Step I Beta Agonists and Renin

Started by Milotic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Milotic

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe I am missing something obvious because I cannot find any info online regarding this, nor have I come across the right Uworld questions regarding this relationship, but I was hoping someone could help me out.

We talk about Dobutamine and Isoproterenol having the Beta1/Beta2 agonist activities (Dobu having more of Beta1). First aid and other sources all talk about there being a decrease in peripheral resistance due to these drugs and that the increase in systolic BP is usually due to the Beta-1 activity from heart etc. First Aid (2016) on page 247 even says that there is unopposed Beta-2 activity on peripheral resistance.

Why doesn't any source mention Beta-1 agonism on JGA (increasing Renin --> increasing ATII --> Vasoconstriction) occurring and even possibly off setting/slightly balancing the Beta-2 vasodilating activity??

Is it just the case that this vasoconstriction activity of JGA (beta-1 agonism) doesn't really occur with these drugs or that it doesn't really turn on until there is DRASTIC hypotension?

Thanks!

TLDR Version: Shouldn't JGA Beta-1 agonism have some effect on the Peripheral resistance when given drugs with both Beta-1/Beta-2 agonism?
 
Thats a really good question.. I'm thinking maybe its b/c the JGA is not just controlled by B1 stimulation but also low Na+ in DCT and low pressure in the afferent arteriole. Also I think the main driver of CO is HR X BP and they don't really focus so much on the role of the JGA in the kidney b/c its secondary and theres lots of other things more directly related to influencing BP and heart rate.
 
Is there also a time aspect? Maybe since these drugs are typically used acutely there isn't time for raas to be activated and start to exert an effect.
 
Thats a really good question.. I'm thinking maybe its b/c the JGA is not just controlled by B1 stimulation but also low Na+ in DCT and low pressure in the afferent arteriole. Also I think the main driver of CO is HR X BP and they don't really focus so much on the role of the JGA in the kidney b/c its secondary and theres lots of other things more directly related to influencing BP and heart rate.

Yeah it just sucks when FA uses terms like "unopposed Beta-2" for isoproterenol when talking about peripheral resistance. Also, when I got into my usual rut of researching online for answers, it turns out the Beta-1 response on JGA is VERY strong.... which makes me even more confused.

Sometimes I wish I didn't think about these things when studying. Maybe if a question about nonselective Beta agonism comes up regarding BP, I'll forget the Beta-1 receptors in the JGA exist for that moment haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe I am missing something obvious because I cannot find any info online regarding this, nor have I come across the right Uworld questions regarding this relationship, but I was hoping someone could help me out.

We talk about Dobutamine and Isoproterenol having the Beta1/Beta2 agonist activities (Dobu having more of Beta1). First aid and other sources all talk about there being a decrease in peripheral resistance due to these drugs and that the increase in systolic BP is usually due to the Beta-1 activity from heart etc. First Aid (2016) on page 247 even says that there is unopposed Beta-2 activity on peripheral resistance.

Why doesn't any source mention Beta-1 agonism on JGA (increasing Renin --> increasing ATII --> Vasoconstriction) occurring and even possibly off setting/slightly balancing the Beta-2 vasodilating activity??

Is it just the case that this vasoconstriction activity of JGA (beta-1 agonism) doesn't really occur with these drugs or that it doesn't really turn on until there is DRASTIC hypotension?

Thanks!

TLDR Version: Shouldn't JGA Beta-1 agonism have some effect on the Peripheral resistance when given drugs with both Beta-1/Beta-2 agonism?
ß-adrenergic receptors are a little weird.

So while noreipnephrine/epinephrine are both neurotransmitters and hormones, norepi is more commonly seen as a neurotransmitter and epi is more commonly seen as a hormone. The interesting part is that ß-2 receptors are not innervated by the sympathetic nervous sytem. Essentially, you can only have ß-2 mediates effects (notably, vasodilation) with epinephrine hormonal release and not sympathetic system activation. The flip side is that since ß-1 receptors are directly innervated by the sympathetic nervous system, prolonged stimulation of ß-1 receptors (which would be necessary to sustain the RAAS) tends to only occur with SNS neural stimulation OR when you have a ridiculously high epi load for a reasonably long period of time (think pheo, not a bolus).

The other caveat of course is that RAAS activation takes time (enzymatic rxns) vs pure ß-2 agonism, which is a ligand-gated ion channel. For step 1 purposes, they like to pimp you on CV changes immediately after drug administration, which is several minutes before ß-1 mediated RAAS activation will have a noticeable effect.
 
Wow thanks so much! That definitely clears it up. I noticed that in Uworld, they even just tend to ignore the JGA actions when it comes to those "Drug X" compared to "pre-admin" stuff. They have made it pretty obvious when they do want us to think about the JGA actions, at least so far.