Bio Question

Started by s13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

s13

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can somebody please explain to me the difference between Epinephrine and Norepinephrine?
 
I remember I use to have the same question myself. I can try answering it using my endocrinology book.

Epi acts primarily as a hormone while norepi serves mainly as a nuerotransmitter (but sometimes it does serve as a hormone).

Most of us have heard of the fight-or-flight response where stress causes us to release adrenaline(epinephrine). It also causes us to release norepinephrine. In humans, norepi and epi are released at a ratio of 1:4

Epi and norepi have similar physiological effects, but differ in several important respects. For instance, epi elevates heart rate and affects metabloilsm more than noreipi. In contrast, norepi is a more potent vasoconstricter than epi.

Hope it kinda helped
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad