that neither contribute to my intelligence or better me as a person. Ok. I'm not saying to be a nerd here. I'm saying to strike a delicate balance between communication conducive to learning and just being a blabbermouth (which is necessary at times to keep one sane). This I worry a lot about but I try to be patient.

Just when you think your problems will be over once you earn your PharmD, think again! Won't you worry about messing up at work? After all, the families whose loved ones depend on you will want you to ease their fears but also to show an air of confidence. Don't let your constant worrying take away from the joy of your career. Whether your pessimism is a short term motivation or long term deterrent, you owe it to yourself to be content. Congrats on being accepted to NSU!!! Welcome to the sunny state of Florida!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your candidness and I concur. However, I'll add a few comments. Our lives is full of planning, re-planning and seeing our goals blossom albeit with a few hiccups is our ultimate reward. Once achieved, we gleefully embrace them and move on to new set of goals.

Will I be happy as a clinical pharmacist, I think so. Herein is the holy grail of our own existence. We seek to reach the zenith of our potential (whatever it may be) or what we are able to achieve given our present situation. This extra feeds our insatiable curiosity without downplaying our prior achievements. For me personally, I'll be happier having a wife and kids and a successful career while hoping for the best. But I'll probably keep looking for new set of challenges with a loving family as my backbone.






Do I Worry? You betcha I do! Most of us do.

All your life, you readied yourself for this moment. Your pessimism seems to fuel your motivations to strive and not be complacent. I think this time of your life (as is your entire education) is a time to take stock and see what really matters to you in life. The fact is, you worked hard for the GPA and you got accepted to pharmacy school. This obsessive worrying, in fact, will take away from your joy of learning. Consequently, you might become an irascible pharmacist. For example, I worked hard against difficult odds to be a pharmacy student. I'd like to say that I have good people skills and for the most part, I do. I have very little patience for someone whose mouth only spews nonsensical things all day long. Things that neither contribute to my intelligence or better me as a person. Ok. I'm not saying to be a nerd here. I'm saying to strike a delicate balance between communication conducive to learning and just being a blabbermouth (which is necessary at times to keep one sane). This I worry a lot about but I try to be patient.

Just when you think your problems will be over once you earn your PharmD, think again! Won't you worry about messing up at work? After all, the families whose loved ones depend on you will want you to ease their fears but also to show an air of confidence. Don't let your constant worrying take away from the joy of your career. Whether your pessimism is a short term motivation or long term deterrent, you owe it to yourself to be content. Congrats on being accepted to NSU!!! Welcome to the sunny state of Florida!!!




Thanks for the understanding and encouraging words you have expressed. I guess you could be right...almost my entire life I have used my pessimism to get me motivated and get things done. And thanks for the welcome to the sunny state of Florida. lol.
 
My biggest and ultimate fear in life is failure.

Hey me too! Don't know of too many other people that have the same fear. Lol, well I guess I never thought of myself as a pessimist though. I always thought I was more neurotic. I guess I could add to it that my biggest fear in life is failure, and that I'm not good enough. In everything that I do I'm never good enough. . .Well, except for keeping a clean house ^_^' Its funny because this is a driving motivation behind many things that I do in life, however it seems to hamper life with excessive worry for me.
 
For me, pharmacy was never something I considered as a career until the ripe young age of 28. Up through two weeks ago, I was a high school math teacher.... though I have been persuing my Masters Degree in School Counseling and taking prepharmacy classes the past two years.

Some say, well, where did your interest in pharmacy come from? For me, it was working with my students on a daily basis. During my teaching and counseling, I have learned that drugs with todays youth are abundant. I have worked with students with behavior issues, ADD/ADHD, Schizophrenia, mood disorders, depression, suicidal thoughts, and Asbergers Syndrome. It is working with my students that has afforded me the insight into wanting to learn more about drugs.... Where does this lead me too now?

Pharmacy School... starting September 2, 2008. I was the first in my family to go to college.... I was once the quiet one in the back the room that said nothing, and now I have worked to become a person that is open and willing to talk with lots of people and gaining leadership experience. My thinking on this is as follows:

I have went up against a number of odds all of my life, and I have perservered. Will pharmacy school be hard? YES! However, working 2 jobs and taking 14 credit hours at the age of 30 was hard too. Opening myself up when I was not socially adept was difficult. ... and making it to college when no one else in the family had before is hard too.

You CAN and WILL succeed. Just do WHATEVER IT TAKES! If it takes 20 hours a day with 4 hours of sleep and no fun, then that's what it takes. I will do whatever I have to for this goal in my life. Where will I end up in the future? Hopefully, working in a childrens hospital, perhaps with a subspeciality of pediatric oncology, teaching college pharmacy somewhere, then money to boot. Believe me though, life experiences and faith are the keys that have me to this point, and I am going to achieve what I set out to do... because in becoming a true leader and professional in a field such as pharmacy, that is just what needs to be done. Period.

Best of luck to you all !
 
For me, pharmacy was never something I considered as a career until the ripe young age of 28. Up through two weeks ago, I was a high school math teacher.... though I have been persuing my Masters Degree in School Counseling and taking prepharmacy classes the past two years.

Some say, well, where did your interest in pharmacy come from? For me, it was working with my students on a daily basis. During my teaching and counseling, I have learned that drugs with todays youth are abundant. I have worked with students with behavior issues, ADD/ADHD, Schizophrenia, mood disorders, depression, suicidal thoughts, and Asbergers Syndrome. It is working with my students that has afforded me the insight into wanting to learn more about drugs.... Where does this lead me too now?

Pharmacy School... starting September 2, 2008. I was the first in my family to go to college.... I was once the quiet one in the back the room that said nothing, and now I have worked to become a person that is open and willing to talk with lots of people and gaining leadership experience. My thinking on this is as follows:

I have went up against a number of odds all of my life, and I have perservered. Will pharmacy school be hard? YES! However, working 2 jobs and taking 14 credit hours at the age of 30 was hard too. Opening myself up when I was not socially adept was difficult. ... and making it to college when no one else in the family had before is hard too.

You CAN and WILL succeed. Just do WHATEVER IT TAKES! If it takes 20 hours a day with 4 hours of sleep and no fun, then that's what it takes. I will do whatever I have to for this goal in my life. Where will I end up in the future? Hopefully, working in a childrens hospital, perhaps with a subspeciality of pediatric oncology, teaching college pharmacy somewhere, then money to boot. Believe me though, life experiences and faith are the keys that have me to this point, and I am going to achieve what I set out to do... because in becoming a true leader and professional in a field such as pharmacy, that is just what needs to be done. Period.

Best of luck to you all !

You're never too old to start a new career!