Budget for optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hockeydr24

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm starting my first year at Salus this coming fall and I was wondering if any current students (Salus or not) could give me an idea about what your budget is like....I, along with my family, are trying to get a good idea about how much money I will be spending on things other than tuition and housing....like food and just miscellaneous spending money (not that I will have that much free time). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
 
You should've gotten a financial aid breakdown of each of your 4 yrs at PCO when you were here for your interview. It's a pretty good estimate of how much you will be spending. If you didn't receive it, you can call the admissions office for a copy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
food - $350/month
equipment/exam fees- probably $500/4 months

You will have plenty of free time unless you are a parent

I'm at Western in SoCal. My expenses may be higher due to living cost but just to give you an idea

Rent: $1000 (moving out into something cheaper)
Electricity: $10-$25 area (don't really need AC in SoCal)
Water: $25
Gas (oven , stove) : $9
Renters: $8
Food: I can manage $160-$200/month. I crockpot meals a lot, meal prep, etc.
I have a car payment ($200), phone bill, and car insurance but disregard that
Car Gas: $60-$80 (expensive here)
Health Insurance
Medical Needs : $20
----

In terms of first year equipment and books:
-My diagnostic kit (Welch allyn) was appx $900
- my rolling trial lens kit / stethoscope / blood pressure cuff/ and other stuff was appx $2,400-2,600
- books... maybe $50 lol.

Hopefully that helped! Philly may be similar to SoCal pricing or less in some areas. Salus should have given you a tuition and living breakdown. Westerns tuition breakdown was pretty accurate for me.
 
Last edited:
Hi! I'm a first year at SUNY Optometry, however I am special in that my housing was bought. It's a cozy studio apartment in Queens.

Maintenence fee (because may apartment is a co-op)- 580 include electricity and water,
Internet- 35
Food- 450 ( I only cook when I have time which is almost never. I just tend to eat out a lot.)
Transportation - 121.50 (I have a monthly pass for the subway. I don't drive. This is NYC. )
Health Insurance- a 35 copay from the time I got dermatitis, and had to go to urgent care. I'm on my mom's insurance.
Diagnostic kit and 90D lens- 1314 (I have a Heine diagnostic kit, and the Volk 90D. I highly recommend you get the Volk 90D, even if you get a different diagnostic kit.)
All my other equipment (trial lens kit, stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, stereopsis, etc. ) ~1800