Cardiac call rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

castafari

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of cardiac only call rates are out there right now? This is home call, rarely ever get called in. W2. 12 hour night call and 24 hour weekend. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Per aneftp, same as your OT rate, lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just depends on CT team size.
We have 10 on our panel.
My call in rate is extremely low.
Usual stuff when we get called in (Type A, cath lab dissection, etc).
ECMO should be day time.

@,5 FTE my cardiac call is very rare.
1-3 calls a month.
Stipend for call isn’t much.
No extra pay if 1-3rd call I believe.
If “late guy plus heart” it’s something like $250/hr plus late call stipend and heart call stipend.

I’m looking to pick up a few nights per month of home call and a weekend or two of home call cardiac only. “Private practice” doesn’t exist here anymore so it’s working for a mega AMC as a W2. they want to pay me as W2 per diem not 1099. What rates are out there for cardiac only home call? Thanks

Call back is rare but occasional cabg, dissections, pericardial windows. Maybe 1-2 emergencies per month if that

Curious: for home call, when the call-in time starts? The time you receive the phone call, arrive at hospital, or the case starts?

Curious: for home call, when the call-in time starts? The time you receive the phone call, arrive at hospital, or the case starts?
Base rate plus clock in for hourly rate on arrival

We are pp there are 5 of us.
$1200 for a weekend 24
$500 for weekday overnight
hourly rate if called in around $250/hr

We looked at our own inhouse data and its around 4-5% call in.
How much you are working matters. I'm getting called in once a quarter I see it as easy money that adds up.

$1200 for a weekend 24

How much you are working matters. I'm getting called in once a quarter I see it as easy money that adds up.
Ok thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of cardiac only call rates are out there right now? This is home call, rarely ever get called in. W2. 12 hour night call and 24 hour weekend. Thanks
It really depends on how the days are.

If you’re starting 3-5pm for your second cabg of the day routinely on call, then working the next day because you’re taking q3 week call, then it needs to be a lot more.

If call entails a single aortic valve finishing at 130pm then on call for a take back on that case or emergencies, different story.

I think it should be an hourly rate with a small stipend with the hourly beginning at a normal generalist call time start. If it starts at 5pm though and you’re often working until 9-10 then it needs to be you get the next day off.

Figure out the surgery schedule first, then price call accordingly. Should be something you can figure with chart reviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Our private group pays ourselves about $1300 for the 24 hour call plus about $300/hr for call in work after hours, this in in addition to your regular work/pay. 1/4 calls result in an evening/night call back for bleed, dissection whatever.

So most calls are basically an extra $1300 and you work/earn the next day.

My practice is a little larger. ~30 cardiac call taking docs sharing call (no CRNAs). 3-4 on call on any given weekday/weekend. About two first calls on weeknights per month. Roughly one full weekend call every 7th weekend, which consists of one first call per weekend. Home call only, with probably a 25% call in rate for cold legs, Vascular injuries, Type A Dissections, ECMO/Impella initiation, very rare CABGs and Strokes. Sometimes have a non-Cardiac person also on call to do non-Cardiac cases. Bring backs within 24 hours are done by the person who took care of the patient for the initial surgery (Not the call team). No trauma or OB. Sometimes post call day off if the schedule allows.

One Doc agreed to take 4 other docs first call only. His going rate for this is 2500 for a weekday, 5000 for a whole weekend. This seems a little much to me for home call (especially since the person giving up the call is paying the tax), but I guess I wouldn't do it for less than this either. So, I guess this is a fair rate then 🤷‍♂️

Hope this helps as a comparison

• Hmm
$2000 per call (24 hrs) and $400/hr if called in. High acuity (transplants, dissections, bringbacks, MCS, etc). You work but it’s not easy. Seems fair.

$1200 for a weekend 24

What’s your response time? If you are expected to receive the patient in the OR within 1 hour of activation, you really can’t go anywhere and have to stay home the entire time you are on weekend call.

$1200 to lose a weekend day to do anything seems low

What’s your response time? If you are expected to receive the patient in the OR within 1 hour of activation, you really can’t go anywhere and have to stay home the entire time you are on weekend call.

$1200 to lose a weekend day to do anything seems low
30 minutes away, and I agree with you. What it comes down to is we have to negotiate this with 20 other anesthesiologists in the group who wonder why we make 40k+ more than them to sit at home. We have had some lively meetings about this exact topic and it is where we are for now. It used to be even less not long ago. I am letting the issue rest for a year or 2 until a cardiac retirement or our current stipend negotiation stirs things up again.

Reactions: 2 users
Would anyone do 24h in house call for 500ph on avg? Sometimes a lot more.
Avg 6 hrs sleep
3 or 4 per month

Caveat. Don't work post call but Can't opt out of a further about 12 days work per month.

Can't split shifts. Gotta do the whole 24/25

Cases vary from bread and butter off pumps to triple valve ECMO disasters, impellas etc but they're usually shipped out soon after.

Last edited:
Avg 6 hrs sleep
3 or 4 per month
I already do that many 24h OB shifts/month. The way it's compensated is worth like $350-360/hr. But they're usually pretty chill shifts with a decent amount of sleep, exercise, eating, socializing, Netflix/youtube, etc.

For that money, I'd be signing up for 8 of those/month and not working any other days!

Avg 6 hrs sleep
3 or 4 per month

Caveat. Don't work post call but Can't opt out of a further about 12 days work per month.

Cases vary from bread and butter off pumps to triple valve ECMO disasters, impellas etc but they're usually shipped out soon after.

If you can’t split it, I’d suck it up and do the whole thing because the money is very good.

Avg 6 hrs sleep
3 or 4 per month

R u kidding me? 12k a shift w 6 hour sleep time? Yes.
Def. worth it if you have it in you, especially if you have the ability to ship out.

R u kidding me? 12k a shift w 6 hour sleep time? Yes.
Def. worth it if you have it in you, especially if you have the ability to ship out.
I’ll take that over a busy OB shift any day- and i don’t do OB anymore (🙌🏽).

Avg 6 hrs sleep
3 or 4 per month

I would sign up for every weekend.

30 minutes away, and I agree with you. What it comes down to is we have to negotiate this with 20 other anesthesiologists in the group who wonder why we make 40k+ more than them to sit at home. We have had some lively meetings about this exact topic and it is where we are for now. It used to be even less not long ago. I am letting the issue rest for a year or 2 until a cardiac retirement or our current stipend negotiation stirs things up again.
You need to find one or two of your cardiac folks to be your “anger translators” aka bad guys. In my experience many of the cardiac folks are very hardworking, selfless, patient care focused etc but not willing to stand up for themselves and their value to the group.

Reactions: 2 users