The MBA cost: Is it worth its weight to the professional student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frazier

Palliative Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the advent of the MD/MBA joint-degree came an "official" acknowledgement from our educational institutions that perhaps it is not inherently "wrong" for physicians to be profit-oriented and maintain an entrepreneurial mind...running their practices, heading their departments, managing their hospitals, and directing their health systems. (Note: those managing hospitals and health systems are, in fact, usually not physicians -- but that is a talking point for another day.)

As I tend to proclaim in my SDN posts, while a great asset, the MBA-facet of the joint degree is not a necessary (or a sufficient) credential to successfully run a private practice (or a department). So, why get one? Well, the answer to that is beyond the scope of this particular article. Therefore, let us assume for the sake of this discussion that you already have a well-thought out response to "why" you want to seek an MBA. I think it is reasonable to also assume that your answer [no matter how simplistic, intricate, straightforward, or convoluted] will be a comprehensive summation of your perceived pros of the degree. Aggregating these aforementioned pros into one streamlined entity, let us call the amalgam that is hot out the mold the "benefit".

If you have any background in business whatsoever, between the title of this article and the key term from our sentence above, you know where we are heading next: the cost. Is the MBA worth it? We already have half the equation in hand (read: the benefit). But, the other half... What is the cost?

I urge you to run the numbers specifically for your own program of interest (some will be cheaper, some more expensive). For our intents and purposes, we are first going to set the scenario and parameters for our two friends: Donald and Daffy. They will be attending a top 10 MBA program and both will take out 150k in loans solely for medical school.

Donald entered Dartmouth medical school as a traditional biology major. He has no formal training/experience in business (inside or outside the classroom). Nevertheless, Donald does fully know what an MBA is and feels that, by earning this additional degree, he will be well-suited to run a private practice in his specialty of choice. Moreover, he secretly thinks, "Donald, MD, MBA" just "looks plain cool".

Daffy, similar to Donald, entered Dartmouth as a biology major; although, he also has a minor in business administration -- with a handful of courses ranging from accounting to marketing to an elective course in managing new ventures. Daffy, like Donald, fully knows what an MBA is and hopes to open a private practice in his specialty of choice; however, he always feels the bite of the entrepreneurial bug on the back of his neck and feels that a role in healthcare venture capital is in his future.

Stepping away from our two friends for a moment, I quickly looked up the current COA (cost of attendance) for Dartmouth's MBA program ($85,950 for year 1 and $88,400 for year 2). It is relevant to now point out that Dartmouth offers both the "traditional" 5-year MD/MBA program (where the MBA curriculum is essentially condensed to a single calendar year) and a more expansive 6-year MD/MBA program.

Returning to Donald and Daffy, our two heroes now proceed onward down different paths toward earning their MBA degrees. Donald, with his complete lack of business knowledge and uncertainty of special interests (such as "financial management", "international business", "entrepreneurship", etc.), has decided to take the 6-year MD/MBA route (hoping to lay a solid foundation with a full breadth of introductory courses before exploring a wide variety of upper level coursework). Daffy, on the other hand, feels that his basic knowledge is reasonable and is fully cognizant of his special interest in "entrepreneurship and new ventures"; Daffy enrolls in the 5-year MD/MBA program.

At first glance, our watered-down cost-benefit analysis appears to be obvious:

Donald's "benefit" is that he wants a broad business education that will render him well-suited to run a private practice (and the extra degree offers him a feeling of self-satisfaction).

Daffy's "benefit" is that he wants to develop a deeper, specialized knowledgebase in "entrepreneurship and new ventures"; he wants to be positioned to become an expert in this domain.

Donald's "cost" appears to be $85,950 (year 1) + $88,400 (year 2) = $174,350

Daffy's "cost" appears to be $85,950 (year 1).

Stop! We have made a very big mistake.

The numbers, being oh-so-important in our analysis, need to be revisited. Not only did we fail to account for the opportunity cost that both Donald and Daffy will be individually paying (e.g. lost wages from extra time spent in school, lost interest earned on savings from the lost wages, etc.), but we also neglected the fact that [thanks to our departure from subsidized graduate loans] interest has been accruing on both their medical school loans and business school loans during the extra time spent in school.

I am going to run the numbers below in a grossly over-simplified fashion. For example, Stafford graduate loans currently have an interest rate of 6.80%; however, they also have a cap allowance of $224,000. Obviously, both of our MD/MBA heroes will be surpassing that limit, ergo, in reality, they would have to get an alternative loan for the additional funding (likely at a higher interest rate). Furthermore, in reality, Dartmouth mixes some of their business courses in other years of the MD/MBA program rather than separate "all business" years. We are going to ignore these pesky facts...this is not accounting class; today, I am not a bean counter. In fact, I am going to round to the thousands place.

