At the risk of sounding like a gunner... advice for an M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squamous Eddie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just started M1 about 1.5 months ago, and so far have been doing pretty well, getting honors on all my exams so far. I don't foresee my classes getting too much harder than right now, at least until M2, so I was wondering what else I could be doing to bolster my application.

I was thinking I'd like to get involved with research in derm, as my school has a program, and the PD among a few other professors have labs that might be taking in students. From what I've read, it seems like it's too early to be thinking about that, and that I should save it for summer after M1 instead. But my school actually pretty much requires that you do a research project during that time, anyway, so if we're going to be looking into research mentors soon, so I figured I'd get a head start on a derm project. With that said, is it too early to start sending out emails inquiring about labs to join?

On another note, how important really are extracurriculars? Some of my classmates have already joined as some organizing member of whatever interest group, are thinking of running for class office, or are volunteering for trips to go to underserved countries, but is it okay if I just want to focus on my studies instead? Do I have to be involved in things like it was for med school admissions? I almost feel like it's looked down on to say you're not interested in doing extracurricular stuff...

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Its good to get involved with the department so they are familiar with your face. Get involved with research but don't spend so much time that it affects your grades.

Grades are paramount. You must strive to do the best that you can do. Give it your best but not let the rest of your life fall apart (i've seen it happen).

Over summer, yeah do a research thing wit the department.

Every now and then, shadow the docs in the clinic so you can appreciate a skin exam. Do it for all the pt you run into when you examine them throughout med school.

Extracurriculars aren't SUPER important but they can help with networking.

Missionary trips CAN be useful in that you could see some cool skin stuff and give you stuff to talk about in your interviews. There are derm missionary trips in particular that could be good networking opportunities.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

I just started M1 about 1.5 months ago, and so far have been doing pretty well, getting honors on all my exams so far. I don't foresee my classes getting too much harder than right now, at least until M2, so I was wondering what else I could be doing to bolster my application.

I was thinking I'd like to get involved with research in derm, as my school has a program, and the PD among a few other professors have labs that might be taking in students. From what I've read, it seems like it's too early to be thinking about that, and that I should save it for summer after M1 instead. But my school actually pretty much requires that you do a research project during that time, anyway, so if we're going to be looking into research mentors soon, so I figured I'd get a head start on a derm project. With that said, is it too early to start sending out emails inquiring about labs to join?

On another note, how important really are extracurriculars? Some of my classmates have already joined as some organizing member of whatever interest group, are thinking of running for class office, or are volunteering for trips to go to underserved countries, but is it okay if I just want to focus on my studies instead? Do I have to be involved in things like it was for med school admissions? I almost feel like it's looked down on to say you're not interested in doing extracurricular stuff...

Thanks for any advice!

MrBigglesworth nailed it. My advice is to usually wait until the summer of your MS1 year to pursue a project. If you are confident you can handle the workload, it wouldn't hurt to send out some feelers. However, the worst thing you can do is take on too much on your plate too quickly.

Too much of a time commitment for research and your grades suffer? Not good.

Too much of a time comment for research and you need to go back on your word to help out? Even worse. (This happened to numerous colleagues of mine. I spent most of MS2 in a derm lab, listening to lectures after working til 5PM in the lab because I missed being there in person, and spent most of my nights/weekends catching up on studying. It gets tiring very quickly)

Extracurriculars are not as important. As MrBigglesworth mentioned, the whole point of doing so is to network. Participating in the derm interest group helps if you can network with some of the faculty. Missionary trips (particularly if derm specific) help because they will give you something to talk about during interviews. Your studies come first and foremost. No extracurricular activity will override poor preclinical grades and a poor Step 1.

Reactions: 2 users
Learn to play an obscure instrument or sport so you can analogize it to dermatology in your application essays.