Burr cells (Echinocytes)???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOML

easily amused
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow how about this new format guys??? Is it just me or did the SDN interface become much SLOWER?

Anyway, I came across Burr cells (Echinocytes) in one of my hema questions in a Qbank. It wasn't the answer, but was one of the wrong choices, with a brief rationale explaining that -

Burr cells are RBC's with small spicules uniformly arranged around (this differentiates it from acanthocytes 'spur cells'). Seen in PK deficiency, Hemolytic-uremic syndrome, Uremia etc..
The shape is brought about by dec. ATP in RBC (as in PK def. as well as AGING - old RBC's make less ATP???)

Some info. I got here:
https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/rbcmorph/echino.htm

Needless to say, this isn't in FA, hence my post.

Question: Did any of you encounter this in the exam? How important is this (Burr cells), or should I just not worry about it since it isn't even in FA?

Members don't see this ad.

I think its worth annotating, I've gotten it before on heme/onc questions, either through USMLERx or Goljan Rapid review questions. I know its talked about in Rapid Review pathology.

Just annotate: Burr cells: with 1. Uremia, 2. Pyruvate kinase deficiency, 3. Liver damage (although different mechanism of membrane alteration than that seen with acanthocyte/spur cells)

p.s. this format blows.
p.s.s. Actually I like some of the features. I've always wanted there to be a "like" button for posts like on facebook, instead of /qoute-replying "^this" or "I agree" lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also seen in malnutrition associated with mild hemolysis due to hypomagnesemia and hypophosphatemia & hemolytic anemia in long-distance runners.

Must rule out in vitro causes like elevated pH, blood storage, ATP depletion, calcium accumulation, and contact with glass.

Reactions: 1 users