At the end of Daffy's 5-year MD/MBA program (MS1, MS2, MS3, BS1, MS4), with 6.8% unsubsidized loans, he owes a total of $285,000.

At the end of Donald's 6-year MD/MBA program (MS1, MS2, MS3, BS1, BS2, MS4), with 6.8% unsubsidized loans, he owes a total of $402,000.

To put those into perspective, we need to find the difference between [the values above] and [what they would have owed regardless by taking out 150k in loans for the MD degree (their alternative option)]. Both heroes, doing solely the 4-year MD, would have each owed $178,000.

So, thus far, we have Daffy's MBA cost at $107,000 and Donald's MBA cost at $224,000. However, they will not be paying these extra loan amounts off the first day out of school. No, they will likely take a while...10 years is an often cited period for repayment, so let us stick with that.

At the end of repayment, Daffy will have paid $148,000 and Donald will have paid $309,000. We will ignore the time value of money and what they could have invested that money into instead of pay off their extra debt.

Let's throw in a little opportunity cost, assuming they are the same age at enrollment and both retire at 60, Daffy has lost 1 year of wages and Donald has lost 2 years of wages. Now, at this point, we could get technical. We could establish their specialties, their taxing bracket, their deductibles, their return on savings, etc. (for the year/s of lost wages)...or we can save a lot of time and just estimate them at $150,000 per year (post-tax, all-inclusive of compounding investments, etc.). With that said, Daffy has an opportunity cost of $150,000 from lost wages and Donald has an opportunity cost of $300,000 from lost wages.

Okay, so what was each of our friends total cost?

Daffy: $148,000 (actual) + $150,000 (opportunity) = $298,000.
Donald: $309,000 (actual) + $300,000 (opportunity) = $609,000.

So was the MBA worth its cost for these two professional students? At first glance [and after you pick your jaw off the floor], perhaps a resounding "no" came out of your mouth. Nevertheless, this is where we need to go back, consider the benefits, and consider what we do not know... We do not know the future. Did Daffy ever pursue his interests in venture capital? Maybe his newfound acumen led him to a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and he became a millionaire: his investment paid off. Maybe his MBA only made him an extra 30k [post-tax, no investments] per year (note: quantifying like this will never be that simple in real life), in which case he broke even after ~10 years (assuming he didn't pay extra on his loan) and started earning a profit, subsequently. Maybe he never broke even.

What about Donald? Well, as I mentioned at the beginning of this article, Donald did not really need an MBA to run a successful private practice. Nevertheless, maybe he had some groundbreaking ideas that changed the way he offered his services and he did turn a profit from his $609,000 investment (but, most likely not). However, Donald had that extra little facet of his benefit -- he wanted the MBA because he thought it was "cool". It offered him some sort of intangible worth. Was that self-fulfillment enough to cover his $609,000 investment or did he make the worst financial decision of his life? The answer to that question depends completely on the answer to another question: Was his last name Duck or Trump?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay. Well. Thoughts.

- I don't think you addressed why anyone would want the MBA in the first place. Granted, the forum appeals to that crowd, but for an article, it wouldn't hurt to address it.

- I would try writing as though you were sending an e-mail to your friends. It would trim down some of the verbosity tremendously, opening up accessibility.

- Getting an MBA if you intend to go into only private practice (or an otherwise more traditional route) is a waste of money (but, as you say, if the nontangibles of having more letters is that important to you, well, go for it, though it might be good to reevaluate your life). If you're planning to go into something with which you can leverage the networking opportunities (consulting is an easy example), then okay, but most of those opportunities will pay for you to get your MBA down the line anyway. Otherwise, reading a couple books and discussing things with a few mentors can get you all the applicable in-class knowledge an MBA has to offer.

- Is it true that you have to start repaying your loans if you do a year in business school? That doesn't seem right, but admittedly I don't know a ton about the loan side of things.

Edit: Sorry, I can't tell if this is something you wrote, or found elsewhere and are posting here. The writing style (saying "the feline perambulated through the aperture" instead of "the cat walked through the door") is a pet peeve of mine, so I might've been less diplomatic than usual. Sorry! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. Well. Thoughts.

1- I don't think you addressed why anyone would want the MBA in the first place. Granted, the forum appeals to that crowd, but for an article, it wouldn't hurt to address it.

