This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DTP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure if greek life associated community service will be taken seriously, especially if it's a requirement. Mainly because the only person who would be used as a contact is probably one of your fraternity brothers. And fraternities as a whole have a very bad image, particularly when it comes to dishonesty (*cough cough* test banks *cough cough*). Not to mention that ADCOM members went to college during a generation where fraternity life was much crazier, irresponsible, and dishonest than it is now so they might have a bad image of fraternities.

Good point about test banks! I didn't think about that -- we don't have a test bank but I see why adcoms may assume so. It's pretty lowkey, just a lot of community service with people you become friends with.

We work with several established community service sites in the city, but it's done through the fraternity with other members...so who can I use as a contact for all of the community service if I don't mention the frat? Would the president APO as my contact be more legit than just another brother?

Also, my thought process was that it's more legit since minimum service hours are required by the frat to remain a member bc it shows involvement and actually doing things rather than just "being a member"..so wouldn't it be better to mention? Or should I just say my # of service hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point about test banks! I didn't think about that -- we don't have a test bank but I see why adcoms may assume so. It's pretty lowkey, just a lot of community service with people you become friends with.

We work with several established community service sites in the city, but it's done through the fraternity with other members...so who can I use as a contact for all of the community service if I don't mention the frat? Would the president APO as my contact be more legit than just another brother?

Also, my thought process was that it's more legit since minimum service hours are required by the frat to remain a member bc it shows involvement and actually doing things rather than just "being a member"..so wouldn't it be better to mention? Or should I just say my # of service hours?

Having been part of a fraternity myself, several of the "requirements" would be waived if we didn't get around to doing it

Just keep a track of all your community services and try to focus on a few select ones for a long term contact. Anyone with the actual organization you’re donating your time towards works. They aren’t going to call these people. Ain’t nobody got time for that. They may google it though and make sure it exists. This way you get the contact points through the frat without listing the frat.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait I don't really get what these people are saying... I don't think there's anything wrong with listing the fraternity especially if it's a community service one. I wonder what @Goro thinks though.

Wait I don't really get what these people are saying... I don't think there's anything wrong with listing the fraternity especially if it's a community service one. I wonder what @Goro thinks though.

There is just one person commenting that way, a pre-med on SDN probation, take from that what you will.

I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with listing a fraternity on your application. @Tenk 's point should be taken seriously. Your volunteer hours should stand alone independent of the fraternity. Hopefully you find something that you enjoy getting involved in longitudinally. It defies logic that admissions committees are allergic to the word "fraternity" given the abundance of different experiences that people have.

Reactions: 6 users
There is just one person commenting that way, a pre-med on SDN probation, take from that what you will.

I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with listing a fraternity on your application. @Tenk 's point should be taken seriously. Your volunteer hours should stand alone independent of the fraternity. Hopefully you find something that you enjoy getting involved in longitudinally. It defies logic that admissions committees are allergic to the word "fraternity" given the abundance of different experiences that people have.
+1

Fraternities were never something I was a personal fan of, but there are plenty of people that enjoy them and had great experiences with them. This might even include people on the adcoms. Many of my favorite classmates were in fraternities in undergrad, and given their enthusiasm I can't imagine they didn't list their frat on their application. That being said definitely list volunteer experiences separately.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I gather, greek life is generally ignored on apps, but I'm in alpha phi omega, the co-ed national community service fraternity. Should I just present this as non-clinical community service if greek letters will be off-putting?

It has social parts, but it also has minimum community service requirements, all serving underprivileged parts of the city. The aspects of leadership/working with others is emphasized, but again, it is greek life..
Well, I have a very VERY jaundiced view of frats...but I'm just one guy, so I certainly don't speak for al Adcoms. My notion is that most frat members are too busy binge drinking, tormenting plebes, vomiting on their shoes and raping coeds.

Back to objectivity, I strongly recommend that you list the service you've engaged in. Don't expect Adcom members to know what alpha phi omega is.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't like social greek life either (I'm female, though..if that'll help them not see me as a typical frat boy, lol), hence my reluctance here. It's called a frat but it's co-ed & non-social.

