Biochem Advice

Started by absvet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

absvet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping for some advice on which biochem class I should take. I am applying this cycle to Tufts, Penn and Cornell, my IS. I was planning on taking a 3-credit "General Biochemistry" class offered in the evening (which is pretty important to me because I work full-time). It is in the graduate school of arts and sciences, and the adcom at Tufts said it would be perfectly fine for them. Cornell says it wants four credits, BUT i found on their Pre-req policy sheet that they accept a 3 credit class as long as you have more than 6 credits of 0-chem (i will have like 10). The problem is, the university I am taking my post-bacc classes at does offer a 4-credit biochem class, it is just in the afternoon and would be much more difficult for me to schedule.

So, what would you advise? I know they SAY they accept 3 credits, but will they look down on it a lot if there is a 4 credit course offered? Has anyone been accepted to Cornell with 3 credits of biochem, or applied with 3 credits and been told that was a problem? Thanks!!
 
I think you should email Cornell with the course description and say how you read that they accept 3 credit classes on the pre-req sheet. Vet schools are used to having students ask about specific classes fulfilling requirements. I would not recommend you to tell them about the 4 credit class unless they veto the 3 credit one. I doubt they'll sift through the course offerings and ask you why you didn't take the 4 credit one if they okay the 3 credit or that it would keep you from being admitted. As long as you do well, that's what matters 🙂

Good luck!