2- I would try writing as though you were sending an e-mail to your friends. It would trim down some of the verbosity tremendously, opening up accessibility.

3- Getting an MBA if you intend to go into only private practice (or an otherwise more traditional route) is a waste of money (but, as you say, if the nontangibles of having more letters is that important to you, well, go for it, though it might be good to reevaluate your life). If you're planning to go into something with which you can leverage the networking opportunities (consulting is an easy example), then okay, but most of those opportunities will pay for you to get your MBA down the line anyway. Otherwise, reading a couple books and discussing things with a few mentors can get you all the applicable in-class knowledge an MBA has to offer.

4- Is it true that you have to start repaying your loans if you do a year in business school? That doesn't seem right, but admittedly I don't know a ton about the loan side of things.

5- Edit: Sorry, I can't tell if this is something you wrote, or found elsewhere and are posting here. The writing style (saying "the feline perambulated through the aperture" instead of "the cat walked through the door") is a pet peeve of mine, so I might've been less diplomatic than usual. Sorry! :p

I'll touch on the topics sequentially...

1. You're right on the mark. I did not address "why" anyone would want an MBA. This is all about "the cost", much more so than one's motivations (except those required to paint the full portrait of the scenarios). In fact, I gave readers a heads up: "So, why get one? Well, the answer to that is beyond the scope of this particular article. Therefore, let us assume for the sake of this discussion that you already have a well-thought out response to "why" you want to seek an MBA." ...Perhaps it will be a topic for future pieces.

2. Right again -- I tend to be long-winded. My PI thinks so. My professors thought so. I warn my interviewers so. You should see the length of the emails that I send to friends. Perhaps I have newfound fodder for the "weakness" question at interviews?

3. Yes, I believe we agree on this.

4. I'm not sure if you are asking that question in general -- or if it is something you took away from the article. If from the article, either you misread something or I misspoke somewhere. However, I don't see where I indicated that repayment was mandated to start upon entering B-school.

5. Certainly... As the classic saying goes, different strokes for individuals exhibiting nonidentical existences and/or characteristics. ;)

EDIT: Thanks for the read!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Curiosity xD

Ain't nobody got time for dual degree MD/MBA... nor the money

Reactions: 1 users
Just crunched some of your numbers... wouldn't the 4 year MD be 4x86,000 (not accounting for increasing tuition costs)? That is 344,000...

The 5 year would be 430,000

The 6 year would be 516,000

Assuming 150,000 post-tax, given 31% total taxes -> 220,000 static income? Assuming single filing, family size of 1

344,000 -> With a standard 120 repayment plan at fixed amount / month -> 475000 total repaid

430,000 -> "" "" -> 593,000 total repaid
516,000 -> "" "" -> 690,000 total repaid

Courtesy of https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/mobile/repayment/repaymentEstimator.action
Really cool infographic about how much you pay each month, at the last month, total repaid, total interest paid!

Just crunched some of your numbers... wouldn't the 4 year MD be 4x86,000 (not accounting for increasing tuition costs)? That is 344,000...

The 5 year would be 430,000

The 6 year would be 516,000

Assuming 150,000 post-tax, given 31% total taxes -> 220,000 static income? Assuming single filing, family size of 1

344,000 -> With a standard 120 repayment plan at fixed amount / month -> 475000 total repaid

430,000 -> "" "" -> 593,000 total repaid
516,000 -> "" "" -> 690,000 total repaid

Courtesy of https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/mobile/repayment/repaymentEstimator.action
Really cool infographic about how much you pay each month, at the last month, total repaid, total interest paid!
Your numbers look alright at a glance. I think in the original post, med school debt wasn't calculated in as a year by year loan, but rather the total average loan Dartmouth MD -only students graduated with.

Also your numbers did not include opportunity cost of years lost wages from the extra years in the mba program. After factoring in those numbers our bottom lines are much closer.

I would have to go back and dig through. It was awhile ago -- and a really long post ;)

Last edited:
Opportunity cost for years lost wages probably will end up similar

Overall monies paid because of the per year vs total average loan is probably different.

Opportunity cost for years lost wages probably will end up similar

Overall monies paid because of the per year vs total average loan is probably different.

Yep. So if we say there is 150k/yr oppC (not even factoring in any additional lost ROI from that income), our 5 yr MD/MBA is already 150k worse off than the 4-yr MD-only grad (in a vacuum). The 6-yr MD/MBA comes out 300k worse off.

Like you allude to, the different methodology in determining the MD-based loans also can make a degree of difference.

No matter what, big numbers at play.

