Away rotation question

Started by chrissyxf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chrissyxf

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I applied to 2 different institutions for July 6 rotation dates. In any case, I have not heard from either institution (acceptance or rejection). One school explicitly says that we would hear no later than 6 weeks prior to rotation start (that would have been Monday- the holiday) but they also said they wouldn't start scheduling until May 25 (the holiday) so I'm not sure if the 6 week rule applies for the first rotation block. I really wanted to get a LOR from an away prior to applications going out and this was my only chance.
My school will not allow me to drop a rotation at my school this "late" so I currently have no rotation for the month of July (bc if I got the away, I would want the option to take it).
I have 3 options. 1) Continue to wait and hope that I get one of these away rotations (I applied for a total of 6 at the 2 different places) and then scramble in the last 2 weeks for a rotation at my home institution (limited choices, won't be a sub-I or graded rotation), 2) Call the 2 institutions and express my interest and willingness to rotate in other sub-specialties- by doing this, I could hurry up the process of acceptance or rejection, or 3) wait until the bitter end and then do a "research" month. I have some research I could actually do.
Suggestions? Thanks!
 
My move would be some variation of #2 (getting in touch, expressing interest, and clarifying when you can expect to know)