-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1106629

-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Also Canadian. There's tons of threads here discussing internships, I'd definitely recommend reading up on more threads and also checking out the PagingDr (Aus Med) forums. Different states seem to have different prioritization frameworks with Victoria being one of the few where IMGs are not bottom of the ranking.

It sounds like for the last decade or so there have always been concerns about an intership crisis. Many of the schools recently have been able to get internships for nearly all the students but more schools have opened up lately - there's more graduating students so there's really no gaurentee.

There is something called JDTP which offers additional spots so try reading up on that.

A major factor is which school you go to. Up to this point, internationals at my school have all been able to stay for an instate internship, if they wanted. Also, anecdotally, the JDTP is undersibscribed every year, meaning that if you just want a job, any job any where, as an intern, you can almost certainly get one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I couldn't find an exact thread answering my questions regarding wanting to stay and practice medicine in Australia, so here are my questions. How hard is it to obtain an internship/residency in Australia as a Canadian student? If it is difficult, could I apply for permanent residence in Australia so that I would be a part of the Australian citizen pool for residency matching (since they are apparently prioritized)?

Feel free to provide any other insight on staying in Aus to practice medicine.
Getting Internship is pretty doable as posters above you stated. its basically a first year resident position after you graduate med school. In Australia you apply for a resident job each year until you get into a speciality college training program equivalent to "residency" (which can take years) but there is no such thing as a "residency" in Australia. Please read up on how the Australian medical training system is structured. It is very different from the US/Canadian model.

It takes a while to get permanent residency. You will not get it while a med student. You will be invited to apply for it after 5-7 or so years of living in Australia. You can still work as a doctor without PR but you will not get into speciality training programs without it. Most foreign doctors living in Australia get it eventually.

So I’m going to have to wait for 5-7 years to specialize/residency training?

As someone who is willing to practice in Canada, US or Aus, wouldn’t the carribean be a better choice then if I have to wait that long to match into some sort of residency training?
Australian training is longer overall, even for Australian students, see here for more info: Pathways to Practicing Medicine | Australian Medical Students’ Association If you want to finish training sooner, the US or Canada are better options but of course it's harder to get into those schools.

So I’m going to have to wait for 5-7 years to specialize/residency training?

As someone who is willing to practice in Canada, US or Aus, wouldn’t the carribean be a better choice then if I have to wait that long to match into some sort of residency training?
If you want to practice in Canada or the US, you can apply to match right after you graduate from Australian med school. You don't need to wait. In Australia you work as a junior doctor or resident or unaccredited registrar for several years before getting onto a specialty program. This varies depending on the competitiveness of the specialty. It can take anywhere from 2-3 years to upwards of 7 for super competitive specialities like ortho or neurosurg. Waiting on PR complicates this somewhat but you are still working as a doctor, building your CV, and making an income in the meantime while you wait. It's hard to explain.

Caribbean is never a good idea. High attrition rate. Low prestige.

Reactions: 2 users
How well do Australian graduates fare for matching to the US / Canada? I know they are classified as IMGs having a big disadvantage but how hard is it to match into moderately competitive specialties? (i.e: Rads and Anesthesiology?)

How well do Australian graduates fare for matching to the US / Canada? I know they are classified as IMGs having a big disadvantage but how hard is it to match into moderately competitive specialties? (i.e: Rads and Anesthesiology?)
most likely extremely difficult. you can look at the stats on carms. but UQ also publishes data, majority is Family medicine, Internal medicine, psychiatry, pediatrics and neurology. It’s hard for canadian to even get residencies in radiology and anaesthesiology. I think with UQ across the past 5 years there was only 1 person who matched into anaesthesiology

if @Wolvvs can confirm, you get to apply for PR during PGY-1 (internship), and you'll get PR
I would actually defer to @sean80439 on that particular question, since iirc they've actually been through the whole process. From what I remember, most are able to get PR within at least the first few years although not necessarily the first year

Reactions: 1 user
For the 189 and 190, you can't apply until you have general registration - so PGY2+. 189 is points tested, 190 requires sponsorship from the state. There is also the 482 pathway where you get to apply for PR after a certain time on the temporary version of that visa. No idea what the visa situation is even like at present, however, due to covid there has been a drop in availability of doctors due to limited people coming from the UK that normally used to come.

Reactions: 2 users
For the 189 and 190, you can't apply until you have general registration - so PGY2+. 189 is points tested, 190 requires sponsorship from the state. There is also the 482 pathway where you get to apply for PR after a certain time on the temporary version of that visa. No idea what the visa situation is even like at present, however, due to covid there has been a drop in availability of doctors due to limited people coming from the UK that normally used to come.
Was talking to my cousin who went to medical school in 2017 from Canada. Just got her 189 last week.