Can an IMG from Ross practice more widely abroad than a US DO?

Started by jpak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jpak

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been looking everywhere for an answer to this question. I've found that US DO's are only granted equal practice rights to US MD's in ~45 countries. After completing a US residency and becoming board certified, can an IMG from Ross practice more widely abroad than a US DO?

I ask only because my interest in medicince stems from my desire to travel abroad to offer care to the underserved around the world. I don't care much that graduates from Ross can practice in all 50 states -- I want to know if they can practice in more than the 45 countries that US DO graduates are permitted to practice in. If my eventual goal was to practice only in the US, I would chose a US DO school over Ross.

Instead, my eventual goal is to specialize in general surgery and spend most of my time traveling abroad and I want to choose the path that will cause me the least worry about whether or not my degree is recognized or my credentials are accepted. Thoughts?

If this question has been answered elsewhere, I apologize.

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the response, albeit brief. So, you are saying that a FMG from Ross would end up with the same international practice rights as someone with a US MD -- allowing them greater international practice freedom than a US DO?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can practise in many of the third world countries - where you went for med school won't matter as long as you hold an american board.

Just curious, where did you get the number "45" from? Any link?
 
You need to worry about passing med school.

DO = MD is the civilized world. Who cares about the animals in the developing world? They usually have enough MDs from local med schools anyway.