BS/MD Programs and International Affairs/Public Policy

Started by SNoor101
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SNoor101

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Guys!

i am a high school junior and I am in love with medicine and humanities (human rights and international affairs) I am just wondering if you guys know any school wit these both as majors? so far i have found none that includes both, its either a BA/MD or International Affairs major....😕
 
do yourself a favor and go the traditional 4+4 route to med school. The BS/MD is completely antithetical to having any interest outside science/medicine, especially the accelerated ones (e.g., NEOUCOM), where your 'undergrad' is only pre-med coursework. I was in your shoes in the ancient times when I was in high school, I loved IR policy (still do, have a masters to show for it) and was pre-med. I went to a school very strong in poli-sci and social sciences for undergrad and got an amazing education and a lot of great opportunities, which I'll definitely use down the road as a physician. Even in traditional track public policy is an unusual interest to have, let alone BS/MD.

The only BS/MD program I know of that's open to non-science interests is Brown. I know very little about it, but I'm sure it's extremely competitive. In the end though, you will have a much more fulfilling career if you go to the best undergrad you can get into, do well there, get into a good medical school, and then build a career in IR into your medical studies. Undergrads/med schools that are very open to interest in IR/social sciences and have great global health programs include Harvard, Michigan, Brown, Berkeley/UCSF, etc.
 
Last edited:
That's what I was thinking of doing, but then again the cost of medical school (BLECH), I know medical school is free in Saudi Arabia (but you need to be a Saudi Citizen and need a Saudi mother, I possess none) and they start Medical school right out of High School...only if America could do the same..... next question what are the low cost medical schools in NYS? I am also doing a research Project for INTEL should i put my concern for Medicine in front of International Affairs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's what I was thinking of doing, but then again the cost of medical school (BLECH), I know medical school is free in Saudi Arabia (but you need to be a Saudi Citizen and need a Saudi mother, I possess none) and they start Medical school right out of High School...only if America could do the same..... next question what are the low cost medical schools in NYS? I am also doing a research Project for INTEL should i put my concern for Medicine in front of International Affairs?

NY is a great state to live in terms of med schools, there are plenty of public options. As for going abroad, that's really not a good idea at this point, there is no guarantee you'll be able to find a residency down the road, as more people apply for less spots. Again, go to a good school, if you want to save money, make it a good public school (I was lucky enough to be in-state at an excellent public university), and go from there. As a high school student, just do what you find interesting, you don't have to worry about the pre-med stuff till you get to college.


State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
450 Clarkson Ave
Brooklyn, NY, 11203

State University of New York Upstate Medical University
750 E ADAMS ST
Syracuse, NY, 13210

The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
Level 4 - Room 169
Stony Brook, NY, 11794-8430

University at Buffalo State University of New York School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
3435 Main Street
Buffalo, NY, 14214
 
Are you a New York state resident? Check out Sophie Davis. They have a public health / policy curriculum built in. Its a 7 year medical program in NYC and the tuition is the same as CUNY, including the first 2 years of med school...
 
yep i am from nyc, I will apply to sophie davis, but i am so scared that i might not get in or be rejected.....but i will check into that =] thanks
 
Hi Guys!

i am a high school junior and I am in love with medicine and humanities (human rights and international affairs) I am just wondering if you guys know any school wit these both as majors? so far i have found none that includes both, its either a BA/MD or International Affairs major....😕
Maybe try this (not sure if its what you are looking for)...

Mount Sinai Humanities and Medicine

Program Overview

The Humanities and Medicine Program provides a path to medical school that offers maximum flexibility in the undergraduate years for students to explore their interests in humanities and social sciences at top liberal arts colleges and research universities. The program assures highly motivated undergraduates admission to Mount Sinai upon successful completion of program requirements and graduation from their undergraduate program. MCAT's are neither required nor permitted to be taken.


About Us/FAQ
How to Apply



EDIT: NM, don't think this is what you are looking for. My bad.
 
Last edited:
do yourself a favor and go the traditional 4+4 route to med school. The BS/MD is completely antithetical to having any interest outside science/medicine, especially the accelerated ones (e.g., NEOUCOM), where your 'undergrad' is only pre-med coursework. I was in your shoes in the ancient times when I was in high school, I loved IR policy (still do, have a masters to show for it) and was pre-med. I went to a school very strong in poli-sci and social sciences for undergrad and got an amazing education and a lot of great opportunities, which I'll definitely use down the road as a physician. Even in traditional track public policy is an unusual interest to have, let alone BS/MD.

