Huggy

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
M1 here at a non-ranked P/F school scoring in the top ~10-15% of the class. Seriously considering stopping watching/attending lectures entirely and only using Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, Firecracker, and First Aid.

We just started biochemistry today, where we will now have around 4 hours of lecture every day, with PowerPoints containing no notes. There is a "notes exchange" available where students from previous years have outlined the lectures and passed them down to us, but I don't know how I feel about learning from another students' notes or wasting time on making my own.

Does anyone have experience doing this, or any other suggestions for an M1 interested in doing very well on boards.

Reactions: 2 users

BacktotheBasics

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What M1 isn't interested in doing very well on the boards? Your medical school curriculum is like a ship, don't jump go overboard until the ride is over. There's plenty of time during dedicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

imtheman25

2+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I utilized Board and Beyond for my lectures and I did just fine! My school has exams that are somewhat difficult but Dr. Ryan does a good job of covering the important information and highlighting the important concepts. No minutiae. God Bless!

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
D

deleted244469

Ditched my Physio lectures (professor is terrible) for B&B for our cardio block and got a “B” on the exam.

I’m going to continue to use B&B and am not looking back. It is a godsend.

Reactions: 3 users

Shams al Deen

7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So there's plenty of time during dedicated for UWorld, and some review of FA. There is not, however, plenty of time for Pathoma, BB, Sketchy AND UWorld during dedicated. Thus, you must gain all you can from those non-UWorld sources during your first 2 years (before dedicated). Most of it can be gained during MS-2. The only things I would say benefit an MS-1 would be Sketchy and BB videos in relevant topics.

That said, don't stop watching class lectures now, it's way too early for that. Watch BB to supplement but not to replace your class materials.

Reactions: 6 users

BacktotheBasics

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What M1 isn't interested in doing very well on the boards? Your medical school curriculum is like a ship, jump go overboard until the ride is over. There's plenty of time during dedicated.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
M1 here at a non-ranked P/F school scoring in the top ~10-15% of the class. Seriously considering stopping watching/attending lectures entirely and only using Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, Firecracker, and First Aid.

We just started biochemistry today, where we will now have around 4 hours of lecture every day, with PowerPoints containing no notes. There is a "notes exchange" available where students from previous years have outlined the lectures and passed them down to us, but I don't know how I feel about learning from another students' notes or wasting time on making my own.

Does anyone have experience doing this, or any other suggestions for an M1 interested in doing very well on boards.
How are you doing in your classes? I'm generally a believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy of teaching.

One of the problems I see posted multiple times in this forum is that MD faculty in particular like testing in minutiae, or on their own research.

So tread carefully!

What on earth is on slides with no notes? Videos? Mere pathways??? I've had Pathology colleagues who gave nothing but slide images of gross and and histo sections, but am curious as to what you're dealing with.

D

deleted244469

So there's plenty of time during dedicated for UWorld, and some review of FA. There is not, however, plenty of time for Pathoma, BB, Sketchy AND UWorld during dedicated. Thus, you must gain all you can from those non-UWorld sources during your first 2 years (before dedicated). Most of it can be gained during MS-2. The only things I would say benefit an MS-1 would be Sketchy and BB videos in relevant topics.

That said, don't stop watching class lectures now, it's way too early for that. Watch BB to supplement but not to replace your class materials.
I guess I should’ve clarified. I DO go through the ppts, but only for any other testable topics/material that I didn’t see on B&B (aka minutae concepts).

jcorpsmanMD

2+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2017
Republic of Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

How do you use First Aid? Legitimate question, sounds silly, I know. I've been trying to incorporate it into my studying, but it's just a book with a bunch of condensed facts, idk, am I missing something here lol

D

deleted244469

How do you use First Aid? Legitimate question, sounds silly, I know. I've been trying to incorporate it into my studying, but it's just a book with a bunch of condensed facts, idk, am I missing something here lol

B&B is literally a video version of First Aid. If you struggle reading textbooks, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. Each video even posts the relevant FA pages.