I have both degrees and I don't feel like going through the math. I can tell you that if this well-thought out plan includes using the MBA to open up networking opportunities that would secure another career that would normally require some experience (investment banking, consulting, hedge fund, private equity, venture capital), then the price is worth it.

If the "well thought out plan" is simply starting a private practice and running one's own business, then the MBA isn't worth it. Using the MBA hoping to gain some insight from the classes is also a waste of money because you can get similar experience from a few books.

Ultimately, it's hard to have this debate because you have put a numerical value of the costs to get an MBA, but you haven't done the same on the future income of Donald/Daffy. That would help you calculate your ROI (return on investment), making the decision easier to make.

I have both degrees and I don't feel like going through the math. I can tell you that if this well-thought out plan includes using the MBA to open up networking opportunities that would secure another career that would normally require some experience (investment banking, consulting, hedge fund, private equity, venture capital), then the price is worth it.

If the "well thought out plan" is simply starting a private practice and running one's own business, then the MBA isn't worth it. Using the MBA hoping to gain some insight from the classes is also a waste of money because you can get similar experience from a few books.

Ultimately, it's hard to have this debate because you have put a numerical value of the costs to get an MBA, but you haven't done the same on the future income of Donald/Daffy. That would help you calculate your ROI (return on investment), making the decision easier to make.

Agree with your overall message.

When it comes to certainty, for the majority of people, trying to predict future income (namely, income that is a direct result of pursuing additional degrees) is an exercise in futility...at least if one is aiming for any semblance of accuracy in their prediction.

I still think about getting one. But it would be under different circumstances...either residency subsidized, paid for largely in cash, or heavily discounted with aid. Motivation being largely for building a network, and a scratch for self-fulfillment and the credential/expanding my academics to the limit of business (spare a PhD).

That said, at present, those benefits haven't been worth the costs to me. Down the road, who knows.

I hope it has worked out favorable for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with your overall message.

When it comes to certainty, for the majority of people, trying to predict future income (namely, income that is a direct result of pursuing additional degrees) is an exercise in futility...at least if one is aiming for any semblance of accuracy in their prediction.

I still think about getting one. But it would be under different circumstances...either residency subsidized, paid for largely in cash, or heavily discounted with aid. Motivation being largely for building a network, and a scratch for self-fulfillment and the credential/expanding my academics to the limit of business (spare a PhD).

That said, at present, those benefits haven't been worth the costs to me. Down the road, who knows.

I hope it has worked out favorable for you.
Eh. It was a push. I would also go on to say that if you want to pursue another career, I would consider forgoing the MD unless the pursuit occurs AFTER training (school/residency/fellowship). If you move into another career before even completing residency, the MD loses value significantly since you can't really practice without doing residency. The MD then becomes the poor investment. If you complete training, the MD retains its value and should cover any risk you take going on Wall Street, private equity, etc.

Great post, Frazier.

If I can, I'd like to get your insight into a related scenario.

How would you calculate the "worthiness" of pursuing a 4 year dual degree program that only adds 10k in loans (in total, not annually) to a 62,xxx COA?

The way I see it, the opportunity cost for this program is less than that of the 5/6 year options. There is no loss of attending salary, the business material is gained without falling behind/forgetting a year of medical material and the extra $ in loans is not nearly as substantial.

That being said, this MBA degree would be from a state university, hardly a "top tier" or ranked institution (suppose in this case it's an ACBSP accredited institution) and the program may take some time away from committing to medical coursework (two courses per semester, each 1/2 semester in duration, but can be taken over the course of 2-8 years if need be.)

Is this program worth it's weight to a professional student?

Great post, Frazier.

If I can, I'd like to get your insight into a related scenario.

How would you calculate the "worthiness" of pursuing a 4 year dual degree program that only adds 10k in loans (in total, not annually) to a 62,xxx COA?

The way I see it, the opportunity cost for this program is less than that of the 5/6 year options. There is no loss of attending salary, the business material is gained without falling behind/forgetting a year of medical material and the extra $ in loans is not nearly as substantial.

That being said, this MBA degree would be from a state university, hardly a "top tier" or ranked institution (suppose in this case it's an ACBSP accredited institution) and the program may take some time away from committing to medical coursework (two courses per semester, each 1/2 semester in duration, but can be taken over the course of 2-8 years if need be.)

Is this program worth it's weight to a professional student?

When you ask "how would you calculate the worthiness of pursuing a 4 year dual degree...", I am not sure if you mean [literally] "how do I go about doing the math" or rather "what do you think in general?"