Just to make sure, do you suggest I only list the service I've engaged in as an isolated thing? Or to name APO with a full explanation of the service events and fundraisers it revolves around, along with my service?

Or should I just say I'm in a service organization without listing it as a "frat"? (since, if anything, it's an org. No house, no hazing, no test bank. Kids party with each other if they have friends in it, but there aren't any "APO parties.") I also understand why ADCOMS have no reason to know this beforehand or assume it, so maybe org would be smarter?

Wait wait wait, with APO you wouldn't really have anything to worry about as long as you explain what the fraternity is for. The fact that you're a female in a fraternity already gives off a signal that this is not your run-of-the-mill fratboy organization. Even if you were in an actual greek sorority, it wouldn't really matter because sororities are more productive and better run than fraternities IMHO.

I don't like social greek life either (I'm female, though..if that'll help them not see me as a typical frat boy, lol), hence my reluctance here. It's called a frat but it's co-ed & non-social.

Just to make sure, do you suggest I only list the service I've engaged in as an isolated thing? Or to name APO with a full explanation of the service events and fundraisers it revolves around, along with my service?

Or should I just say I'm in a service organization without listing it as a "frat"? (since, if anything, it's an org. No house, no hazing, no test bank. Kids party with each other if they have friends in it, but there aren't any "APO parties.") I also understand why ADCOMS have no reason to know this beforehand or assume it, so maybe org would be smarter?
Perhaps say APO service fraternity, and then list activities.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I have a very VERY jaundiced view of frats...but I'm just one guy, so I certainly don't speak for al Adcoms. My notion is that most frat members are too busy binge drinking, tormenting plebes, vomiting on their shoes and raping coeds.

Back to objectivity, I strongly recommend that you list the service you've engaged in. Don't expect Adcom members to know what alpha phi omega is.
I'm curious what you would think about professional (not traditional) frats? I'm part of a co-ed international medical fraternity, whose mission statement is to "create physicians of integrity with a lifelong commitment to our guiding principles of philanthropy, deity, and education through fellowship, service, mentoring, and formal training in leadership, science, and ethics." I'm freaking out reading the above comments...

As someone who is in a fraternity I can confirm that around half of the members fit your description. Now there are a lot of people in it that actually do try in school and give back to the community, but the **** heads which make up a good chunk of the group give fraternities a bad name. I am not listing my fraternity on my application due to the stigma that comes with it, but in OP's case I would list it because a service fraternity isn't really "greek" per say, and they typically focus 90% of their efforts on good causes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious what you would think about professional (not traditional) frats? I'm part of a co-ed international medical fraternity, whose mission statement is to "create physicians of integrity with a lifelong commitment to our guiding principles of philanthropy, deity, and education through fellowship, service, mentoring, and formal training in leadership, science, and ethics." I'm freaking out reading the above comments...
These are completely different than traditional fraternities. "Real" fraternities are associated with the university's IFC, professional fraternities are not. ADCOMs might not know the difference so you will have to clarify.

Not familiar with them, unless You're talking about Kiwanis, Rotary, Elks, etc. Those are fine.

Just put down the specific volunteering activities you participated in. You don't have to mention they were through your frat.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

See it's that steretype you are fighting when you mention fraternity involvement. I had a large portion of my ecs as fraternity involvement and could tell it was frowned on at some interviews.

You just need to show what you did and why it' important.

For example, I talked about historical renovations that I coordinated. My involvement with the city in gaining approval. My philanthropy events I hosted and the fundraier I started which had raised almost two million dollars

See it's that steretype you are fighting when you mention fraternity involvement. I had a large portion of my ecs as fraternity involvement and could tell it was frowned on at some interviews.

You just need to show what you did and why it' important.

For example, I talked about historical renovations that I coordinated. My involvement with the city in gaining approval. My philanthropy events I hosted and the fundraier I started which had raised almost two million dollars
Sadly, it's a stereotype that many not only fail to live down, but actually live up to.

So should one try to limit inclusion of their sorority/fraternity activities as much as possible? Not service related but I have extensive leadership within my sorority. I was also on our conduct review board, which I was going to include as a separate activity because it highlights being an unbiased decision maker. would it be wise to limit my sorority involvement to only one activity, choosing the exec leadership over the conduct board?