GodComplex

7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

You're right. FA isn't meant to teach for the most part, and instead is meant more as a review prior to Step 1. I benefited most from it in my preclinical years by using it as a jumping off point for what my school curriculum didn't cover in a particular block and then did some self-study on those topics when time permitted towards the end of that block. I feel that having at least seen 95% of things that were in FA before even starting dedicated prep time was a huge time saver as I wasn't learning new diseases for the first time.

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I finally switched away from studying based on my school's curriculum and instead just using FA as a syllabus to make sure I learn everything in its chapters for the organ systems my school says it's covering. It's funny, but their exam stick to FA-based topics more than not, and FA does a way better job of organizing it all. I use textbooks to learn the stuff in FA well enough to easily go through the chapter and Anki the whole thing.

Scrubs101

5+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Love B&B but I only supplement with it, don’t think I’d do nearly as well on one of our professor written exams if I didn’t spend most of my time on professor notes. However if I could just use outside sources (pathoma, B&B, sketchy, etc), I totally would.

About the Ads

HumbledHuman

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 30, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Does anyone know a rough estimate of how many hrs to complete B&B?

pbrocks15

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
113 hours, 4 minutes on 1x speed
I feel like it takes much more time than that especially if you're annotating and pausing here and there. I know that's the actual length but I'm curious to ask - do people just watch or do people actually pause and annotate? Still trying to figure out what's best myself.

imtheman25

2+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I feel like it takes much more time than that especially if you're annotating and pausing here and there. I know that's the actual length but I'm curious to ask - do people just watch or do people actually pause and annotate? Still trying to figure out what's best myself.
Everything 2x speed

pbrocks15

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Too time consuming. Fastest way to raise score is to selectively focus on weak areas and constantly hitting high yield resources.

Yep, pretty much. Debating B&B vs DIT during dedicated with strictly UW/FA/NBME.

Hm...I have been annotating a lot and perhaps that isn't necessary. I guess we'll see but not annotating would save a ton of time.

HumbledHuman

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 30, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hm...I have been annotating a lot and perhaps that isn't necessary. I guess we'll see but not annotating would save a ton of time.
It depends where you are on your studies. I'm reviewing for boards, so I just reference with First Aid and review my Anki deck. But if you are studying for classes, the approach is different.

pbrocks15

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It depends where you are on your studies. I'm reviewing for boards, so I just reference with First Aid and review my Anki deck. But if you are studying for classes, the approach is different.

I am using them to study for class during the specific block. Where do you make your Anki cards from?

HumbledHuman

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 30, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am using them to study for class during the specific block. Where do you make your Anki cards from?
Specific subdecks from bro's. No time to make cards. Most of the time they don't test you on low yield anyway. It's better to understand the material than just straight up memorize, so my approach is to use all my resources together on specific blocks and do questions to apply the concept before an exam. I had a battle plan for each subject - i.e. draw out pathophysiology, sketchy/fa for bugs and drugs, and as many questions as possible.

About the Ads

NotYou20

7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I completely stopped watching lecture videos at the start of M2 and I'm glad I did. I think its worth trying if you can accept that it might hurt your grades significantly and that you'll have a plan to fix it if that happens. If it works, you should be able to learn more efficiently than you would while watching lectures. For me, that benefit is worth the risk of doing poorly on the next test.

sab3156

7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am debating getting this resource. If it is simply a video version of FA as stated earlier in this thread... is it even worth it if I am already using Firecracker/FA? Is BB a medical school curriculum on its own? Could someone use it to home study along with Firecracker/FA/UWorld and crush the boards?

eatkalteenbars

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2013
Hoth
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am debating getting this resource. If it is simply a video version of FA as stated earlier in this thread... is it even worth it if I am already using Firecracker/FA? Is BB a medical school curriculum on its own? Could someone use it to home study along with Firecracker/FA/UWorld and crush the boards?