In regards to how to quantitatively calculate worth, one can very accurately project the overall cost with a loan calculator. While, on the other hand, the benefits are partly known and partly unknown...therein lies the dual-degree-rub.

In regards to the more qualitative "what do you think in general" question -- it depends on the reason for pursuing the MBA. For example, if the main reason is that you're hoping to catch some eyes at McKinsey with your degrees, it isn't worth it (even in light of costing only 10k). When it comes to your academic history, your main utility to consulting industry rests in your medical knowledge. Some folks get in that sector without a formal MBA, others get in with the help of networking they accomplished during their MBA curriculum. Most likely the folks at McKinsey are not going to be impressed by your MBA - tons of people have an MBA. There are tons of top10 B-school MBA holders. Also, the networking available to you at this program isn't going to get you on the express lane to consulting heaven. So, if consulting is your planned end game, instead of dropping the 10k on this school, you would be likely better off just self-studying and "investing" the 9-10k by not taking out those additional loans. Then either pursue consulting without the MBA, or go big and aim for admission to a top 10 program with perhaps some aid thrown your way. (This does not sound like the road you are looking to head down, given your mention of avoiding years lost of physician income).

On the other hand, if you just have a burning desire to get the additional degree for the sake of getting it...whether you just want the experience among the credentials on your CV or if you just like the way "Ogmora MD, MBA" looks and that's it... it might be worth it. Sure it might not be the most sound financial decision to drop 10k+interest in order to accomplish a lone goal as "touchy-feely" as outlined above. However, pick your poison...some people take up expensive hobbies. Others spend thousands traveling the world. Others give thousands away. Others spend thousands on drugs. Some people collect stamps. Perhaps you collect degrees. That said, none of these warrant your personal decision -- whatever that may be -- however, among the possibilities, at least the 10k for the degree is something that cannot be taken away from you and if you take pleasure in it (read: 10k worth of pleasure), it could very well be "worth it".

As I alluded to earlier in the thread, I am one of those people that was very interested in pursuing an MBA, for a multitude of reasons. Nevertheless, I am extremely happy I did not cave in summer before MS1 and enroll. That is just me. The MBA programs I was eyeing would not have been 10k --that is quite cheap in comparison... and I might have been very well pursuing one right now if that was the case.

As you recognized. I would never recommend a 5-6 year MD/MBA program to the typical student. By avoiding it, congrats, you just saved your future Attending-self 300k+. It is outrageous.

10k, spread out over the 4 years of MD track. Not outrageous.

When you ask "how would you calculate the worthiness of pursuing a 4 year dual degree...", I am not sure if you mean [literally] "how do I go about doing the math" or rather "what do you think in general?"

In regards to how to quantitatively calculate worth, one can very accurately project the overall cost with a loan calculator. While, on the other hand, the benefits are partly known and partly unknown...therein lies the dual-degree-rub.

In regards to the more qualitative "what do you think in general" question -- it depends on the reason for pursuing the MBA. For example, if the main reason is that you're hoping to catch some eyes at McKinsey with your degrees, it isn't worth it (even in light of costing only 10k). When it comes to your academic history, your main utility to consulting industry rests in your medical knowledge. Some folks get in that sector without a formal MBA, others get in with the help of networking they accomplished during their MBA curriculum. Most likely the folks at McKinsey are not going to be impressed by your MBA - tons of people have an MBA. There are tons of top10 B-school MBA holders. Also, the networking available to you at this program isn't going to get you on the express lane to consulting heaven. So, if consulting is your planned end game, instead of dropping the 10k on this school, you would be likely better off just self-studying and "investing" the 9-10k by not taking out those additional loans. Then either pursue consulting without the MBA, or go big and aim for admission to a top 10 program with perhaps some aid thrown your way. (This does not sound like the road you are looking to head down, given your mention of avoiding years lost of physician income).

On the other hand, if you just have a burning desire to get the additional degree for the sake of getting it...whether you just want the experience among the credentials on your CV or if you just like the way "Ogmora MD, MBA" looks and that's it... it might be worth it. Sure it might not be the most sound financial decision to drop 10k+interest in order to accomplish a lone goal as "touchy-feely" as outlined above. However, pick your poison...some people take up expensive hobbies. Others spend thousands traveling the world. Others give thousands away. Others spend thousands on drugs. Some people collect stamps. Perhaps you collect degrees. That said, none of these warrant your personal decision -- whatever that may be -- however, among the possibilities, at least the 10k for the degree is something that cannot be taken away from you and if you take pleasure in it (read: 10k worth of pleasure), it could very well be "worth it".

