This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColumbiaOrtho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I was wondering if this fundraiser can be counted as community service. I have been doing a fundraiser for one girl in Vietnam who was born with cleft lip. She is from a very poor family and her family could not afford the money for surgery, so she had to rely on nonprofit organization for her surgeries. However, they didnt do a good job when she was young and left the country without completing her surgical process, and because of this she has a big scar from her lip to nostril. She also has a severe underbite malocclusion that she has a hard time communicating with people. She has been neglected and discriminated from her community, and I wanted to help her out to complete her surgical journey as I was also born with cleft lip, so I began my fundraiser with the help from my club organizations, student government, and my friend's sorority and ran various events along with gofundme. With the donations we made, she is now receiving her first treatment to fix her cleft palate, which is enlarging her upper palate. I was wondering if this can be counted as community service, even though I am not physically involved in helping the community?
I would call charitable giving, but don't think that it qualifies as community service. I suppose you need to dig deeper into the definition of what the different ECs are.