This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Fail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very good list. Get rid of Vermont and Central Michigan but add Michigan state and George Washington.

I wasn't too sure on Vermont, so now I know I can get rid of it. Why not Central Michigan? They matriculate a good amount of Canadians each year. Should I add Tulane, Georgetown and Jefferson?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't too sure on Vermont, so now I know I can get rid of it. Why not Central Michigan? They matriculate a good amount of Canadians each year. Should I add Tulane, Georgetown and Jefferson?
Central Michigan is specifically looking for people with commitments to their local area. I know one person who got into Central Michigan in the previous cycle and she's lived in the area all of her life. You can add Tulane, GT and Jefferson if you wish, but be aware that GT and Jefferson are very low yield since so many people apply to them. I have personally never met any Canadian who interviewed at GT or Jefferson or Tulane, but I've met Canadians who interviewed at Cornell, Kentucky, Boston, Wayne (3+), mayo, NYMC, George Washington (3+), St. Louis, Upstate, Einstein etc so they may be better options.

Edit - forgot the mention Sinai. That's definitely a good school to add.

Reactions: 1 user
Fellow Canadian here applying this cycle - are you applying this cycle or next cycle? From your list I'm currently holding IIs from Upstate, Yale (and Sinai from summergirl's recommendation). I'd recommend taking out Tufts; I don't think they accepted international for three years straight.

Central Michigan is specifically looking for people with commitments to their local area. I know one person who got into Central Michigan in the previous cycle and she's lived in the area all of her life. You can add Tulane, GT and Jefferson if you wish, but be aware that GT and Jefferson are very low yield since so many people apply to them. I have personally never met any Canadian who interviewed at GT or Jefferson or Tulane, but I've met Canadians who interviewed at Cornell, Kentucky, Boston, Wayne (3+), mayo, NYMC, George Washington (3+), St. Louis, Upstate, Einstein etc so they may be better options.

Edit - forgot the mention Sinai. That's definitely a good school to add.

You can add one Canadian for Jefferson! But yeah, Upstate seems to be nice to Canadians. And Kentucky didn't seem to like me (no secondary?!) despite offering me interview in past application cycle. I improved as they suggested, so....hurts a little.

If anybody wants to talk to another Canadian, I applied many years ago to MD/PhD but things should still be about the same. Send me a message and I can give you my stats, list of schools etc.

Fellow Canadian here applying this cycle - are you applying this cycle or next cycle? From your list I'm currently holding IIs from Upstate, Yale (and Sinai from summergirl's recommendation). I'd recommend taking out Tufts; I don't think they accepted international for three years straight.

You can add one Canadian for Jefferson! But yeah, Upstate seems to be nice to Canadians. And Kentucky didn't seem to like me (no secondary?!) despite offering me interview in past application cycle. I improved as they suggested, so....hurts a little.

I am applying this cycle. I was mainly choosing schools close to the Canadian border, who I've heard are quite friendly to Canadians.