The only BS/MD program I know of that's open to non-science interests is Brown. I know very little about it, but I'm sure it's extremely competitive. In the end though, you will have a much more fulfilling career if you go to the best undergrad you can get into, do well there, get into a good medical school, and then build a career in IR into your medical studies. Undergrads/med schools that are very open to interest in IR/social sciences and have great global health programs include Harvard, Michigan, Brown, Berkeley/UCSF, etc.
BS/MD programs aren't a "waste of time". It doesn't seem like you yourself were accepted into one. Maybe you should read this (note the bolded):

The responses above highlight common misconceptions and truths regarding BA/MD programs. I am currently in medical school in a BA/MD program.

From my experience, there is a mix of jealousy and difference of opinion and ignorance which leads to some of the misconceptions regarding these programs; and these misconceptions are:
1) BA/MD applicants don't match as well - not sure where "lalalala" got that one from
- At my school and from students I know others, a decent number of the top AOA candidates entered in as BA/MD students
- In addition, everyone in my particular program had a 1500+ on their SAT, several got into Harvard, Yale, and UPENN (including myself) and we all turned them down
2) You cannot diversify your interests and be "well-rounded"
- Go to a 7- and not 6-year program and most programs will encourage you to study abroad, pick a humanities major, etc. if that is what you are into
3) The programs are decreasing in number per year (as per Law2Doc)
- Last time I checked, they had increased nearly 600% since the late 90's in terms of the number of students accepted directly into medical school out of high school

The good things about 7-year programs
1) You don't have to deal with gaming - the art of applying, bull****ing, interviewing, and dealing with the capricious nature of medical school admissions
2) You have the freedom to learn what you want in undergrad
- If anything, you are more free to take risks, study abroad, take random classes because you are already in medical school
3) You distinguish yourself from the "premedical students"
- At my program, I was taking graduate courses in my freshmen year and was already doing research at the NIH
- People are impressed; generally the stats of a BA/MD student kill any other applicant to even Ivy league institutions

Advice:
1) Don't go to a state BA/MD program or a 6-year, those are in decline and are restrictive of what you can do.
2) Go to a private 7- or 8-year BA/MD program that lets you major in whatever and study abroad
3) Make sure you explore programs that provide scholarships.
- My program carries with it substantial scholarship money which again makes it better than the typical "premedical student" applicant route
4) Don't go to a BA/MD program unless you are committed, hard-working, self-motivated, driven and the like
- It is not an option for the lazy to duck out of the MCATs, it is something that is a blessing those who know they want to be a physician but don't want to put up with medical school admissions garbage.


Finally, it is true that most BA/MD students if they went through regular undergrad and then applied could probably go to a better medical school. But, I have saved an inordinate amount of stress, money, wasted time, and grief by not having to apply to medical school. I have had the chance to take classes I never would have as a premed for fear of getting a bad grade (Ancient Greek, Fiction Writing, graduate courses in Forensic Pathology, Tropical Medicine, etc.).

In short, if you fit the personality and know you are suited for medicine and can commit now, go for it.
 
BS/MD programs aren't a "waste of time". It doesn't seem like you yourself were accepted into one. Maybe you should read this (note the bolded):

I never said it was a waste of time, and I agree with most of what the poster you quoted said. I never applied (NEOUCOM was my in-state program, and though some family suggested it, I had absolutely no desire to live in Youngstown/Akron, OH for 6-7 years - the person you quoted does state that public programs, such as NEOUCOM, are in decline and are not good options). Some programs (e.g., Brown, Mt. Sinai) will give you a good broad-based education, but since I graduated high school a year early, I was not eligible for these, and programs like NEOUCOM would not have gotten me to where I wanted to be in my career. But to each their own.
 
Last edited:
since I graduated high school a year early, I was not eligible for these, and programs like NEOUCOM would not have gotten me to where I wanted to be in my career. But to each their own.

