Bipolar

Started by House25
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

House25

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I just joined this site. I was wondering if u know any bipolar doctors and if they handle the rigor of medicine well. I have a perfect GPA in community college and school comes pretty easy. I am applying to Yale and Stanford as well as Berkeley for undergrad transfer in bio.

I was also wondering about residency. Can I work a more regular schedule during residency where I am not as sleep-deprived because of the bipolar disability. If not, I'll deal with it but I was wondering if that is something the hospital can accomodate me for.

Please, if someone wants to make fun of me for being bipolar don't post because I have already received enough insults. Thanks and I hope people respond. Take care everyone!
 
Hi guys, I just joined this site. I was wondering if u know any bipolar doctors and if they handle the rigor of medicine well. I have a perfect GPA in community college and school comes pretty easy. I am applying to Yale and Stanford as well as Berkeley for undergrad transfer in bio.

I was also wondering about residency. Can I work a more regular schedule during residency where I am not as sleep-deprived because of the bipolar disability. If not, I'll deal with it but I was wondering if that is something the hospital can accomodate me for.

Please, if someone wants to make fun of me for being bipolar don't post because I have already received enough insults. Thanks and I hope people respond. Take care everyone!

Since this is largely a pre-med forum, I'm not sure you'd get much more than speculation here. I think it's a tough question and one that probably isn't easy to get a straight answer about even from residency program directors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, I assume since you are doing so well in school that your bipolar is probably well-controlled. This is key. People can and do go to med school with mental illnesses, but it's essential that you be compliant with your meds and have a strong support network. As for whether you can avoid being sleep-deprived during residency, I would go into this with the expectation that the hospitals probably would not accomodate you. That being said, you can pick a specialty and work environment that is more circadian rhythm-friendly, such as being a primary care provider in an outpatient office. However, even if you go into one of the primary care specialties, as a resident, you will still have to do some outside rotations in other specialties that will have much less forgiving schedules.

Ultimately, keeping yourself safe is more important than becoming a physician. If you know that being awake for up to 30 hours straight is likely to trigger a manic episode, you should seriously consider whether another career that will not sleep-deprive you might be a wiser path. Hope this helps, and best of luck. 🙂
 
Hi guys, I just joined this site. I was wondering if u know any bipolar doctors and if they handle the rigor of medicine well. I have a perfect GPA in community college and school comes pretty easy. I am applying to Yale and Stanford as well as Berkeley for undergrad transfer in bio.

I was also wondering about residency. Can I work a more regular schedule during residency where I am not as sleep-deprived because of the bipolar disability. If not, I'll deal with it but I was wondering if that is something the hospital can accomodate me for.

Please, if someone wants to make fun of me for being bipolar don't post because I have already received enough insults. Thanks and I hope people respond. Take care everyone!

Why don't you take one thing at a time? See how you do with your 4-year college work and then see how your do with your medical school work. You can't put the cart in front of the horse and consult a crystal ball. There is much between you and residency.

By the time you get to the residency point, there may be new drugs, different situations and a host of other things that may or may not work for you. All you can do is take one step at a time and do your best to keep on track with your career.

Unless you are a previous troll (we can get that one figured out quickly), no one at this website has made fun of you. A good start would be to worry about your own stuff and keep yourself on track.
 
Unless you are a previous troll (we can get that one figured out quickly), no one at this website has made fun of you.

Point of order:

He/she didn't state that anyone on this website had made fun of his condition. The poster most likely could have been referencing real life incidents.