I can't say that I "crushed" the boards and I didn't use Firecracker but I will say that BnB is excellent for filling in the blanks of FA. Following along with BnB makes FA much more palatable. There are definitely some details that aren't in FA and are actually straight out of UW: there were some UW questions that I could answer only because of BnB (hadn't seen the info anywhere else.) First NBME I took a month out I got a 175. In the following month I did all of UW, watched all of BnB, and scored 60 points higher on the real thing. (I will say though that I am a chronic crammer and have a pretty strong short term memory.)

In terms of replacing class lectures with BnB, it really depends on your school. It might work for topics like biochem or physio, but if your professors are big on minutia it won't work. For instance, path at my school is annoyingly detailed and the profs love testing on random details from Robbins, so Pathoma alone wouldn't cut it. At my friend's school, Pathoma was all she needed to pass.

sab3156

7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I can't say that I "crushed" the boards and I didn't use Firecracker but I will say that BnB is excellent for filling in the blanks of FA. Following along with BnB makes FA much more palatable. There are definitely some details that aren't in FA and are actually straight out of UW: there were some UW questions that I could answer only because of BnB (hadn't seen the info anywhere else.) First NBME I took a month out I got a 175. In the following month I did all of UW, watched all of BnB, and scored 60 points higher on the real thing. (I will say though that I am a chronic crammer and have a pretty strong short term memory.)

In terms of replacing class lectures with BnB, it really depends on your school. It might work for topics like biochem or physio, but if your professors are big on minutia it won't work. For instance, path at my school is annoyingly detailed and the profs love testing on random details from Robbins, so Pathoma alone wouldn't cut it. At my friend's school, Pathoma was all she needed to pass.

Ah, so it's not simply a video version of FA? I was worried about that, because I already bought Firecracker which is basically a more comprehensive version of FA. Are there some things NOT in BB? Or is BB pretty comprehensive?

Mr. D.O.five

2+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ah, so it's not simply a video version of FA? I was worried about that, because I already bought Firecracker which is basically a more comprehensive version of FA. Are there some things NOT in BB? Or is BB pretty comprehensive?
I got B&B. If you already have FC, I don't think you would need B&B. I'd save the money and use it on pathoma next year.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
I have B&B, FC, and Pathoma. I would highly recommend getting both B&B and Pathoma.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
You don’t recommend FC?

Sorry mean to answer the statement made above about not getting B&B, but instead pathoma. You should definitely get both.

To answer your question, I also think FC is good and I recommend it. However, if you have Zanki or Uslmerx, you don't necessarily need FC.

jcorpsmanMD

2+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2017
Republic of Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Sorry mean to answer the statement made above about not getting B&B, but instead pathoma. You should definitely get both.

To answer your question, I also think FC is good and I recommend it. However, if you have Zanki or Uslmerx, you don't necessarily need FC.
Yeah going to NBME exams this next semester. Have First Aid 2018, Pathoma (provided by school), and was going to invest in B&B (using Zanki), I have given up on school lectures. Especially since our exams will be NBME now, was curious of your response. Thank you!

EDIT: Also paying for USMLErx for practice problems

Sep 9, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
did this (not with BB but that is not relevant, if your comfortable with BB than go for it) for several classes where my lecturer was ****. Saved me a lot of time and effort. So yes, i would go for it.

Huggy

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
did this (not with BB but that is not relevant, if your comfortable with BB than go for it) for several classes where my lecturer was ****. Saved me a lot of time and effort. So yes, i would go for it.
Yeah, since this thread was started a month and a half ago I have changed up my study habits since.

I do not use any school provided material. I use exclusively Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, Sketchy Micro/Pharm, and Firecracker. I use the topics in Firecracker to guide my learning and I ensure that I have every single topic marked and answered for whatever block we are on.

I truly don't see any valid argument in using school material over other more time-efficient, boards related resources.

pbrocks15

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
How do you guys all use BnB though? Do you guys annotate into FA or annotate/follow with the ppt slides?

Curious how everyone uses BnB.

Medin2017

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
:highfive:
I'm in the same boat.
yea currently just running through each section and taking notes, planning on reviewing sections as wholes (like all of neuro), and then zanki'ing the rest for active learning and spaced repetition. But with the neurology lectures being like 160*6 slides idk how I can learn it all before flash carding.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.