As I alluded to earlier in the thread, I am one of those people that was very interested in pursuing an MBA, for a multitude of reasons. Nevertheless, I am extremely happy I did not cave in summer before MS1 and enroll. That is just me. The MBA programs I was eyeing would not have been 10k --that is quite cheap in comparison... and I might have been very well pursuing one right now if that was the case.

As you recognized. I would never recommend a 5-6 year MD/MBA program to the typical student. By avoiding it, congrats, you just saved your future Attending-self 300k+. It is outrageous.

10k, spread out over the 4 years of MD track. Not outrageous.

Thank you for the insight.

(Contrary to what others may think, I enjoy your style of writing.)

After sleeping on it, I can give you a little more concrete insight into what my own personal decision would be:

A couple years ago, when I was considering the MD/MBA route for the first time... I envisioned myself working as a consultant at one of the Big 3 firms. At the time, I had broad ideas of what that career entailed and the necessary steps to help get me there. My personal belief, at the time, was that pedigree was the way to go to most increase my odds (for most "wow", most extensive networking opps, and most connections to heavy hitters).

Hint: The goal was to get into a top 20 med school and a top 10 b-school.

Time proceeded and the med school part of the equation actualized... but, the MBA apps that were sitting on my desk at the time were stored in a circular filing cabinet.

Today, I don't see myself working as a high profile consultant at McKinsey et al. anymore. After learning more and more about it over the years, the lifestyle does not sound conducive to my happiness. Also, my natural personality is the opposite of what the quintessential big time consultant is like (i.e. I am much more introverted than extroverted)...and while I can "fake it" and schmooze with the best of them -- internally, it is terribly exhausting. I came to the realization that I could not imagine going down a career path that would require me to "fake it" day in and day out in order to climb up the ranks and be successful.

Crossed off the list.

All that laid out, I still have an entrepreneurial spirit, still like business operations, still like marketing, still like finance, and still like building something out of nothing.

To quote myself from earlier in the thread in regards to my current motivations for an MBA:

Motivation being largely for building a network, a scratch for self-fulfillment, and the credential/expanding my academics to the limit of business (spare a PhD).

I don't need an MBA from a Top 10 school to satisfy those motivations. So, if I suddenly was placed into your situation, assuming that the MBA was from a real US university b-school -- for only 10k, I would likely jump on it.

If I had to intellectualize and rationalize the decision to myself, I'd look at it as an expensive hobby (~$215 per month throughout med school) that offered me enjoyment, an MBA credential, and an academic escape from the pure science science science curriculum inherent to medical education... and not expect anything more to come from it. If something extra did arise from it: great!

In regards to repayment, in my specialty of current interest (psychiatry) it isn't uncommon for residents to be able to hustle and moonlight during their available hours to the tune of an extra $20-30K per year in income. As a resident, I would make special effort to moonlight a little bit more than perhaps I comfortably would in order to pay off the MBA-affiliated loan amount in it's entirety ASAP and just be squared away and done with it.

So if you wanted my answer, I (given my own unique goals and motivations) would have done it.

Good luck with charting your own path.

Last edited:
After sleeping on it, I can give you a little more concrete insight into what my own personal decision would be:

A couple years ago, when I was considering the MD/MBA route for the first time... I envisioned myself working as a consultant at one of the Big 3 firms. At the time, I had broad ideas of what that career entailed and the necessary steps to help get me there. My personal belief, at the time, was that pedigree was the way to go to most increase my odds (for most "wow", most extensive networking opps, and most connections to heavy hitters).

Time proceeded and the med school part of the equation actualized... but, the MBA apps that were sitting on my desk at the time were stored in a circular filing cabinet.

Today, I don't see myself working as a high profile consultant at McKinsey et al. anymore. After learning more and more about it over the years, the lifestyle does not sound conducive to my happiness. Also, my natural personality is the opposite of what the quintessential big time consultant is like (i.e. I am much more introverted than extroverted)...and while I can "fake it" and schmooze with the best of them -- internally, it is terribly exhausting. I came to the realization that I could not imagine going down a career path that would require me to "fake it" day in and day out in order to climb up the ranks and be successful.

Crossed off the list.

All that laid out, I still have an entrepreneurial spirit, still like business operations, still like marketing, still like finance, and still like building something out of nothing.

To quote myself from earlier in the thread in regards to my current motivations for an MBA:

I don't need an MBA from a Top 10 school to satisfy those motivations. So, if I suddenly was placed into your situation, assuming that the MBA was from a real US university b-school -- for only 10k, I would likely jump on it.