So should one try to limit inclusion of their sorority/fraternity activities as much as possible? Not service related but I have extensive leadership within my sorority. I was also on our conduct review board, which I was going to include as a separate activity because it highlights being an unbiased decision maker. would it be wise to limit my sorority involvement to only one activity, choosing the exec leadership over the conduct board?
Just me, I prefer people to get off campus and out of their comfort zones. Doing stuff for people less fortunate than you will garner far more interest from Adcoms than you for your sorority. Medicine is, after all, a service profession.

I had three activitis as fraternity leadership. Including vice president of health and safety, academic chair and philanthropy chair.

I think it's important as long as you show you made a difference. Also I had a lot of interviewers say that I had excellent leadership ecs due to this.

As someone alluded to above, I understand (female) "Sororities" aren't viewed in the same light as (male) "Fraternities", although I believe all the Greek organizations are referred to as "Fraternities" in a generic sense? Since you're in one, you obviously know the time commitment and the fact that it has been a big part of your undergraduate life so it seems including any leadership, scholarships, awards, volunteer hours, etc. can be important.

Hi!! I am currently starting my undergrad and decided to join a sorority because their philanthropy was St. Jude (I know, I am a horrible person) but I am not exactly LOVING it like everyone else and feel a little out of place. I was just looking for some advice on if I should keep with it for med school applications? Thanks in advance!

Hi!! I am currently starting my undergrad and decided to join a sorority because their philanthropy was St. Jude (I know, I am a horrible person) but I am not exactly LOVING it like everyone else and feel a little out of place. I was just looking for some advice on if I should keep with it for med school applications? Thanks in advance!

Being in a sorority will not be the thing that gets you into medical school. I love my sorority's philanthropy, too, but I imagine it will look a million times better if you find ways to benefit St. Jude's (or something else) directly rather than in a capacity where it's expected and might be viewed as if you're less passionate about it. I don't think you should stay in a sorority which costs lots of $$ and time just because you want to include it on your med school app. Spend the time planning a St Jude's charity event or start one of those st jude's chapters at your school if they dont have one.

Edit: Also, though, I thought I'd add that it's still very early in the school year. There are probably lots of girls in your pledge class who feel kind of out of place and like they'll never find friends. If you're only in the sorority for the resume building, drop, but if you're hopeful to build real relationships, networking with women across the country, and leadership opportunities, then stick it out for a couple more weeks at least. It will get better.

Being in a sorority will not be the thing that gets you into medical school. I love my sorority's philanthropy, too, but I imagine it will look a million times better if you find ways to benefit St. Jude's (or something else) directly rather than in a capacity where it's expected and might be viewed as if you're less passionate about it. I don't think you should stay in a sorority which costs lots of $$ and time just because you want to include it on your med school app. Spend the time planning a St Jude's charity event or start one of those st jude's chapters at your school if they dont have one.

Edit: Also, though, I thought I'd add that it's still very early in the school year. There are probably lots of girls in your pledge class who feel kind of out of place and like they'll never find friends. If you're only in the sorority for the resume building, drop, but if you're hopeful to build real relationships, networking with women across the country, and leadership opportunities, then stick it out for a couple more weeks at least. It will get better.
Thank you so much!!! I am gonna stick it out for a few more weeks and see how it goes!!

The big issue with Greek life is that those more than a few years out of college view it, either consciously or subconsciously, as childish. Even many of those that used to be in the Greek community. I tend to roll my eyes when I see resumes from 22 year olds we’re hiring for admin/clerical positions filled with Greek letters and descriptions of organizing social events, managing house life, and use of other adult terms including finance and government in seemingly childlike pretend scenarios with the common pretense that they involve rich children behaving immorally in an evironment that protects them from consequences. That’s all you’ve done in your life? No, don’t put that on your resume.

List your volunteer experiences without mentioning the organization by name so as to avoid confusion.

Reactions: 5 users
Do what you love and love what you do. That's what we're looking for.

If you’ve got a decent amount of stuff outside the fraternity, then I really don’t think service through the fraternity would be ignored.

APO isnt even a real frat