Graduating early doesn't mean you're ineligible for BS/MD programs, but it would make it harder to get into one. I remember reading on Brown PLME's website that hs junior applicants were considered but such admissions would be "exceptional". Mt. Sinai's program is also not a BS/MD program.
 
Graduating early doesn't mean you're ineligible for BS/MD programs, but it would make it harder to get into one. I remember reading on Brown PLME's website that hs junior applicants were considered but such admissions would be "exceptional". Mt. Sinai's program is also not a BS/MD program.

I was an excellent student in high school, but far from exceptional. I didn't stand a chance at Brown graduating as a junior, and I knew it.

Got to disagree with you here as a NEOUCOM graduate. Is it harder to get into things...sure. Possible to get into the competivie specialties. Definately. I am in a rad onc residency in a top 10-15 program and had the ability to produce academic research while in medical school. The same can be said for many of my classmates.

I didn't mean not being able to get a competitive specialty out of NEOUCOM (btw, congrats on getting radonc, that is very impressive), but combining my interest in policy and medicine, like what the OP wanted, would have been very difficult there, since a) you can't take anything but science classes and b) none of the undergrad schools have particularly well known political science depts, and this was (and is) something very important to me
 
okay guys chill here =] i hope you guys can act like adults *cough cough*

can someone explain the mount sinai program here to me i was just looking at the requirements but I was so confused in who can apply for it (high school seniors or 2nd year college students?)

thank you guys
 
Maybe I skimmed thru this thread too quickly, but why is the OP so hung up on the issue of BA vs BS? I don't know about other programs, but the one I am in (currently an MS4--WOOHOO!) is a 7-year BAMD, but we were allowed to major in whatever the heck we wanted and get a BA or BS, and had the option of taking extra credits at no extra charge each semester to complete the Bachelor's in 3 years before we entered med school if we so chose (which I did).

I adore Bio and took the opportunity to take random classes like Invertebrate Zoology or wheel-thrown pottery because I felt like it, as the above poster did (I am 99% sure we are at the same school in DC) and I got a BS in Biology, not a BA. Our school is also very well known for its opportunities abroad and in politics and international affairs. I have program classmates that majored in History and Economics because that's what they were interested in. Several of the top people in our class applying to ROADs specialties are BAMD or early selection students, so that never hurt anybody.

And after experiencing the completely ******ed, crazy residency application and interview process this year, I can say that it was TOTALLY WORTH doing an accelerated program and avoiding what I assume may have been an even more harrowing time applying to med school.

The only thing I have to say to anyone considering an accelerated program is to be extremely sure of what your goals are and expect to work very hard. Many of us ended up taking a semester or year off during medical school for various reasons, but in some part I think the stress of cramming a lot of education into a few years had something to do with it.

Good luck with whatever route you go 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup, I'm at GW and going into OBGYN. I'll add that my initial plan in HS, despite being top of the class, great SAT/ECs, etc. was to just go to U of MD basically for free on scholarship with the plan to go pre-med and apply to medical school in the traditional fashion.

I wasn't interested in going far from home or to any particularly "prestigious" school because names do not and have never meant anything to me (I prefer to be impressed based on my own personal observation). I heard about the BA-MD program at GW so figured WTH and applied and got a spot, so naturally I did not turn down the offer.

I am very glad I did. Though at the time I probably didn't realize it, and I'm in considerably more debt than I would be had I gone to UMD, I would say that the convenience and mental benefit of having a guaranteed acceptance without even taking the MCAT was very worth the time, money, and added effort of going to a school I wasn't originally interested in. Great school/education, I feel totally ready for a rough residency in June, but the environment and patient population is just not my style. 25 yrs of living in the area will wear on you, especially at 3am when you have welfare moms and even homeless people talking down to you. On the other hand, you see high-profile politicians all the time which can be fun if you're not used to that.

Good luck to everyone applying. Even in the short time since I was in your shoes, it seems like things have gotten tougher.
 
okay guys chill here =] i hope you guys can act like adults *cough cough*

can someone explain the mount sinai program here to me i was just looking at the requirements but I was so confused in who can apply for it (high school seniors or 2nd year college students?)

thank you guys

The HuMed program is for college sophomores. The only reason I think Hoody mentioned it is because it requires applicants to have humanities majors, but it's not a BS/MD program.