If I had to intellectualize and rationalize the decision to myself, I'd look at it as an expensive hobby (~$215 per month throughout med school) that offered me enjoyment, an MBA credential, and an academic escape from the pure science science science curriculum inherent to medical education... and not expect anything more to come from it. If something extra did arise from it: great!

In regards to repayment, in my specialty of current interest (psychiatry) it isn't uncommon for residents to be able to hustle and moonlight during their available hours to the tune of an extra $20-30K per year in income. As a resident, I would make special effort to moonlight a little bit more than perhaps I comfortably would in order to pay off the MBA-affiliated loan amount in it's entirety ASAP and just be squared away and done with it.

So if you wanted my answer, I (given my own unique goals and motivations) would have done it.

I agree here. I also think an MBA from a top-10 school can not only open doors to consulting, but also to Wall Street and certain roles within pharma (business development, strategy). However, what most don't realize is that if you pursue those careers without completing at least a residency, the MD loses value especially if those alternate careers do not work out for you. I guess you can get an MBA from a state school to satisfy your needs for entrepreneurial spirit, etc, but I believe you can satisfy those motivations without spending the extra $10K. My $0.02

I guess you can get an MBA from a state school to satisfy your needs for entrepreneurial spirit, etc, but I believe you can satisfy those motivations without spending the extra $10K. My $0.02

Quoting for re-emphasis. Solid point worth noting.

I agree with that sentiment. Especially in my situation, coming into medical school as an Econ major, I imagine it would be relatively easy to satisfy my entrepreneurial, etc. spirit without spending the extra 10k.

That being said, an opinion I've seen floating around recently is based on the idea that the ACA will bring unpredictable changes to the healthcare market which may (or may not) disrupt both primary care and specialized physician income. It's not that I am assuming it will and it's not that I'm entirely for or against the changes, it's just the mystery of the matter that seems to scare me and the others who share this perspective.

So, with the possibility that the healthcare changes may not be able to support the medical student loan debt, I can't help but ask a few questions:

Will pursuing an MBA (vs. an MHA or an MPH) expand job prospects into administrative or executive fields?

Would the degree help increase the earning potential for non-administrative, practicing physicians?

Is getting the extra degree a suitable countermeasure (assuming it is a relatively cheap degree) to preempt any kind un/foreseeable change to the healthcare market?

And finally, does the degree itself have any inherent benefits that the self-learned material cannot make up for? (i.e. assuming everything else is equal, would the MD/MBA be preferred over an equally competent but self-educated MD?)

I agree with that sentiment. Especially in my situation, coming into medical school as an Econ major, I imagine it would be relatively easy to satisfy my entrepreneurial, etc. spirit without spending the extra 10k.

That being said, an opinion I've seen floating around recently is based on the idea that the ACA will bring unpredictable changes to the healthcare market which may (or may not) disrupt both primary care and specialized physician income. It's not that I am assuming it will and it's not that I'm entirely for or against the changes, it's just the mystery of the matter that seems to scare me and the others who share this perspective.

So, with the possibility that the healthcare changes may not be able to support the medical student loan debt, I can't help but ask a few questions:

Will pursuing an MBA (vs. an MHA or an MPH) expand job prospects into administrative or executive fields?

Would the degree help increase the earning potential for non-administrative, practicing physicians?

Is getting the extra degree a suitable countermeasure (assuming it is a relatively cheap degree) to preempt any kind un/foreseeable change to the healthcare market?

And finally, does the degree itself have any inherent benefits that the self-learned material cannot make up for? (i.e. assuming everything else is equal, would the MD/MBA be preferred over an equally competent but self-educated MD?)
1) I think the MBA can expand job prospects into administrative fields. I do not think it is anymore helpful than MHA or MPH for this purpose though.
2) An MBA will NOT increase earning potential if you just practice. I have an MBA and am not expecting it to increase my earning potential. However, I think I have enough business savvy to negotiate private practice contracts. I am no longer naive, but I think this is more due to my alternative career that I was able to pursue because I had the MBA from the top-10 school.
3) I'm not sure. I think this change is speculative right now. Also, I think any answer to this is directly related to my answer to your first question.

Deleted.

Last edited:
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Some people say business degrees aren't useful for going into business, since people can learn a lot of things on their own. But does that not apply in this case?

Yes, you could probably find books that teach content offered in an MBA program. Nevertheless, there's inherent benefits to being taught the material and having case discussions with professors who either currently consult or used to be big names in the field.

Networking is also a big part of the MBA degree. You meet people in your program (and the surrounding programs, FEMBA, EMBA) that you otherwise might never rub shoulders with. Never know when it might be useful to make a call to one of those bschool buddies down the road.

