This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovegrapesoda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Passion is overrated, do what you're good at and don't hate.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem very indecisive. One moment you want to be a teacher, one moment a physician, and now you want to go into law. Do what you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I'm very indecisive. I just don't want to make a mistake :/

Making mistakes is part of growing up. At the very least I would suggest a gap year and more diverse shadowing before going down the physician route.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

So over the past few months I've been slowly moving against applying to med school. When I compare myself to other people who want to be a doctor, my passion level seems to be much less than theirs. I could see myself being happy as a humble, non-gunner type physician. I used to want to be a psychiatrist until I was told that most of the time they just read from a chart and prescribe, which is definitely not what I want to do. I was always against primary care but it seems more attractive for me. I know if I work hard I can make it to and through med school, that's not the issue. But I've discovered a new interest in law, but I think my idea of it is too idealistic and not very realistic. I've always thought of teaching, but I've only heard bad things about it. I only have orgo 2 lab and physics 2 left to take for the pre-reqs and I wouldn't take the MCAT until fall 2018 so I'd apply in 2019. Another problem is that I really hated all the prereqs. I'm dreading taking genetics and other sciences. I would love to take psych, poli sci, religion, and history classes. Those are so interesting. But what would I do with degrees in those? Idk. I guess I like medicine because the path is clear cut, which is a terrible reason. Now I'm rambling. Any thoughts are welcomed.
Sounds like you don't like science. If you don't like science, you shouldn't do medicine imo. It's not a matter of whether you could do it or not. I made it through physics and English classes successfully but I'd be miserable in a career where I'd have to think about physics and literature all day.

I think it's important to get information from people who are actually in the professions you're interested in. Go talk to lawyers in different areas. Find a professor or two that you admire and ask them what they like/dislike about their job. Any occupation comes with its up and down sides, and many of the people in professional degrees considered multiple career paths before deciding to land where they are now.

I say take your time. I would recommend taking phys2/orgo2 since you're so close to done with pre-reqs anyways and then just taking time to think about what you want to do / explore other options. It seems like you're basing a lot of your thoughts on medicine on what other people have told you, which I have found to not be very helpful. Maybe try to shadow a psychiatrist and a primary care doc? People often like to say specialties only do X or Y but the reality is almost always very different. If you finish the pre-reqs, do some shadowing, and decide you hate what you see, just move on. You can always come back. Or maybe you find a doctor who you really admire and find their work super interesting and that reignites your passion. Finally, don't take genetics etc if you don't want to. I only took the pre-reqs and didn't really take any other science classes and that hasn't been an issue at all this cycle.

TLDR: I think it's normal to not be sure what you want to do while in undergrad. Take some time to actually explore medicine and other fields, there's no need to rush.

It sounds as if you haven't given significant (or meaningful/deep) thought to the question: "what do I think I want to do after I graduate from college?"

Some friendly suggestions:

1. Take a gap year and/or enroll in some different courses that seem to interest you in school (e.g., psychology, poly sci, etc.). This will provide you with an opportunity to figure out "what" you might want to explore and pursue in your own life.
2. Meet with individuals who are already employed in the careers that interest you (e.g., teaching, law, medicine, psychology, poly sci, etc.). Bring a list of questions with you. Shadow them, if possible. Ask them about the good things about their career, as well as the not-so-good things about their career.
3. Apply for a real-time job, go to work for a while, earn a steady salary, and figure out if you'd rather be gainfully employed (and not be a student going to school).
4. Feel free to schedule an appointment with a career counselor at your school to discuss your thoughts, goals and concerns. They're accustomed to working with students who don't know what they want to do (or are indecisive); and they might be able to provide you with useful counsel and guidance at this time in your life.

Ultimately, the choice will be up to you. So, be prepared to make an effort to achieve your goals.

Reactions: 4 users