Technology Best desktop computer for under $400

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd just use it for watching lectures and doing UWorld questions. Are there any computer gurus who could point me in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

Why chain yourself to a desktop?

Look at the Acer Aspire One Netbook...~$300 at Costco, and portable, too.

Why chain yourself to a desktop?

Look at the Acer Aspire One Netbook...~$300 at Costco, and portable, too.

I already have a notebook computer. I just wanted to get your simple, basic desktop that's good quality.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with Blue Dog. Why? You could just get another netbook and put it on your desk! :laugh:

Sometimes having a nice big 23" screen to watch movies and stuff on is really nice. Desktops also won't overheat if you decide to run it overnight dloading big files. This is also an advantage if you want to use it as a server. They are also much easier to upgrade.

...Desktops also won't overheat if you decide to run it overnight dloading big files...
If this is happening then your laptop needs to be serviced. It most likely has a dustbunny trapped in its heat transfer manifold. You should be able to run a laptop 24/7 for downloads, until you experience physical part failure, with no problem. I left my old crudtop running for 3 1/2 months straight downloading large quantities of stuff with no overheating.

This is a major problem with end users and computers, people think of their computer systems like TV's when they should think of them as more like cars. Just like a car a computer, whether laptop or desktop, needs to be serviced ideally once a year with regular use, two at the most, and really try to stick to one if you are a power user (more than 4-5 hours a day of continuous use or if you have it with you at all time throughout the day at multiple locations). If you don't do this your computer will get ******ed and as a result you will get blue screens, random shutdowns, strange system errors, etc... If you can't do it and don't want to learn how take it to a reliable computer place (NOT BEST BUY) and have them do it. It shouldn't cost more than $50.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is happening then your laptop needs to be serviced. It most likely has a dustbunny trapped in its heat transfer manifold. You should be able to run a laptop 24/7 for downloads, until you experience physical part failure, with no problem. I left my old crudtop running for 3 1/2 months straight downloading large quantities of stuff with no overheating.

This is a major problem with end users and computers, people think of their computer systems like TV's when they should think of them as more like cars. Just like a car a computer, whether laptop or desktop, needs to be serviced ideally once a year with regular use, two at the most, and really try to stick to one if you are a power user (more than 4-5 hours a day of continuous use or if you have it with you at all time throughout the day at multiple locations). If you don't do this your computer will get ******ed and as a result you will get blue screens, random shutdowns, strange system errors, etc... If you can't do it and don't want to learn how take it to a reliable computer place (NOT BEST BUY) and have them do it. It shouldn't cost more than $50.

What I meant is, when you close the lid on your laptop overnight while dloading, the temp gets really high. A lot of a laptops heat loss occurs through the top surface (keyboard area), so if you close the lid overnight while dloading, the temp can get very high by morning. I personally dont have this problem because I have a thinkpad which runs extremely cool, but I know alot of comps tend to heat up rather quick.

You could, of course, leave the lid open...but in my experience this leads to a crapload of dirt/dust getting all over your screen and keyboard eventually.

What I meant is, when you close the lid on your laptop overnight while dloading, the temp gets really high. A lot of a laptops heat loss occurs through the top surface (keyboard area), so if you close the lid overnight while dloading, the temp can get very high by morning...
As far as I'm aware this isn't true, at least not in the last decade. I have had a number of laptops where the processor, chipset, and graphics subsystem were all either located on the underside of the motherboard, where the heat transfer through the keyboard would be insignificant, or in locations that were nowhere near the keyboard. Closing the lid on a laptop should have very little impact on its operating temperature, assuming the vents are not on the top deck of the laptop. I have seen very few laptops with such a design, and even then they were secondary vents, not primary.

Sometimes having a nice big 23" screen to watch movies and stuff on is really nice. Desktops also won't overheat if you decide to run it overnight dloading big files. This is also an advantage if you want to use it as a server. They are also much easier to upgrade.

The OP didn't say he wanted to do any of that. He specifically mentioned using it only for watching lectures and doing UWorld questions.

Build one yourself. It's gonna be fun and if it doesn't work, you only lost $400. If it does, you got yourself a much better value compared to Dell/HP for the same price.

jeeez you guys take your computer seriously..

jeeez you guys take your computer seriously..
I would imagine most of us that hang around here have an educational background and/or significant work history in IT, so yeah, we probably take it more seriously than the average end user.

Apologies to the OP, any hijacking was unintentional