Is it worth the cost? Using my econ professor's favorite answer: It depends.

Crossed off the list.

So you went to medical school with the intent of going into consulting? Why? What did you want to do at McKinsey &co?

So you went to medical school with the intent of going into consulting? Why? What did you want to do at McKinsey &co?

No...but I guess I can see how the post you quoted could insinuate that.

I originally went to med school to become a psychiatrist (or something oncology). Along the long and convoluted road of premed, there were flares of occasional interest in other professions in which I would be able to utilize the knowledge and experiences from my medical training within other sectors (read: if I chose to leave traditional medical practice).

Business was an early interest for me (undergrad major), so it was one of those flares of "hey, being able to get the best of both worlds -- medicine and business -- in one career (ie via consulting) would be cool." Hell, once I was the moderator for this very MD/MBA forum on this website.

Nevertheless, as time (and this thread) unfolded, you can see the trend was ultimately against it.

This thread was created by me about 2 years ago; gets bumped back up maybe every 6 months. Interesting to see how things change (and stay the same) with time.

Last edited:
No...but I guess I can see how the post you quoted could insinuate that.

I originally went to med school to become a psychiatrist (or something oncology). Along the long and convoluted road of premed, there were flares of occasional interest in other professions in which I would be able to utilize the knowledge and experiences from my medical training within other sectors (read: if I chose to leave traditional medical practice).

Business was an early interest for me (undergrad major), so it was one of those flares of "hey, being able to get the best of both worlds -- medicine and business -- in one career (ie via consulting) would be cool." Hell, once I was the moderator for this very MD/MBA forum on this website.

Nevertheless, as time (and this thread) unfolded, you can see the trend was ultimately against it.

This thread was created by me about 2 years ago; gets bumped back up maybe every 6 months. Interesting to see how things change (and stay the same) with time.

What are your current plans?

What are your current plans?

For better or worse, I find a few different fields pretty cool.

My original interest in attending med school was for psych. Then I got really interested in rads during anatomy (as exploring all the imaging while working with a cadaver was pretty awesome). I eventually happened into a RadOnc research project, which has been interesting -- but my interest in the field has dwindled after my exposure (the technology is very cool though -- and the salaries, boy).

After those brief stints, I returned to my original interest, where I'm at now: psych.

If one is to say there is small (but real) risk of encroachment in general psych, that risk is essentially zero when it comes to child and adolescent psych...which is traditionally a 2-year fellowship after general psych residency.

Fortunately, my home institution is 1 of only ~8 "integrated" residencies which would essentially permit dual certification in adult + child/adolescent in only 5 years total (basically, save a year=$$$).

Besides my interests in the intrinsic nature of the field and kind of growing up around it, I like the potential practice model. Extremely low start-up. Extremely low overhead. Extremely undeserved (sans NYC/LA/SF/etc). One of only fields in medicine where all cash practice is feasible = no stressing medicare/gov cuts. If I suck, patients don't like me, PCP's/therapists don't refer to me: I get what I'm worth (prob better off getting employed gig). If I turn out good, patients like me, PCP's/therapists are sending ton of potential business: set those rates for what the market will bear. If I get burnt out and just want to cut way back, no worries, no big pieces of equipment to worry about.

In regards to the ideal/ultimate goal: my "end goal" is to incrementally building up to the point of establishing a full-fledge mental health facility in my home state (read: no competition there). Therapists, social workers, the whole deal. One of my parents is in private practice in mental health sector, well-established in that arena. My SO is in social work and has connections to classmates/alumni from her graduate program that demonstrated potential interest down the line. Additionally, her alma mater requires all of the grad students to get ~6 months experience on the job as "internship" for graduation. My SO had to do it, either unpaid or just a gas stipend. Could be a potential way to get assembly line of 6-months of service for simple tasks/duties, then if looking to hire - recruit what would be an already somewhat seasoned (6-month internship) entry-level employee. Build up to the point where I can either: A) work as an admin+psych, B) hire another psych and go full-time admin, C) hire another psych and a full-time admin, take a pay cut, and see what it brings in on it's own.

Yeah, that was basically a brain dump at 1AM. Things can certainly change.

It's an apropos thread to lay it out there though, as I alluded to earlier -- business interests me; it was my major in undergrad. I was extremely close to going the route of MD/MBA...but for reasons I alluded to in earlier posts, decided against it. Plus, for something like I outlined above -- MBA isn't necessary.

All that said, fast forward, and I'll end up working at a VA for 40 hours a week. lol. That's okay too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Last edited: