Step I Break Time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

prominence

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how many breaks do u get during USMLE Step 1? do u get an hr for lunch? also, besides lunch, when is a good time for taking ur break(s)? obviously u dont want to use up ur break(s) early and be dying for a break late, and vice versa.
 
Hi there,
You have the right for a break after each block you go through. If you skip the tutorial, your total break time is one hour. However, if you finish a block early, you can add this time to your total break time. I think that the best thing is to take 5 minute breaks until you are done with the first 3-4 blocks, so you can have something to eat in peace and quiet, and you can have a couple of bigger breaks before your last couple of blocks, when you will realy need it. I don't think that time is a problem in step1. I took it 2 weeks ago, and 60 minutes was enough to go through at least 2 times over each block. I had a lunch break of about 10 minutes, and before the last block, i had 40 minutes of break time left. I used only 30 of them, because I was so tired that I just wanted to finish with the damn thing and go home.
Hope it helps,
Theodore
 
theodore, thanks for the reply.

heres a few other quick questions for theodore or anyone else who has taken USMLE step I:

1. do u need to bring anything else to the test center besides your orange ticket and driver's license?

2. do they give u any paper to write on to do calculations (i.e. for biostats or genetic caluculations)?

3. do they provide a place to store ur lunch and bookbag (like a locker)?
 
1 - It should say on the ticket what to bring. As I recall, all you need is an ID (driver's license) and the ticket, but you should double check the info they sent you.

2 - The do provide scratch paper (or a dry erase board).

3 - Yes, they have lockers in which to store personal items, including a lunch.