California Northstate University College of Medicine(CNUCOM): Avoid this school at all costs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waldman.

Members don't see this ad.

... and may remain so until they find a replacement. LCME would not take kindly to an institution on probation that does not have a Dean.

Members don't see this ad :)
They shouldn’t even be interviewing or enrolling a class until off probation (I know that other schools have continued normally while on probation, but those were established, nonprofit schools like Baylor) . Feel bad for the people who don’t have an A at the end of the cycle and may be tempted to interview or accept A

At a normal medical school, they would have named an Acting Dean and pasted his pic onto the website ASAP in order to maintain a look of legitimacy .
But this is not a "normal" medical school!

Incidentally, if you look at the school webpage you will find a cardiologist who departed over a year ago listed as a Vice Dean.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
The latest announced departures, both Anatomists, who were recently recognized by the students with teaching awards, and their only Physiologist.
More are to follow…..

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
The latest announced departures, both Anatomists, who were recently recognized by the students with teaching awards, and their only Physiologist.
More are to follow…..
Are there any Anatomy faculty left? If not, it's kinda hard to hire people with 1-2 months prior to orientation.

Reactions: 1 user
Heard that they have a new recruit of questionable competence & a veterinarian who will serve as the Physiologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course not! But faculty who left more than a year ago are still listed on the institution’s website.

Exits continue, the most recent being the GI course director (& the only gastroenterologist on the faculty). The GI course is supposed to start in 2 weeks!

This story gets better every time I get a notification from this thread.
1660942962020.png

1660942973808.png

1660942814636.png

1660942594966.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
But wait, I see the captain & crew clinking glasses having lured another 118 on board!!!

Are you joking? If you are lucky you get a leaky inner tube. I will leave the manufacturing country to your imagination.

Last edited:
  • Haha
What happens to students who got accepted already and will be going in? Will there be anyone left to teach? With so many people jumping ship this just seems worse and worse. Sucks this is happening to a school in my state.

The Course Director for the M4 electives has departed, as have four of the listed M1/2 Course Directors, the M1 Haematology Course (which is not even listed on the Course Directors webpage) has had a pathologist serving as the CD for the past 2 years, and 3 of the M3 Clerkship Directors are no longer there!
LCME must be blissfully unaware of the true state of affairs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
The Course Director for the M4 electives has departed, as have four of the listed M1/2 Course Directors, the M1 Haematology Course (which is not even listed on the Course Directors webpage) has had a pathologist serving as the CD for the past 2 years, and 3 of the M3 Clerkship Directors are no longer there!
The crowning glory of course is that the Medical School has not had a dean since the previous appointee suddenly left. The Interim Dean is not even a "medical doctor"

The crowning glory of course is that the Medical School has not had a dean since the previous appointee suddenly left. The Interim Dean is not even a "medical doctor"
Who's the interim Dean? A PhD?

At this point, I strongly suspect that they're in major accreditation violation territory. Wise @gyngyn, @Med Ed @Mr.Smile12 , @lord999 what say you???

Drop a note a to LCME about this.

Goodness, this is awful. I really feel for those students. There was also recently a town hall there, presumably about all of this. I sincerely hope that they were honest with the student body about how dire things are looking...

• Sad

At this point, I strongly suspect that they're in major accreditation violation territory. Wise @gyngyn, @Med Ed @Mr.Smile12 , @lord999 what say you???

Yes, a PhD, the same person who tried to mislead people at a city council meeting by representing herself as a private citizen.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Dislike
Goodness, this is awful. I really feel for those students. There was also recently a town hall there, presumably about all of this. I sincerely hope that they were honest with the student body about how dire things are looking...
Of course not!
The students were told that now they had successfully cleared the hurdle of medical school admission, they were assured of graduation.

• Sad

Can’t comment further besides I would definitely report this to LCME. They already are on notice.

..... but still they (students) come!
Not hard to attract students that assume that any American MD school is reputable…and 99 times out of 100, that’s a fair assumption.

any new developments on this? i do fear for the students and hope for the best for them, but i really want this predatory school out of here if it's going to keep these shady practices up and prioritize money over the students.

any new developments on this? i do fear for the students and hope for the best for them, but i really want this predatory school out of here if it's going to keep these shady practices up and prioritize money over the students.
No Dean for more than 6-months (the acting Dean is a PhD & since this is not acceptable by the LCME, is not listed as so on the college website), the course director for the GI course departed just before the start of the course & the hastily recruited replacement was a disaster........

• Wow
No Dean for more than 6-months (the acting Dean is a PhD & since this is not acceptable by the LCME, is not listed as so on the college website), the course director for the GI course departed just before the start of the course & the hastily recruited replacement was a disaster........
wouldn't LCME find out about this like very soon though? I don't know what they could do, but I feel like something like this where they are blatantly lying and hiding something that is clearly not acceptable by LCME, would be met with some consequences

The school remains deanless. Appears that no academician wishes to include an association with this institution in their resume.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
The school remains deanless. Appears that no academician wishes to include an association with this institution in their resume.
What happened to accreditation appeal process?

I put March 31, 2023, in my calendar last year to check on it, so based on what the LCME previously announced, I think there will be some kind of announcement or update by the end of March.

Edit: I don't recall WHY I put that date in there, but I assume that I had a reason at the time. :)

Last edited:
  • Hmm
What happened to accreditation appeal process?
Smoke & mirrors, and a bunch of Band-Aids. Remains to be seen if these are enough to reassure LCME that the outlook is rosy.

So they've been on probation for a year; has anything improved there?
Yes, last year's incoming class size (if you consider the increase in number to be an "improvement" :)

• Haha
In recent memory no medical school has ever loss accreditation, I doubt this school will either.They will just be on probation forever