Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
31yo resident physician here needing some advice. My father-in-law was a financial adviser for many years and is now retired, but is hesitant to give me too much advice. I've spoken with him many times, read my share of books and blogs post about the basics of financial planning, and feel like I'm pretty squared away with the foundation.
Married with 2 kids < 5 years old. Fortunately no debt from training and started residency 2 and a half years ago. Emergency fund is now well over 6-9 mos. of living expenses in savings and checking. Life insurance and (soon) disability insurance in place. Currently setting aside a small $ amount each pay check to my 403(b). No employer match. Currently in the lowest tax bracket I'll be in for a long time (if ever). Should I stop my contributions and start/contribute to a Roth before 2011 tax year ends? If so, with whom and what to invest in?
Simple questions I know, but any and all advice is appreciated. Hoping that anonymity will bring impartial and even brutally honest feedback.
Married with 2 kids < 5 years old. Fortunately no debt from training and started residency 2 and a half years ago. Emergency fund is now well over 6-9 mos. of living expenses in savings and checking. Life insurance and (soon) disability insurance in place. Currently setting aside a small $ amount each pay check to my 403(b). No employer match. Currently in the lowest tax bracket I'll be in for a long time (if ever). Should I stop my contributions and start/contribute to a Roth before 2011 tax year ends? If so, with whom and what to invest in?
Simple questions I know, but any and all advice is appreciated. Hoping that anonymity will bring impartial and even brutally honest feedback.