B.S vs B.A degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

prettyslick

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am leaning towards getting a second bachelors degree. What's the difference between B.S and a B.A degree? Reason why I ask this: I am considered an "International Student". I can't just take classes on my own without declaring a major. I have to declare a formal degree as to what I am pursuing (even though my main purpose of getting a second bachelors would be to take extra science class to improve my overall and science uGPA). I already have a B.S degree in Biological Sciences. If I major in Chemistry (for example) for a second degree, would it matter if I pursue a B.S or B.A? I see that B.A degree has less requirements (which would be ideal for me because it will give me more flexibility to take classes that I want rather than trying to squeeze in all the required classes in 4 semesters for a B.S degree). I would appreciate someone's input on this matter as I was confused. Thanks.
 
I am leaning towards getting a second bachelors degree. What's the difference between B.S and a B.A degree? Reason why I ask this: I am considered an "International Student". I can't just take classes on my own without declaring a major. I have to declare a formal degree as to what I am pursuing (even though my main purpose of getting a second bachelors would be to take extra science class to improve my overall and science uGPA). I already have a B.S degree in Biological Sciences. If I major in Chemistry (for example) for a second degree, would it matter if I pursue a B.S or B.A? I see that B.A degree has less requirements (which would be ideal for me because it will give me more flexibility to take classes that I want rather than trying to squeeze in all the required classes in 4 semesters for a B.S degree). I would appreciate someone's input on this matter as I was confused. Thanks.

there's very little difference in the two degrees. they are equivalent. generally speaking, a B.S. in a science requires more math and more labs, and a B.A. requires more breadth and general education classes. this varies at each university.

if you already have a B.S. then you may need to take some additional general education classes to obtain a B.A. if the B.A. gives you additional flexibility, i would advise to do that instead.