Binocular vision and NS

Started by mendel121
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mendel121

Just hoping to match
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm just an M1, but I'm surveying the areas of medicine that are interesting to me. When looking into Opthy, I found out that good binocular vision is important due to the need to make fine depth distinctions. It seems to me that this may be a concern in NS as well. Is this true?

I had strabismus (wandering eye) corrected as a child but still do not have the greatest binocular vision when I get tired, and as I've found out, this can be an issue in some fields.

Thanks in advance for any input.
 
I would think that most any surgical specialty will require good binocular vision. A binocular microscope is used for much of the most critical portions of many neurosurgical procedures. Trying to do this with monocular vision would be pretty much impossible.
 
mpp said:
I would think that most any surgical specialty will require good binocular vision. A binocular microscope is used for much of the most critical portions of many neurosurgical procedures. Trying to do this with monocular vision would be pretty much impossible.

Thanks, mpp, an answer I sort of knew, but wanted to have more input on.

I'm wondering if others have had any experience heard stories about this - It was brought to my attention by an ophthalmologist telling me a story about a resident that she had heard about, but they didn't notice a problem with the resident's binocular vision until after he started the program. She thinks he was able to resolve it but wasn't sure how. Just a shot in the dark, anybody ever heard about such problems?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard of a well-known neurosurgeon who lost one eye and still practices. I don't remember his name, but I suppose there's hope. Apparently vision depth isn't too much of a problem for him.
 
If you suddenly lost vision in one eye, this would be hard, but if you had monocular vision all of your life, you find ways to adjust.