Calculating the enthalpy of a reaction

Started by HenryH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

This is a fairly simple question dealing with enthalpy calculation, but I'm stuck on one little part. Here is the question:



"Given the following reactions:
N2 + O2 ==> 2NO enthalpy = +180.7 kJ
N2 + 2O2 ==> 2NO2 enthalpy = +66.4 kJ

Calculate the enthalpy of reaction for

2NO + O2 ==> 2NO2"


1.) I reversed the first reaction so that I would have 2NO ==> N2 + O2. The enthalpy also becomes -180.7 kJ.

2.) I left the second reaction unaltered.

With the changes made, I would now have:

2NO ==> N2 + O2
N2 + 2O2 ==> 2NO2

The N2 elements would cancel out -- I understand that much. However, what would happen with the 2O2 and O2? Would one of the O2 elements cancel out, leaving me with just one O2 (which is what I need to get to the final reaction and calculate the enthalpy)?
 
Yes, you're correct. N2 will cancel out. O2 will cancel out and leave just one O2 in the final equation. Also don't forget to flip the sign of the reaction you just flipped.